Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
The only people that will be pissed are the ones that had an iPad 3 and then upgraded to the iPad 4 thinking that Apple will now have a yearly fall release cycle.

All the non-tech perople who bought/got them as presents or their first iPad or an upgrade from an iPad 1/2 will probably not see the point in upgrading and continue to use their devices.

This is true. Thanks to Apple, I've learned to wise up and buy when I need to, not just upgrading for the sake of upgrading. The great thing about Apple products is that they will perform great, years down the line, despite the many revisions following it. I'm still using my 2009 MBP, iPhone 4, and my first iPad which happened to be the 3. The iPhone 4 will be replaced only if it dies or is no longer supported. Other than that, I see no value in replacing it. The iPad will eventually get replaced by an iPad mini as soon as it comes out in retina. Only reason I'm doing it is because the smaller form factor makes sense for me. In fact, I am typing this in one of my children's iPad mini and really digging the size and weight. But yeah, it would be financially irresponsible from my perspective to just upgrade for the sake of upgrading.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
But yeah, it would be financially irresponsible from my perspective to just upgrade for the sake of upgrading.

Beats me why people upgrade just because a better one is out there. If you have a good size of cash to spare, then sure, by all means. I have heard of people who have friends loan to pay for a new toy and then are never able to give anything back.

Others who are silly enough to accept a $127 "deal" on an iPhone 5. Then get violated by $80 cell bills. Anyway, I just had to comment on my confusion about this.

On-topic though? an iPad in March seems reasonable. Maybe it comes, maybe not. But Apple have already updated the iPad at 6 months before. And the iPad 4 was not really marketed or advertised properly, it was just one more slide of their keynote. In fact, a few months after some of my friends are still clueless about this newest iPad having been released.

Personally, I hope it does come in March. Because if it does it should be a great tablet. I'm just speculating, but I'm thinking iPad Mini-like design, lighter and thinner, negligible additional processing bump, and hopefully a base model starting at 32GB (just like ASUS, Samsung have been doing) -- 16gb (or rather, 14ish) is no longer acceptable for a high-end $500 device.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
iPad 4 was an iPad 3S....

Yes. This is so obvious, the only people who dont get are those who bought the ipad 4, errr, 3s. It seems pretty clear the motivation here was to unify the connector and provide LTE. Why the formidable processor bump? Nearly 2x performance? Well, the performance spec sounds impressive, but it really just puts the 4 squarely ahead of the ipad 2. It does, though, suggest confidence in continued performance improvement in apple mobile chips.

Ipads are a huge cash machine for apple. Two annual update events keyed to the mini and full size ipads seems about right. Its not like anyone is getting excited about laptop and imac releases anymore.

----------

But Apple have already updated the iPad at 6 months before. And the iPad 4 was not really marketed or advertised properly, it was just one more slide of their keynote

bingo..

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Yes. This is so obvious, the only people who dont get are those who bought the ipad 4, errr, 3s. It seems pretty clear the motivation here was to unify the connector and provide LTE. Why the formidable processor bump? Nearly 2x performance? Well, the performance spec sounds impressive, but it really just puts the 4 squarely ahead of the ipad 2. It does, though, suggest confidence in continued performance improvement in apple mobile chips.

Ipads are a huge cash machine for apple. Two annual update events keyed to the mini and full size ipads seems about right. Its not like anyone is getting excited about laptop and imac releases anymore.

----------

bingo..

I think people are getting a bit over reacting about the two Ipads in a year. Had the Ipad mini not been released I reckon Apple would have held off. It's baffling why they would produce so many Ipad 4's when the design and shell looks likely to be replaced by a thinner model. I guess it's sort of Ipad 3 parts with the new bits added in?

Once Apple put out a thinner Ipad in March I fully expect them to revert back to a yearly schedule. It would also make sense to put a retina Ipad mini out in March so all Ipads can get that yearly cycle and it might bring Ipad mini 1 down in price to compete with the Kindle Fire HD.

You could pretty much have an Ipad 4 in an Ipad 2 minus the retina it lacks that much innovation in design. Plus it being heavier than Ipad 3 even if only a bit just makes no sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.