Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
I bought a generic display port to male HDMI wire so I can play media from the Air to the big screen, but it only carries picture but no audio.

I checked out the Apple website and Moshi has a display port to female HDMI adapter, it apparently carries both video and audio, but the ratings are less than spectacular where it loses audio functionality down the road or the cable just gives out. Anybody use the Moshi adapter here, if so, what are your opinions on it?

What other alternatives do I have? Does monoprice offer a solution?

Another question is when I mirror the Air's video onto the big screen I would like to close the lid on the Air, but it seems the Air goes into standby mode, shuts down the screen, and the picture to the Plasma screen also cuts out. How can I make this not happen?

Thanks in advance.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
How about an Apple TV? You can mirror the screen easily. That's what I do with the iPad. As long as your running ML you will be fine.

Can you put it in clamshell mode?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Pressing an external keyboard key will wake it back up.

And if you have a Mac newer than 2010, it'll do sound with the official adapter.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Pressing an external keyboard key will wake it back up.

And if you have a Mac newer than 2010, it'll do sound with the official adapter.

Can you please link me to said official adapter? Thanks. The AppleTV seems like an expensive solution. I need a wired solution.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Can you please link me to said official adapter? Thanks. The AppleTV seems like an expensive solution. I need a wired solution.

Get the Belkini mdp to hdmi cable. It's highly rated and does what your after.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.