Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Subler can't convert DTS to AC3 5.1, iFlicks is really a different purpose, haven't personally played with MP4tools or iVI.

But to reiterate, it is absolutely a stellar graphical tool for going quickly from an MKV with x264/h264 video and any audio to an iTunes/AppleTV compatible file. Every single file I've tested plays great on the AppleTV. Many of the tools out there use wrappers so that iTunes can import the video - but it's not playable on an AppleTV, this makes AppleTV compatible M4V's very fast and easy.

Does it passthrough DD 5.1? Also, if your starting file is not already h.264, but let's say mpeg2, will it still produce a working aTV file with no compression?

randyharris

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Does it passthrough DD 5.1? Also, if your starting file is not already h.264, but let's say mpeg2, will it still produce a working aTV file with no compression?

you can passthrough the audio, it is an option.

I'd have to test an mpeg2 video MKV, honestly I don't ever run across any, mine are all 720P x/h264 and either AC3 or DTS. If you have an MKV with MPEG2 that you can make available I'm happy to test it on my AppleTV3.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012

I'd have to test an mpeg2 video MKV, honestly I don't ever run across any, mine are all 720P x/h264 and either AC3 or DTS. If you have an MKV with MPEG2 that you can make available I'm happy to test it on my AppleTV3.
Any dvd is mpeg2. Blurays are mostly h.264 and many pirated movies are h.264. So, I would assume, if your's are mostly 720p/h.264 they are pirate downloads as BR's would be 1080p. :eek:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Mp4tools, even in batch mode?

Thanks for the info. I HB everything now. I stream wirelessly and found mp4's just to work more smoothly. Would love to use uncompressed files however if I ever find a good reliable way of doing it. Also, most of my library are dvd not BR so most are mpeg2. Just can't bring myself to eat up disc space for movies that marginally benefit from BR, especially with upscaling being very good.

mr666

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
MKV should be tossed... along with Windows XP

Those who seem to think MKV is somehow important or necessary--- no. It does have some issues, particularly its annoying problem cataloging frame previews (something needed by Quicktime, and there is the rub). Notice with large files (and MKV is almost always huge), it takes some seconds, even MINUTES, to load the whole preview.

As for the debate about container vs format, a container IS A FORMAT, so let's not nit-pick that one. If it weren't a format, we wouldn't be having this discussion--it would just play.

Notice that the only reason it seems to exist is for pirating. You won't find Netflix or iTunes offering any movies as MKV or AVI. When Windows XP finally breathes its last, and Vista is fully ignored, we can expect PC pirates to stop using MKV and AVI--- well, it will take them a couple of years to wean, but it will happen.

I notice that some movies get posted as torrents for MKV and the file is over 6GB!!!! How the heck can anyone justify extracting a file 50% larger than the entire DVD? Just post the dang DVD and save a lot of download time, plus it leaves all the menus and multiple subtitles.

There is an old saying in the printing business related to using ten fonts on one poster: Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD. That's the story for MKV-- can but shouldn't. If an uncompressed MOV is the same size or smaller than an MKV, why do we want MKV? If an MPEG-4/H.264 is smaller than an MKV and looks just as good, why extract any DVD as MKV?

And back to this original poster, he wants to get from MKV to something iTunes likes, and not convert. Don't say he is bashing. I've been there myself plenty of times on this forum: "How can I do X without doing Y?" Answer: "Do Y". Grrrrr!!!!!

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
I notice that some movies get posted as torrents for MKV and the file is over 6GB!!!! How the heck can anyone justify extracting a file 50% larger than the entire DVD? Just post the dang DVD and save a lot of download time, plus it leaves all the menus and multiple subtitles.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Go do some research.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Those who seem to think MKV is somehow important or necessary--- no. It does have some issues, particularly its annoying problem cataloging frame previews (something needed by Quicktime, and there is the rub). Notice with large files (and MKV is almost always huge), it takes some seconds, even MINUTES, to load the whole preview.

As for the debate about container vs format, a container IS A FORMAT, so let's not nit-pick that one. If it weren't a format, we wouldn't be having this discussion--it would just play.

Notice that the only reason it seems to exist is for pirating. You won't find Netflix or iTunes offering any movies as MKV or AVI. When Windows XP finally breathes its last, and Vista is fully ignored, we can expect PC pirates to stop using MKV and AVI--- well, it will take them a couple of years to wean, but it will happen.

There is an old saying in the printing business related to using ten fonts on one poster: Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD. That's the story for MKV-- can but shouldn't. If an uncompressed MOV is the same size or smaller than an MKV, why do we want MKV? If an MPEG-4/H.264 is smaller than an MKV and looks just as good, why extract any DVD as MKV?

And back to this original poster, he wants to get from MKV to something iTunes likes, and not convert. Don't say he is bashing. I've been there myself plenty of times on this forum: "How can I do X without doing Y?" Answer: "Do Y". Grrrrr!!!!!
So...what's your point? We should just keep our dvd/BR player and forget using our computers as home entertainment centers? You seem to harbor a lot of anger.:rolleyes:

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003

Er, huh? no, that is not why it exists, it exists because it supports more features (subs, audio etc.) than mp4, it also is supposedly *free* as in no license. While I prefer and use mp4, to say that mkv only exists for pirating is incorrect. That said it does seem to be the preferred container for most pirated content ( like .avi was about ten years ago but thankfully died on the vine as it was a crappy container with little support for what are now common thing like variable frame rate, etc ... but I digress). As far as apple not using mkv for itunes ... you are wrong as well, they are heavily vested in mp4 which makes sense, but don't think it has anything to do with mkv being a poor container.

Er, maybe because the mkv wasn't created from a dvd but maybe a blu ray ??? in which case 6GB is a decent reduction to be sure from the source. Also there are some idiots that prefer to "upscale" a dvd to 720p or 1080p which of course makes no sense but blows up the file size. The point being ... you have really no point. MKV as a container is not the issue. It has a few flaws (timestamps, etc.) over mp4 but otoh has support for more things like subs, audio codecs etc.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Er, huh? no, that is not why it exists, it exists because it supports more features (subs, audio etc.) than mp4, it also is supposedly *free* as in no license. While I prefer and use mp4, to say that mkv only exists for pirating is incorrect. That said it does seem to be the preferred container for most pirated content ( like .avi was about ten years ago but thankfully died on the vine as it was a crappy container with little support for what are now common thing like variable frame rate, etc ... but I digress). As far as apple not using mkv for itunes ... you are wrong as well, they are heavily vested in mp4 which makes sense, but don't think it has anything to do with mkv being a poor container.

Definitely. It always amuses me how ignorant some people are when it comes to MKV's. Here at MacRumors I've read at least 10 posts stating MKV's are strictly pirates' containers / formats. Those people don't seem to have a clue what they are talking about - among other things, why MakeMKV rips to MKV's and not vastly inferior MP4's. (Incidentally, I've also explained in many of my articles in which regards MKV is far superior to any Apple-native formats (mp4 / mov / m4v).)

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
(Incidentally, I've also explained in many of my articles in which regards MKV is far superior to any Apple-native formats (mp4 / mov / m4v).)

Well, I wouldn't say "far superior" but certainly supports more subs and audio formats (that said, audio is more a playback device issue as really mp4 supports DTS now). MKV frankly has some issues of its own but it has gotten much better of late. But you point is well taken.

HabSonic

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Canada
I tried many tools and I would suggest to get iIV. It cost 10$, but it's, by far, the most convenient and easy application to use. Some applications are a bit faster, but iVI is just way better overall IMO.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I tried many tools and I would suggest to get iIV. It cost 10$, but it's, by far, the most convenient and easy application to use. Some applications are a bit faster, but iVI is just way better overall IMO.

Just don't forget not to let it remux more than, say, one subtitle track (it's the best not to let it transfer any subs). If you do, the conversion time will really suffer. The same stands for audio tracks: if possible, don't remux them all, just the one you really need.

Just an example: in my article HERE, I've benchmarked several remuxers, incl. iVI Pro. If you take a look at the chart linked from the article (the chart is HERE), you'll see remuxing a file by keeping all the four tracks took more than two times more time (51m:24s) than just transferring one track (24m:18s).

BTW, it's also worth checking out the benchmark results of the other apps made in exactly the same (controlled) environment; for example, Subler and AnyVideo Converter HD, the, generally, two fastest remuxers, needed only aroudn 5 minutes to remux a file while keeping one audio track; that is, one-fifth of that of iVI Pro.

Robsta2142

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012

MPEG2 cannot be passed through from an MKV to MP4 using Subler. MP4tools can pass it through but I don't think the ATV3 supports it.

Westacular

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
Just an example: in my article HERE, I've benchmarked several remuxers, incl. iVI Pro. If you take a look at the chart linked from the article (the chart is HERE), you'll see remuxing a file by keeping all the four tracks took more than two times more time (51m:24s) than just transferring one track (24m:18s).

BTW, it's also worth checking out the benchmark results of the other apps made in exactly the same (controlled) environment; for example, Subler and AnyVideo Converter HD, the, generally, two fastest remuxers, needed only aroudn 5 minutes to remux a file while keeping one audio track; that is, one-fifth of that of iVI Pro.

Minor quibble with your chart: it IS possible in Subler to add a downmixed audio track (AC3 -> AAC) while keeping the original -- I've done it several times -- but the method for doing so is non-obvious:

1) Open the original file, select to import both audio and video, choose the conversion option for the audio file.

2) With the file open, import the original file on top of itself, by hitting the + button (or selecting in the menu File > Import > File...), and selecting to import ONLY the audio track, this time choosing passthrough for the audio.

Ta-da, two audio streams, and you're free to drag and drop them to set their order and to choose which is marked enabled.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Minor quibble with your chart: it IS possible in Subler to add a downmixed audio track (AC3 -> AAC) while keeping the original -- I've done it several times -- but the method for doing so is non-obvious:

1) Open the original file, select to import both audio and video, choose the conversion option for the audio file.

2) With the file open, import the original file on top of itself, by hitting the + button (or selecting in the menu File > Import > File...), and selecting to import ONLY the audio track, this time choosing passthrough for the audio.

Ta-da, two audio streams, and you're free to drag and drop them to set their order and to choose which is marked enabled.

Thanks - I should indeed have mentioned there are manual ways of converting to two audio tracks (the AC3 being bass-thru'ed) and linked to some of my previous tutorials explaining this (see e.g. THIS tutorial). That column is strictly for automatic double-output.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.