Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you see Image retention on your rMBP with this test?

• Total voters

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
You all are going to laugh.. but are you ready for a twist ?

Loving my Samsung screen replacement from the LG.. but found something strange!

While at work I sometimes like to drop the screen brightness all the way down using the brightness keys. In the past this has basically disabled the backlight on the screen, but you can still make out LCD activity ie text etc if you look closely at the screen, sort of similar effect to an old school Kindle, it just isn't backlit, but the effect was uniform throughout the screen.

On this samsung... i have the same behavior more or less, kindle type text with the brightness all the way down, however right in the middle, it is illuminated significantly more than the rest of the screen, in the form of the apple logo in the back!

So bizzarre... but if i step back I see it is the form of the apple logo

Can those with Samsung screens see if they drop the brightness all the way down, can you see the apple logo coming through in the center of the screen?

NOT an issue really as when the backlight is on even 1 notch up the effect dissapears, but i find this pretty lolworthy and slightly bizzare...

This is totally normal. My PowerBook from 2004 had this too, and every portable Mac I've had since.

The apple logo at the back is simply lit by the lightspreader film of the screen. There is nothing between the back of the screen and the apple. So it indeed follows the brightness of the screen's backlight (since it is lit by it) and it also allows some light to pass through the other way.

I've even seen it with the screen on full once, when I was working on the train and the sun was low in the distance. I bet it's more pronounced on the retina model because the screen is so thin that the shape of the Apple isn't blurred out by all the layers it travels through. On the powerbook it was more like a blurry Apple-shaped blob :)

Hezzaa

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2010
I have this problem too with my LG display. I'm a student and I live 200 km away from the nearest Apple approved store that does repairs. I can't really be without a computer as I need it for studying. Also Apple wants me to use my own money to take the computer to the store to address an issue thats completely their fault. Tbh I'm not very pleased as I already paid a fair amount of money for this computer that doesn't even work as intended.

LGsucks.png

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
I live about 5 hrs away from an apple store. Who all has sent theirs in for screen replacement and how did that go? Turn around time? I'm taking online classes and would hate to be without it for long. My screen is fine right now so I'm just being curious.

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
Got a 15" rMBP BTO in the air currently. After image retention and ghosting with LG TVs I have owned in the past I hope mine just arrives with the Samsung screen....can't be bothered with hassle of sending back every time!

liVec

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
Had LG, got it replaced because of IR.
Now i have Samsung and am ever happy with it

mikehodges2

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
I was watching this thread before I bought my rMBP, so thought I'd sign up to say that my 2.6/16/512, ordered on the 20th nov (ish) came with a Samsung display.

darcyjames

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
LG here

Color LCD
LP154WT1-SJA1
DCN223504XVDMJ0AB

Let image on screen sit with full brightness for 20 min and when I close the image there are very faint cross hair checkerboard lines, but the white and black don't appear any different. After 2-3 minutes of web-browsing I checked the dark gray background again and it was gone. This test was extreme scenario and I hadn't even checked my display manufacturer until I read this thread (had rMBP for 5 months).

I can report that, after 5 months with my LG rMBP, all other (non-retina) displays do indeed look blurry.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
LG here

Color LCD
LP154WT1-SJA1
DCN223504XVDMJ0AB

Let image on screen sit with full brightness for 20 min and when I close the image there are very faint cross hair checkerboard lines, but the white and black don't appear any different. After 2-3 minutes of web-browsing I checked the dark gray background again and it was gone. This test was extreme scenario and I hadn't even checked my display manufacturer until I read this thread (had rMBP for 5 months).

I can report that, after 5 months with my LG rMBP, all other (non-retina) displays do indeed look blurry.

Same as mine (same age too), not nearly bad enough to ask for a replacement.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
I tested the LG screen of my 15 inch rMBP for 5 minutes and saw a very light shadow of the checkers, was gone pretty quickly. Some people say should replace it, wonder if it will really get worst, does not bothers me at all right now.

Few questions:

1-What would be the argument to claim for a replacement ?
2-Do I have to prove the issue / show the service guy the problem? There are no Apple stores in Puerto Rico, but there are a few authorized resellers (once sent my Ipad 2 under warranty through one of them, got back a new / refurbished unit)
3-having the 3 year Apple Care on the machine; should I really claim for a replacement inmediately?
4-Does everyone who send an Apple Mac on warranty always get a new / refurbished unit?
5-Could it happen that they send me back the same machine (with the same LG screen) claiming there is no real issue??

Thanks

Last edited:

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009
i have had my 15 inch retina since launch and it seems the ir is getting worse over time. it now takes less time to see ir and it can also be seen on a non grey background. anyone else experience worse ir over time and how long does it take u to see ir?

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
third time the charm

at least for now.

got a new 2.6/16/256, this was the third one. First was LG with IR, second was LG with low brightness. This one is samsung screen, no dead pixels, no apparent IR and more brightness. VERY NICE. I'll keep letting it cook but seems if you win you lotto it does make a difference.

Week 48

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
You can't send it in somewhere instead of going to a store?

I have this problem too with my LG display. I'm a student and I live 200 km away from the nearest Apple approved store that does repairs. I can't really be without a computer as I need it for studying. Also Apple wants me to use my own money to take the computer to the store to address an issue thats completely their fault. Tbh I'm not very pleased as I already paid a fair amount of money for this computer that doesn't even work as intended.

Haiku214

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
I've been using my rmbp for 6 months now and never really bothered checking who made my screen as I've never had any IR issues since. Today I just found out that mine is indeed samsung. I bought mine on the first day it showed up on my local apple retail store (June 2012).

jangozo

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
Almost a week into having my samsung screen rMBP and there is barely noticeable IR. So far it's not annoying so I'll keep it until (or if) it gets worse.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I tested the LG screen of my 15 inch rMBP for 5 minutes and saw a very light shadow of the checkers, was gone pretty quickly. Some people say should replace it, wonder if it will really get worst, does not bothers me at all right now.

Few questions:

1-What would be the argument to claim for a replacement ?
2-Do I have to prove the issue / show the service guy the problem? There are no Apple stores in Puerto Rico, but there are a few authorized resellers (once sent my Ipad 2 under warranty through one of them, got back a new / refurbished unit)
3-having the 3 year Apple Care on the machine; should I really claim for a replacement inmediately?
4-Does everyone who send an Apple Mac on warranty always get a new / refurbished unit?
5-Could it happen that they send me back the same machine (with the same LG screen) claiming there is no real issue??

Thanks

If that's what happened - then the panel is within spec, and you have nothing to worry about.

If it develops further, get it services, but just enjoy your machine and stop worrying :)

ferkrum

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012
returning MBP with the LG screen with Image Retention

Had LG, got it replaced because of IR.
Now i have Samsung and am ever happy with it

Same here. No MBP for 20 days but it was worth it.. got it back with a Sammy screen and no problems at all.

Hi there guys, just jumped in this issue today. Bought my MBP in August and have barely noticed some "ghost windows" when show desktop after reading pdf's on the screen.
Google that today and noticed that it was a real issue and the later did the whole set of tests (the terminal command, then the checkerboard test) and unfortunately both ones showed me I have a LG screen.

Question is: having this issue proved on the screen and with all this complains online, that should be ENOUGH for asking for a replacement with Apple, right ?
I bought my notebook WITH Applecare, so that should go smooth, right ?

thanks for your help.
(I live in Brazil, and have had a MBP since 2007, no Applecare plan then - that's seems to be why I'm asking that..)

cheers and happy holidays !

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Hi there guys, just jumped in this issue today. Bought my MBP in August and have barely noticed some "ghost windows" when show desktop after reading pdf's on the screen.
Google that today and noticed that it was a real issue and the later did the whole set of tests (the terminal command, then the checkerboard test) and unfortunately both ones showed me I have a LG screen.

Question is: having this issue proved on the screen and with all this complains online, that should be ENOUGH for asking for a replacement with Apple, right ?
I bought my notebook WITH Applecare, so that should go smooth, right ?

thanks for your help.
(I live in Brazil, and have had a MBP since 2007, no Applecare plan then - that's seems to be why I'm asking that..)

cheers and happy holidays !

It depends if the issue is within spec or not. They'll run their own test - if it passes, the machine is within spec, if it fails, they'll replace the screen. You won't get a whole new machine.

ferkrum

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012
It depends if the issue is within spec or not. They'll run their own test - if it passes, the machine is within spec, if it fails, they'll replace the screen. You won't get a whole new machine.

right.
but usually, by what i've been reading here, they change the whole machine, isn't it ?

thanx !

ct1211

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Michigan
This issue does not make sense!

For giggles I did this test as specified on both our LG based 15" rmbp and our new 13" rmbp - Nothing.

I appreciate the swell of concern but I am a certified A/V design engineer and I want to let you all know that "image retention" and "burn in" are not generally possible on LCD displays. Both of these conditions are only found in displays that utilize phosphorous gas in a vacuum. This would be limited to the good old fashioned cathode ray tube TV and Plasma monitor/televisions still sold today. Could there be some rogue manufacturing defect like a left over voltage leak etc, I suppose. Somehow though hundreds of you seem to have the problem so have fun with it. Yes I know, Apple will exchange your computer if you take it into the store and you feel that validates your concerns. They gave me $200.00 worth of accessories because they called to tell me my new special order 15" rMBP with 16GB of RAM had arrived last June but when I got to the store it was that they had gotten there first shipment of regular stock units. They dont want unhappy customers. I will say this, if there is a defect, it's a first for LCD displays. I do wonder however why I have such poor jitter on graphics intensive sites like the Verge on the Mac side yet on my Windows (Parallels) Chrome browser it runs perfect. Maybe your problem is being generated by the electronics somehow. What I really dont get is, why all of you unhappy people that took back 4 or 5 computers wanted to stick with such an obviously defective product in the first place!

ct1211

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Michigan
This issue does not make sense!

For giggles I did this test as specified on both our LG based 15" rmbp and our new 13" rmbp - Nothing.

I appreciate the swell of concern but I am a certified A/V design engineer and I want to let you all know that "image retention" and "burn in" are not generally possible on LCD displays. Both of these conditions are only found in displays that utilize phosphorous gas in a vacuum. This would be limited to the good old fashioned cathode ray tube TV and Plasma monitor/televisions still sold today. Could there be some rogue manufacturing defect like a left over voltage leak etc, I suppose. Somehow though hundreds of you seem to have the problem so have fun with it. Yes I know, Apple will exchange your computer if you take it into the store and you feel that validates your concerns. They gave me $200.00 worth of accessories because they called to tell me my new special order 15" rMBP with 16GB of RAM had arrived last June but when I got to the store it was that they had gotten there first shipment of regular stock units. They dont want unhappy customers. I will say this, if there is a defect, it's a first for LCD displays. I do wonder however why I have such poor jitter on graphics intensive sites like the Verge on the Mac side yet on my Windows (Parallels) Chrome browser it runs perfect. Maybe your problem is being generated by the electronics somehow. What I really dont get is, why all of you unhappy people that took back 4 or 5 computers wanted to stick with such an obviously defective product in the first place!

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

I appreciate the swell of concern but I am a certified A/V design engineer and I want to let you all know that "image retention" and "burn in" are not generally possible on LCD displays.

Google it using the term "image persistence". It is not a new issue, but it's not the same thing as phosphor burn, which was more of a CRT era term.

What I really dont get is, why all of you unhappy people that took back 4 or 5 computers wanted to stick with such an obviously defective product in the first place!

This forum has a lot of that with the buzz phrase "premium product" attached. After 2 returns I would just wait out that generation.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

If you were an A/V engineer you would know that image persistence (temporary) has always been apparent with some IPS panels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.