Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Which 27 inch monitor for 09 Mac Pro? Will be upgrading the OS to ML. Main use PS CS6, Canon apps, Bridge, Lightroom. Does anyone know how Asus stacks up against NEC? Both of the below monitors are around 100% aRGB gamut. The Asus is a little faster, while the NEC has 14 bit 3D LUT. Any other suggestions appreciated. I think both have some sort of ambient light sensing. NEC does, some of the Asus do. Thanks in advance for helping Santa out; in these parts he's running a tad late this year...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...71W_BK_MultiSync_PA271W_BK_27_Widescreen.html

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4561593&Sku=A466-2782

stevedusa

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
That Asus isn't even CLOSE to what the NEC is designed for! That NEC is truly aimed for professional market, while that Asus isn't.

If you have the money, by all means get that NEC.

If you are somewhat short, consider the Dell 2711U as well.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The Dell U3011 is only $1100; also worth considering.

Calibrated with my printers and camera; I don't seem to have any issues with color matching and performance is excellent.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA

Thanks for reply. No Frys within 100 miles. Bummer. Are the Apple displays as good as NEC or Eizo? Just wondering. Off to try Provantage and Newegg.

----------

The Dell U3011 is only $1100; also worth considering.

Calibrated with my printers and camera; I don't seem to have any issues with color matching and performance is excellent.

Awesome specs. Where did you see it for $1100? It's $1400 on Dells site now.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Thanks for reply. No Frys within 100 miles. Bummer. Are the Apple displays as good as NEC or Eizo? Just wondering. Off to try Provantage and Newegg.

----------

Awesome specs. Where did you see it for $1100? It's $1400 on Dells site now.

Check slickdeals for Dell coupons, call a Dell business sales rep, look at [h]ard|forum (should read the thread for the monitor you want to buy on there when spending that amount). You will find you can get things a lot cheaper from Dell than their "retail pricing".

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Above all, no LED backlit display - they are standard gamut.
For photo applications: EIZO or NEC (wide gamut).
See why here:
http://diglloyd.com/articles/Recommended/displayNEC27.html
I followed his advice and I couldn't be happier.
For further detailed information:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_pa271w.htm

Pretty sure I'll be going for this. B&H current price is best bang for buck by far. The 30" model is around twice the price with the same specs otherwise. Big premium for the extra screen space.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
That Asus isn't even CLOSE to what the NEC is designed for! That NEC is truly aimed for professional market, while that Asus isn't.

If you have the money, by all means get that NEC.

If you are somewhat short, consider the Dell 2711U as well.

Thanks for reply. Looking closely at the NEC. The U2711 is also very interesting, with "factory tuned aRGB and sRGB modes." With a possible coupon price would be significantly lower than the NEC.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Last edited:

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Check slickdeals for Dell coupons, call a Dell business sales rep, look at [h]ard|forum (should read the thread for the monitor you want to buy on there when spending that amount). You will find you can get things a lot cheaper from Dell than their "retail pricing".

Thanks. On slickdeals now. Dell U2711 is $649. U3011 is $1049. NEC PA271W-BK not there but is $899 at B&H, right in the middle. Free shipping on all. Time to cogitate.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Above all, no LED backlit display - they are standard gamut.
For photo applications: EIZO or NEC (wide gamut).
See why here:
http://diglloyd.com/articles/Recommended/displayNEC27.html
I followed his advice and I couldn't be happier.
For further detailed information:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_pa271w.htm

It's not just a matter of gamut. The current NECs are just really nice displays across all parameters. They're also extremely competitive on pricing for what you're getting if you do need those features.

SadChief

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
Montpellier, France
It's not just a matter of gamut. The current NECs are just really nice displays across all parameters. They're also extremely competitive on pricing for what you're getting if you do need those features.
Of course you are right - I know it well because I own one (see signature).
Those features you hint to are needed for any serious photo work, as the OP seems do.
That is why I've quoted the two links where enormous amount of information is to be found (especially the second one). One have to read it very carefully and understand thoroughly. There is there much, much more knowledge in the field than what can be said in a limited space here.

Last edited:

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Of course you are right - I know it well because I own one (see signature).
Those features you hint to are needed for any serious photo work, as the OP seems do.
That is why I've quoted the two links where enormous amount of information is to be found (especially the second one). One have to read it very carefully and understand thoroughly. There is there much, much more knowledge in the field than what can be said in a limited space here.

Fair enough. I just get irritable when people focus on gamut:p. Higher quality displays were mostly sRGB or something close to that until a couple years ago.

stevedusa

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Thanks! That weighs in at $150 more than the NEC, but it's a 30" display. Wish specs for both had given the viewable area.

Now I need to pore over some reviews and do some shopping, but actually the prices in this thread are pretty good for the several models discussed. It's going to be a tough decision between the NEC and the Dell.

Welcome.

If you have AE card and signed up for Dell.com $150 statement credit back in early December, it'll make it 649 - 150 + tax (if applicable).

Mine will be here tomorrow and I already got the 150 statement credit back 48 hours after I placed the order.

The U2713... not even close to what U2711 does.

SadChief

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
Montpellier, France
Eizo is moving all their stuff to LED starting with the 23" and 24" ColorEdge. Only 27" is all CCFL for the time being.
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2012/review-eizo-cg246-part9.html
"Without a doubt, the new LED backlighting concept is ready to replace the established technology."
At least at the present moment, I think that my assertion is still valid. And yes, we can reasonably expect a dramatic technological improvement as announced, no doubt about that. But for the time being, the OP needs a display available now.
Thank you very much for letting us know about those changes to come.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

Not just Dell, but LG also if look at all of the December entries for TFTCentral's new for their wider Adobe space LED backlight addition also. (probably same tech in different wrappers but likely indicative of a market trend. )

Couple that with the NEC PA271 being almost 3 year old model and seems a decent chance NEC will roll out something new early in 2013. They incremented the NEC P models in 2011/2012. It is about time to tweak the PA models now. Especially since the competition is moving on also (not just Dell but Eizo http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/26.htm#eizo_coloredge ). It is as much the issue of moving to wider gamut LED lights as well as the panel which makes peddling 3-4 year old designs fairly non-competitive.

It wouldn't be surprising to see new ones come out at CES 2013 in a week or so.

"Priced to move" on the PA271 could be indicative of trying to flush the inventory.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
At least at the present moment, I think that my assertion is still valid. And yes, we can reasonably expect a dramatic technological improvement as announced, no doubt about that. But for the time being, the OP needs a display available now.

It is rather limited "now". On Dell's website a U2713H is right now tagged as shipping Jan 23, 2013. That's less than a month away and they are taking orders. It isn't really "announced" that is the issue as much as shipping having been announced. It isn't a matter of crystal ball future forecasting.

If the original poster's criteria is 27" and 'deep discount' then your assertion has much more traction. If the discount is the primary focus those will likely broaden as go further into 2013 as more newer alternatives start to ship and more of the older inventory needs to be flushed.

Last edited:

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Thank you very much for letting us know about those changes to come.

Yes. Still valid. Just wanted to point out that Eizo is shipping LED based ColorEdge display's that get real close to CCFL extended gamut. Just not the 27" stuff yet. Most likely still working that out.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Yes. Still valid. Just wanted to point out that Eizo is shipping LED based ColorEdge display's that get real close to CCFL extended gamut. Just not the 27" stuff yet. Most likely still working that out.

That 27" came out much later after they tested the self calibration route on the 245. It could easily be late in the current year before you see a revised 27" in that product category.

"Priced to move" on the PA271 could be indicative of trying to flush the inventory.

They did that with many of the 90s series displays too. Those preceded the PAs. Typically NEC's cycles last a while, but they reduce pricing periodically. You can typically expect the first round of that a year or so into a product cycle. This was the second or third reduction on the PAs. I think they started around $1800 or so for the 27".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.