Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:06 AM   #26
tann
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by meistervu View Post
Take a look at the back of the iPhone 5. Now assuming that removable battery is a desirable feature, how would you add one without making it thicker and introduce gaps, creak, etc. It is a huge challenge with questionable benefit.

I used to have Palm phones with removable battery. The only time I ever removed the battery was to access the reset button. I did later on found a use for it: turn out there was enough of a gap between the battery and its cover to keep a folded $20 bill for emergency. The added bill also help keeps the battery cover from creaking.

I don't miss removable batteries and the compromises they entail.
Haha and I thought I was the only person who hid money under the battery cover!!!

But the industry is moving away from user replaceable batteries. It just allows them to build sleeker, smaller and lighter products.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:37 PM   #27
vistadude
macrumors 65816

the iphone 4 does have a big battery cover called the glass back. It's just that the battery has a proprietary and fragile connection port. The droid razr maxx has a 1 mm thicker battery, yet more than double any other smartphone in battery life.

The only reason the battery is not removable is greed and profits, because they know your phone would last for many many years if the battery life were good.
vistadude is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:53 PM   #28
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistadude View Post
the iphone 4 does have a big battery cover called the glass back. It's just that the battery has a proprietary and fragile connection port. The droid razr maxx has a 1 mm thicker battery, yet more than double any other smartphone in battery life.

The only reason the battery is not removable is greed and profits, because they know your phone would last for many many years if the battery life were good.
That may be true, but the majority of people upgrade every 20 months, whether the phone has a replaceable battery or not. The only real greed going on is the battery manufacturers. Their profit will drop.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:54 PM   #29
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:

The Razr Maxx has a 3000 mAh battery compared to the 1400 mAh in the iPhone. Your last argument has nothing to do with each other. If they gave us a better battery, there would be no need for user replaceable batteries at all. If they made it replaceable, they could make the battery crappier or the same so you would be inclined to buy more batteries. It's not about greed. It's also largely to do with EPA regulations.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:18 PM   #30
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Just saw a case/bumper with built-in battery for the 4, like when you run out, just hit the switch and BAM, secondary power! Sure it makes the phone looks fat but if you are on a job site, desert of Iraq etc it's very handy indeed.
Mrbobb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:27 PM   #31
aPple nErd
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontwalkhand View Post
Exactly. I have never seen a battery cover actually made from quality materials
I have! The magic mouse battery cover...
aPple nErd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:41 PM   #32
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
One of the reasons for not allowing battery access is that Apple wants everyone to replace the entire phone after about 2 years (typical battery life)--so no I doubt we'll ever see iPhone with battery access.
You can go to the nearest Apple Store and they will put in a new battery for you. Or you can find a cheap replacement battery on the Internet if you can use a screwdriver without injuring yourself.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:53 PM   #33
sk24iam
macrumors regular

I don't think it ever will; I think they will continue to improve the battery life though.
sk24iam is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:02 AM   #34
bushman4
macrumors 65816

As long as Apple improves Battery life, there's really no need for battery access.
Millions of people use Iphones and the majority have no need for battery access.
bushman4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:21 AM   #35
Spectrum Abuser
macrumors 65816

Wow. A drastic difference of opinions from other forum users. I prefer access to a removable battery. So much in fact that the entire reason for my purchase of the Galaxy S III was because of the removable battery. These lithium cells don't stay in tip top shape forever and it's cheaper to buy a $14 replacement than a brand new smart phone.

Last edited by Spectrum Abuser; Dec 31, 2012 at 01:44 AM.
Spectrum Abuser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:25 AM   #36
vistadude
macrumors 65816

Samsung is coming out with an extended battery for the GS3. Apparently it doesn't add much thickness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum Abuser View Post
Wow. A drastic difference of opinions from other forum users. I prefer access to a removable batter. So much in fact that the entire reason for my purchase of the Galaxy S III was because of the removable battery. These lithium cells don't stay in tip top shape forever and it's cheaper to buy a $14 replacement than a brand new smart phone.
vistadude is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:43 AM   #37
Spectrum Abuser
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Samsung is coming out with an extended battery for the GS3. Apparently it doesn't add much thickness.
The more mAh the better! Definitely a plus if they can fit it in the original dimensions of the stock battery cover, too.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone