Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Anyone know if a grandfathered AT&T line can be transferred? I've read that it can be done but you have to know someone in AT&T. Is this true?

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
What do you mean transfered?
Why dont you call AT&T and ask them what you need or trying to do to get a 100% answer depending on your situation.

My question was I wanted to know if it was true that it can be done if you know someone in AT&T.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Again, as he said, until we know what you mean by "transferred", we can't answer your question.

Ok someone is interested in one of my unlimited AT&T lines. Do you have to know someone in AT&T that can implement taking over my unlimited line?

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
mean like transfering the line to someone else to take over? I heard you lose it when you do the TOL. Just call att and talk to retentions and ask them and if they say yes, proceed.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Ok someone is interested in one of my unlimited AT&T lines. Do you have to know someone in AT&T that can implement taking over my unlimited line?

He can take over the account. Transfer of liability it's called.
He has to use the same phone number or change the number after if he wants.
I'd call them for more details but I heard its possible.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
I had this same problem when my gf transferred her line to my account. We called AT&T and they told us that the request would be sent to management for review. About 3 days later we got an email saying the request was denied.

Not a good outcome, but hope this helps.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
Nope, a "Transfer of Billing Responsibility" with AT&T will NOT transfer unlumited data. I learned this the hard way a few months ago when I took over a line from someone in the XDA Marketplace. AT&T told me to wait a week and call them back but the request was denied like the person above me. That was probably just to stall for time and get me off their backs, though...I didn't want to make the person who gave me the line to take the ETF so I ended up paying it.

Last edited:

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Nope, a "Transfer of Billing Responsibility" with AT&T will NOT transfer unlumited data. I learned this the hard way a few months ago when I took over a line from someone in the XDA Marketplace. AT&T told me to wait a week and call them back but the request was denied like the person above me. That was probably just to stall for time and get me off their backs, though...I didn't want to make the person who gave me to line to take the ETF so I ended up paying it.

Right I understand this. I've read that it can be done if you know someone in AT&T. And wanted to know if it was true or not?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.