Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
[...] Why is it such a foreign concept around these parts ? Why do we need to pick sides and "cheer" and "boo". Are you being paid or rewarded by your "team" ?

Lots of different troll tactics out there. Including the "Voice of Reason."
Seen it a million times. And I would guess that you have too.
Am I right here?

Sometimes trolls defend their bias by attempting to take the high road.
"Why can't we all just get along?" Boo hoo. Easy to see right through that.

----------

"The wrong team" is a pretty subjective thing, man. Cheering for the Vols over Crimson Tide doesn't make you a disturbed individual, and doesn't require someone to study your psychological makeup to understand why you'd choose them over the other. [...]

I see your point. Free country. Knock yourself out. Yup.

But I still don't really "get" why people troll Apple sites so relentlessly.
Back in the late '90s / early '00s there was plenty of Apple Deathwatch (tm) trolling.
But that was then and this is now.

So maybe the reasons for all the trolling have changed. It used to be just haters.
Now it's a mix of haters and paid shills working for Microsoft, Google, and others.
Because there's real money at stake now. Not just a few million Macs a year.
Hundreds of millions of iOS devices a year. Competitors will fight that any way they can.

Might be fun to try and distinguish the paid anti-Apple trolls from the amateur "ideology" trolls.

Renzatic

Suspended
Maybe because it's like fishing in a barrel? :D:D

Damn straight! Apparently some people get paid for it, too!

Hey Apple fanboys! You're all DUUUMMMMMBBBB! Stupid like your stupid faces that are stupid like iOS! Only babies who don't know how to use a computer like Apple stuff. You're all sheeple eating the Cupertino Cud! Antennagate OLOL SUCKPHONE MORE LIKE AM I RITE!

...now where's my paycheck? :mad:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

Hey Apple fanboys! You're all DUUUMMMMMBBBB! Stupid like your stupid faces that are stupid like iOS! Only babies who don't know how to use a computer like Apple stuff. You're all sheeple eating the Cupertino Cud! Antennagate OLOL SUCKPHONE MORE LIKE AM I RITE!

At least the Apple loyalists aren't paranoid. Samsung, Google and Microsoft invest billions in paid trolls to disrupt Apple forums. :D

Renzatic

Suspended
At least the Apple loyalists aren't paranoid. Samsung, Google and Microsoft invest billions in paid trolls to disrupt Apple forums. :D

Yup. They go around to other messageboards and do it for free. That's one of the reasons they're such a profitable company.

But me? Oh no. I want my cut. Ain't doing nothing for nothing.
arms.gif

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Is this true, or just being sarcastic? Can't tell lol...if it's true that's pretty sad

I'm being sarcastic. :D

----------

Yup. They go around to other messageboards and do it for free. That's one of the reasons they're such a profitable company.

But me? Oh no. I want my cut. Ain't doing nothing for nothing. Image

Actually I think it's the other way around. Apple must have paid shills on this site. There is nowhere else on earth where the consumer puts the interests of the company before themselves.

patentlawyer

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
I'm being sarcastic. :D

----------

Actually I think it's the other way around. Apple must have paid shills on this site. There is nowhere else on earth where the consumer puts the interests of the company before themselves.

Ah ok wasn't sure lol. But tbh I think it's the other way around. I've never seen an apple user on an android forum who's there to dispel FUD (aka troll :rolleyes: ) but there seems to be many here.

I find it funny that some here think they're actually going to change ppls minds by telling them how dumb they are.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Ah ok wasn't sure lol. But tbh I think it's the other way around. I've never seen an apple user on an android forum who's there to dispel FUD (aka troll :rolleyes: ) but there seems to be many here.

I find it funny that some here think they're actually going to change ppls minds by telling them how dumb they are.

Honestly I don't think they are trying to change peoples minds. It's like a sport where you win every game. :D I don't think that some of the hard core Apple loyalists realize how the outside world views them. :D:D

patentlawyer

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
Honestly I don't think they are trying to change peoples minds. It's like a sport where you win every game. :D I don't think that some of the hard core Apple loyalists realize how the outside world views them. :D:D

On the same token do the android users realize how the world views them?? Have you seen that boycottApple trend on Google+? If you haven't, check it out. It's so sad that these people expend so much energy insulting millions of people, cursing out corporations, disrespecting the dead and just carrying on like juveniles.

There's zealots on both sides. In my experience the android side is worse. It's almost disgusting some of the things they say and post on google+

I wish the idiots on both sides would just go away lol

Renzatic

Suspended

For the sake of humanity, I certainly hope so.

patentlawyer said:
Ah ok wasn't sure lol. But tbh I think it's the other way around. I've never seen an apple user on an android forum who's there to dispel FUD (aka troll ) but there seems to be many here.

Go to just about any tech site on the internet, and you'll see idiots on all sides. Apple is the best. Apple sucks. Android rules. Android blows. From my perspective, there are just as many Apple fans who troll, lie, and whine about the competition as there are other fans who troll, lie, and whine about Apple.

Here? I don't see the trolling nearly as much. Yeah, there are a couple people who do troll just to troll, but they're a rare few, and generally get booted off the board quicker than not.

Most everyone here likes Apple and owns at least one of their products. As far as the "trolling" goes, it's more a division between people who agree with everything Apple does and will slavishly defend them while bashing the competition every chance they get, versus the people who don't.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
As far as the "trolling" goes, it's more a division between people who agree with everything Apple does and will slavishly defend them while bashing the competition every chance they get, versus the people who don't.

Bravo. The CliffNotes version of MR.

patentlawyer

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
For the sake of humanity, I certainly hope so.

Go to just about any tech site on the internet, and you'll see idiots on all sides. Apple is the best. Apple sucks. Android rules. Android blows. From my perspective, there are just as many Apple fans who troll, lie, and whine about the competition as there are other fans who troll, lie, and whine about Apple.

Here? I don't see the trolling nearly as much. Yeah, there are a couple people who do troll just to troll, but they're a rare few, and generally get booted off the board quicker than not.

Most everyone here likes Apple and owns at least one of their products. As far as the "trolling" goes, it's more a division between people who agree with everything Apple does and will slavishly defend them while bashing the competition every chance they get, versus the people who don't.

Yeah I agree the trolls here aren't as bad as other tech sites, but they do still exist (they just think they hide it well and no one can see through them lol).

Either way, I don't care what you like, but it's annoying if it disrupts the forum. Of course, as I told samcraig yesterday (who I noticed is on time out), this is the internet so I can't really expect anything to change!

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
And yet here you are in the alternatives to iOS sub forum posting this. You can't see the contradiction?

I come to these forums because I use a Mac AND Android (omg that IS possible). Whats your excuse?

I post in this sub forum to correct all the misinformation and FUD I see spouting from iOS users who should steer clear of this section if they don't like.

You don't deserve a reply from me. Find something better to do with your time.

Last edited:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Lots of different troll tactics out there. Including the "Voice of Reason."
Seen it a million times. And I would guess that you have too.
Am I right here?

Sometimes trolls defend their bias by attempting to take the high road.
"Why can't we all just get along?" Boo hoo. Easy to see right through that.

At this point, I'll just say I probably know more about Apple products and own more of them than you, not to mention I'm probably more interested in them than you are. You're simply here to disturb the forum, welcome to my ignore list.

----------

I've never seen an apple user on an android forum who's there to dispel FUD (aka troll :rolleyes: ) but there seems to be many here.

Sorry, but you seem quite unaware of what a Troll is, or what FUD is if you think "dispelling FUD is trolling". Quite the contrary really. Spreading misinformation to generate FUD is usually trolling, and dispelling that misinformation is usually just people getting trolled.

Now you're new on the forum, I suggest you keep lurking more and understanding the actual culture before you judge other posters.

Look at how this thread got derailled into an "Trolls everywhere!" argument. Look at who started the "troll" accusations. This thread is about a Motorola phone designed entirely by Google as a Flagship Android device, why did it degenerate into a conversation about who should/shouldn't be here ? Look at the people that did discuss the topic vs the "iOS is better! Samsung are copycats!" agitators.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Look at how this thread got derailled into an "Trolls everywhere!" argument. Look at who started the "troll" accusations. This thread is about a Motorola phone designed entirely by Google as a Flagship Android device, why did it degenerate into a conversation about who should/shouldn't be here ? Look at the people that did discuss the topic vs the "iOS is better! Samsung are copycats!" agitators.

I completely agree.

You don't deserve a reply from me. Find something better to do with your time.

Nice, except you're the one posting in a thread solely about Google products and your replies are off-topic, non constructive and generally disruptive.

Notice that if you read my many replies in this thread, not once did I even imply that Android was better. No, I spent most of my time objectively reasoning as to why Samsung forking Android would be a bad idea and correcting straight-up factual errors and misinformation regarding Android.

I am a die-hard Mac user and have been for years, I've owned multiple iPods (going back to my 5GB 1st Gen purchased in 2002) and I used to have an iPad. Growing up on early Macs and an Apple IIg is what started my lifelong fascination with computers and I believe this has directly contributed to where I am today - multiple degrees in computer science, a career working with operating systems and a life-long love of technology.

Despite all this, I get accused of being a "troll" a "hater" and a "fandroid" and the legitimacy of my presence here gets questioned. The irony of course is that i've been using Apple products for longer than most of those people have been alive.

Despite my soft spot for Apple products I am generally technology-agnostic. My work is 90% Linux servers with a few Windows servers, but I perform my administration tasks from my Mac. At home home my primary computer is my Macbook Pro, but I also have a debian based SAN which I use to stream media to an Apple TV and my OpenELEC media PC. I have a couple of iPods hanging around, a Kindle, a few Nintendo 3/DS's and a Windows gaming machine which rarely gets used and sees more time as a hackintosh. I recently switched from using iPad to getting a Nexus 7 and my phone is a Galaxy Nexus.

Are you getting the picture here? I simply use what I feel is the best tool for the job given my circumstances, but I don't feel the need to shout it to the world, or "convert" people. Technology choices are not religion. Having said this, I will correct anyone posting lies, misinformation or FUD for their own agenda regarding any platform.

:apple: :apple:

Last edited:

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
People equating plastic to build quality seem to imply Apple had shoddy build quality on the 3GS and its line-up of Macs.

Considering they were still selling the 3GS earlier this year, does this mean that a 2012 current model iPhone had shoddy build quality ?

I never understand this "plastic is cheap!/Aluminum is the best thing!" line of thinking, especially considering all the things aluminum is used for :

655609e8dec808775d5377c148184b93.jpg

What nice build quality...

Exactly. I honestly think the iPhone 3G/3GS feel rather cheap.

Not because it had a plastic back but I mean...it didn't feel at all like a premium product.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Since this discussion seems to always get heated do you folks think of yourself as an iOS/Android user in the same way you think of yourself as a Mac/Linux/Windows user?

I have an iPhone 4 but I don't think of myself as an iOS user it's my phone it tethers to my Mac when I'm on the train. I read my email with it play some games listen to some music read the forums etc. I can use any phone if it'll tether to the Mac.

It seems a bit silly to go at each other no matter the side you stand on about something that really is basic. At least with the computer OS you have the Open Source, enterprise/gaming, HW/SW integration bludgeons to beat people with.

spl456

macrumors member
May 19, 2011
This ****'s about to get interesting.

Given Android is very much on a stable, non-fragmented heading now (the latest Android builds have come on leaps and bounds), this could actually be a heck of a lot more successful than the previous attempts.

Apple needs to up their game - Android is now the better OS, undeniably with the likes of the S3 and Note.

It's only a recent change however, but certainly a worrying one for Apple.

I agree.
Google is like Microsoft. Their Android platform is probably on well over 100 different handset models, while Apple's iOS is on what? 3 or 4 of their own brand?

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
At this point, I'll just say I probably know more about Apple products and own more of them than you, not to mention I'm probably more interested in them than you are. You're simply here to disturb the forum, welcome to my ignore list. [...]

You didn't answer my question.

Just curious about the psychology of someone who goes far out of their way to attract attention to themselves by "cheering against the home team." I'm sure you know what I mean.

I can think of only two reasons why anyone would relentlessly troll MacRumors:

1. Emotional gratification

2. Monetary gain (aka "astroturfing," "shilling," etc.)

If it's the former, I feel sorry for you. Really. And, actually, if it's the latter, I feel sorry for you too. What a horrible job, trolling.

I'm a long-time Apple Fanboi (tm) and I'm proud to admit it.
You post bizarre spammy trolls like it's your job.

Is it?

----------

Maybe because it's like fishing in a barrel? :D:D

Follow the money.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It seems a bit silly to go at each other no matter the side you stand on about something that really is basic.

I usually don't pick sides. Picking sides is dumb. Stick to facts, these OSes are all about on par, most devices are based on personal preference rather than any kind of real superiority/inferiority.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada

My paycheck is overdue too. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.