Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeantro

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
I have the 120 Gb LaCie Rugged SSD (Thunderbolt and USB 3.0).
I noticed the same as the other users: USB 3.0 has faster read speeds compared to Thunderbolt. Heck, USB 3.0 read speed is even faster than my 1TB Fusion drive:

Tested on a late 2012 27" iMac (i7 3.4GHz, 32Gb RAM, GTX680MX) using Disk Speed test by Blackmagicdesign, using the 5Gb read/write test on a 20 Gb FAT partition on the LaCie disk:

• LaCie Rugged 120 Gb SSD Thunderbolt: write: 190.3 MB/s - read: 383.1 MB/s
  • LaCie Rugged 120 Gb SSD USB 3.0: write 189.7 MB/s - read 428.2 MB/s
  • 1 TB Fusion drive (internal): write 325 MB/s - read 382.7 MB/s

can you tell me if it's possible to enable the trim with the lacie rugged ?

pizzapappa

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Just got my lacie thunderbolt ssd up and running. Flawless so far. Im going to backup everything first before I try enabling trim or anything else.

Jeantro

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
Just got my lacie thunderbolt ssd up and running. Flawless so far. Im going to backup everything first before I try enabling trim or anything else.

which model you buy ?

----------

As far as I know, there is no way you can enable TRIM on an external SSD disk (although I read some statements it can be done on a Thunderbolt disk, but no actual how-to's). I'd be glad if someone else proved me wrong.

I read that work with trim enabler

here is a link of a french site

http://forum.macbidouille.com/lofiversion/index.php/t359591.html

vingi

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
NL

Attachments

• LaCieRuggedSSD120GbTRIM.png
    LaCieRuggedSSD120GbTRIM.png
    878.7 KB · Views: 915

pizzapappa

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
can you tell me which performance read / write you get ?

and with an imac 2012 ?

Yeah im using a 2012 iMac. Getting about 190-200 write and 380 read. Working flawless so far. Have tried putting it to sleep once (waiting for time machine to finish backuping).

Jeantro

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
Yeah im using a 2012 iMac. Getting about 190-200 write and 380 read. Working flawless so far. Have tried putting it to sleep once (waiting for time machine to finish backuping).

thanks for the information

I don't understand why the performance of write is less of read. you get a diffrence of 180

----------

I managed to enable TRIM on the 120 Gb LaCie Rugged SSD, connected by Thunderbolt by using the program TRIM enabler (please note TRIM support set to "yes" in the screenshot. The read/write speeds did not change.

I don't think trim is for get more speed it's only for get stable read/write performance in time

MaydayMAc

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
I am using the Seagate TB Adapter and Intel 520 180Gig SSD getting 230 Writes and 371 Reads BTW BestBuy has the Intel 520 onsale for $129

MaydayMAc

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
Logicpro,

Yes I used super doper to clone me Internal drive to the External TB SSD

Works Great

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
So, for stupid me, you're running OSX off a SSD connected by a Thunderbolt?

Yep. Just set up my Samsung 830 256GB yesterday inside a Seagate Backup Plus Thunderbolt 2.5" enclosure. Booting off it. Blazing fast in every respect, and so great to be able to unplug/hide it when I leave on vacation etc. Bit more secure this way!

The Lacie's write speeds really are a killer for me. I have a 3TB Seagate Backup Plus Thunderbolt disk as well, and I get 185MB/s write speeds with it, which is about the same as the write speeds from the Lacie SSD!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-28 at 10.00.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-28 at 10.00.06 AM.png
    892 KB · Views: 303

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011
Yep. Just set up my Samsung 830 256GB yesterday inside a Seagate Backup Plus Thunderbolt 2.5" enclosure. Booting off it. Blazing fast in every respect, and so great to be able to unplug/hide it when I leave on vacation etc. Bit more secure this way!

The Lacie's write speeds really are a killer for me. I have a 3TB Seagate Backup Plus Thunderbolt disk as well, and I get 185MB/s write speeds with it, which is about the same as the write speeds from the Lacie SSD!

How would this work with bootcamp? I'm assuming the same as if the SSD was really inside the iMac? I love the idea of booting from an external SSD because the only SSD option is out of my price range.

bugbear99

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2009
Im booting windows from TB External SSD (lacie rugged with replaced SSD)

but when i boot into MacOS and let the lacie rugged SSD idle,
the SSD is still running hot.

anybody have the same experience?

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
Has anyone using his method ever had any issues when waking from sleep? I read elsewhere that people are having problems like the mac not waking, or hanging, or being frozen on wake.

Also, how hot does it run under normal load?

Snoezzz

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2012
The Netherlands
Finally got Windows 7 to boot from the Lacie through the Thunderbolt connection without bootcamp... Just the way i wanted :D

I "abused" my wife's Macbook Air for testing purposes due to the fact that i'm still waiting for my iMac.

AFPBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
Finally got Windows 7 to boot from the Lacie through the Thunderbolt connection without bootcamp... Just the way i wanted :D

Did you have to do anything special/magical to get it to work? When you say 'without bootcamp', do you mean for booting or installation purposes?

Snoezzz

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2012
The Netherlands
Did you have to do anything special/magical to get it to work? When you say 'without bootcamp', do you mean for booting or installation purposes?

Both.. i deployed the image with Microsoft imagex, after injecting the Lacie Thunderbolt driver in the Windows wimfile. When i connect the Lacie to the macbook and hold the option key, i can boot straight to Windows. The first time it booted Windows did the hardware detection etc.

The internal macbook SSD is untouched. Windows runs completely independent from the internal SSD.

So basically:
Inject Lacie Thunderbolt driver in install.wim on the Windows DVD
Create 2 partitions (Windows System Reserved and the actual OS partition)
Apply the image to the OS partition.
Use BCDboot on the Lacie

After that... plug it in and start it up.

Last edited:

qamaro

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Both.. i deployed the image with Microsoft imagex, after injecting the Lacie Thunderbolt driver in the Windows wimfile. When i connect the Lacie to the macbook and hold the option key, i can boot straight to Windows. The first time it booted Windows did the hardware detection etc.

The internal macbook SSD is untouched. Windows runs completely independent from the internal SSD.

So basically:
Inject Lacie Thunderbolt driver in install.wim on the Windows DVD
Create 2 partitions (Windows System Reserved and the actual OS partition)
Apply the image to the OS partition.
Use BCDboot on the Lacie

After that... plug it in and start it up.

Snoezzz,

Are you building the drive off a PC to generate the partitions and apply the image first? Then once you are done loading it onto the SSD, you then booted it on OSX which forces Windows to auto detect the new hardware? Just want to check the process again. Sounds like a typical corporate build. With this option you don't need an MBR record on the primary OSX boot drive?

Thanks!

Snoezzz

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2012
The Netherlands
Snoezzz,

Are you building the drive off a PC to generate the partitions and apply the image first? Then once you are done loading it onto the SSD, you then booted it on OSX which forces Windows to auto detect the new hardware? Just want to check the process again. Sounds like a typical corporate build. With this option you don't need an MBR record on the primary OSX boot drive?

Thanks!

Hi Gamaro

Yes, i connect it to a PC with the USB connector. Then i use Diskpart to generate the partitions. It is imporatant to inject the Thunderbolt driver into the image else the Mac won't boot the drive when connected to the Thunderbolt port. After applying the image with ImageX (which basically is the same as the first stage of a Windows 7 installation, everything prior to the first reboot of the installation) i use BCDboot to install the System partition files onto the Thunderbolt drive. And yes finally i connect the Thunderbolt to the Mac and hold the option button. I select the Windows Thunderbolt drive, Windows boots and the second stage of Windows setup starts (hardware detection). Absolutely nothing is installed onto the Mac drive. The Thunderbolt drive contains the Windows boot and System Partition files.

Today i injected all of the Bootcamp drivers into the Windows wim file, as soon as my iMac is here i can install Windows and if everything goes like planned, all the drivers are installed automatically :D

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
Sorry to be pestering, but does anyone have any info on how the drive wakes from sleep? Just I heard some people were having problems that meant the computer would freeze on wake. How hot it gets would also be nice to know.

Thanks a lot, and wishing everyone a happy 2013 :)

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
Im using a Lacie rugged thunderbolt 128 SSD. No freezing for me? I recommend doing this with a 256 SSD for abit more breathing room.

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
Im using a Lacie rugged thunderbolt 128 SSD. No freezing for me? I recommend doing this with a 256 SSD for abit more breathing room.

Thanks for the reply - do you see a substantial increase in speed? Also how hot does it get under normal use?

Carl Baron

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
Bench Marks

I tried similar with a 256MB OCZ Vector. The results are 353.8MB/s write and
363.86MB/s read. The results are about the same as you. Wonder if LaCie
Thunderbolt is similar to Seagate Thunderbolt. Hopefully they will get better thunderbolt adapters. Our SSDs should be faster. The actual LaCie SSD is a
Crucial M4 256 MB (500/260).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.