Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:15 PM   #1
MaxBurn
macrumors 65816
 
MaxBurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Who is doing Win 8 Pro in Bootcamp? (2012MBP)

How are bootcamp drivers in win 8 pro?

So I am currently doing win 7 ultimate and pretty happy with it but I would like to take it up to win 8 pro. Are you doing this? How is it working out?
MaxBurn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:20 PM   #2
karsten
macrumors 6502a
 
karsten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
there's no drivers yet for win8 under bootcamp so you have to patch up the system manually. it's really a hassle at this point. and trackpad support sucks so its not a real pleasant experience.
karsten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:03 PM   #3
lightz39
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Given the experience I've had with Windows 8 thus far you are better off with Windows 7 all together. Better os, better drivers.
__________________
15" Retina Macbook Pro 2.7/16/768
lightz39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:34 PM   #4
dastinger
macrumors 6502a
 
dastinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I've ran Windows 7 and am running Windows 8 on my rMBP under Boot camp.

No issues really. Used the drivers provided and just made sure I had the latest ones (like I would do anyway even if it was Windows 7). Updated the graphics driver (downloaded manually from the NVidia website) and just had to do a quick workaround to get the boot camp control panel working. Other than that, it's running perfectly fine and didn't have any issues. The trackpad works fine, keyboard as well. I use it mainly to play FIFA 13 and it runs perfectly (apart from the EFI issues that have nothing to do with Windows).
dastinger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:35 PM   #5
MaxBurn
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
MaxBurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastinger View Post
~ and just had to do a quick workaround to get the boot camp control panel working.~
What was the workaround?

Doesn't sound good really.
MaxBurn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:00 PM   #6
Wicked1
macrumors 68040
 
Wicked1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Jersey
Hate Windows 8, sticking with Windows 7 in boot camp, however I am just about done with Windows for good, except for work, where I have no choice.
__________________
iPhone 5 16GB White
2012 MacBook Pro 13" 2.5/4GB/240GB SSD
Wicked1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:52 AM   #7
mattxi
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Novosibirsk, RU and Minnesota, US
I'm running Windows 8 on my new rMBP, works flawlessly and beautifully. I haven't had any troubles with it yet. The drivers are technically the same as the windows 7 drivers you would get from Bootcamp.
mattxi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:59 PM   #8
dastinger
macrumors 6502a
 
dastinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
What was the workaround?

Doesn't sound good really.
Creating a second user account, give it Admin rights. Remove admin rights from primary account. Run boot camp control panel, configure the way you like (you only need to do it once anyway). Give admin rights to primary account again. Delete second account.

Nothing that will take you more than 5 minutes.
dastinger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:08 PM   #9
MaxBurn
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
MaxBurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastinger View Post
Creating a second user account, give it Admin rights. Remove admin rights from primary account. Run boot camp control panel, configure the way you like (you only need to do it once anyway). Give admin rights to primary account again. Delete second account.

Nothing that will take you more than 5 minutes.

Huh, that's an odd workaround but thanks.
MaxBurn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:40 AM   #10
vistadude
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
I'm waiting for Apple to officially come out with windows 8 drivers. They may not do it ever though, so I might be stuck with 7.
vistadude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:17 AM   #11
MaxBurn
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
MaxBurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Near as I can tell there are only two issues.

Boot camp assistant has trouble changing the boot partition, complains about privileges even though I have it set for compatibility mode and administrator. I think I can get around this by using option on boot or something.

Apple track pad drivers don't work.
MaxBurn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:18 AM   #12
lightz39
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
Near as I can tell there are only two issues.

Boot camp assistant has trouble changing the boot partition, complains about privileges even though I have it set for compatibility mode and administrator. I think I can get around this by using option on boot or something.

Apple track pad drivers don't work.
Some dude posted windows 8 specific drivers in this forum. Trackpad++ or something of the sorts.
__________________
15" Retina Macbook Pro 2.7/16/768
lightz39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:47 AM   #13
MaxBurn
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
MaxBurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Actually I seem to be close enough.

On the boot selection and not being able to enter boot camp assistant; only thing I really needed was to be able to switch to OSX. Temp fix is to just use option on reboot and select OSX.

For the track pad drivers the ones bootcamp didn't work the first time, so just go in and select USB input device and you will have basic track pad working. Then go in and have it search again and one shows up as apple multitouch and the other comes in as apple multitouch mouse. Then they worked and I could scroll and two finger right click. Good enough for me.
MaxBurn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:29 PM   #14
KPOM
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
I'm trying to install Win 8 Pro using Boot Camp Assistant on a 13" rMPB, and all that's happening is that when it installs, it boots right into a screen where the only thing that shows up is a blue bar along the left 1/4 of the screen. The rest of the screen is black, and nothing else happens. I can scroll the mouse pointer within the blue bar, but it doesn't do anything.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:51 PM   #15
MaxBurn
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
MaxBurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Couldnt say. I did an upgrade on an existing win7 bootcamp that was happy already. Borrow a win7 disk? Don't even have to activate, just get it happy with the drivers etc and run win8 upgrade.
MaxBurn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:15 PM   #16
dastinger
macrumors 6502a
 
dastinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
Actually I seem to be close enough.

On the boot selection and not being able to enter boot camp assistant; only thing I really needed was to be able to switch to OSX. Temp fix is to just use option on reboot and select OSX.

For the track pad drivers the ones bootcamp didn't work the first time, so just go in and select USB input device and you will have basic track pad working. Then go in and have it search again and one shows up as apple multitouch and the other comes in as apple multitouch mouse. Then they worked and I could scroll and two finger right click. Good enough for me.
Weird, I didn't have issues with the trackpad. All worked fine after installing the drivers. Maybe it was because you updated from 7 to 8. I clean installed.
dastinger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:35 AM   #17
MaxBurn
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
MaxBurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastinger View Post
Weird, I didn't have issues with the trackpad. All worked fine after installing the drivers. Maybe it was because you updated from 7 to 8. I clean installed.
Could be, I think it used the same driver. That or microsoft is caching them on their side as a WHQL thing.
MaxBurn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:38 AM   #18
vt9
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
I'm trying to install Win 8 Pro using Boot Camp Assistant on a 13" rMPB, and all that's happening is that when it installs, it boots right into a screen where the only thing that shows up is a blue bar along the left 1/4 of the screen. The rest of the screen is black, and nothing else happens. I can scroll the mouse pointer within the blue bar, but it doesn't do anything.
Were you able to solve the problem? I tried to install Windows 8 Pro today and ended up with the same blue bar/black screen you got.
vt9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:44 AM   #19
KPOM
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt9 View Post
Were you able to solve the problem? I tried to install Windows 8 Pro today and ended up with the same blue bar/black screen you got.
No. I've stuck with Windows 7 for now. I've heard it might work if you try upgrading a Windows 7 installation rather than doing a clean install. I'm wondering if it is a firmware issue.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Win 8 Pro Upgrade, bootcamp? cridgit001 Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 3 Feb 18, 2014 09:04 AM
Retina MacBook Pro Win 8 bootcamp question Matchy MacBook Pro 4 Aug 13, 2013 06:46 AM
Max brightness is too dim in Bootcamp Win 8 Pro Gator Bob Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 2 Jul 23, 2013 06:42 PM
Win 7 wifi networking stopped working bootcamp Mac pro kgreene Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 0 Mar 16, 2013 01:32 PM
How to read files from MacOS Bootcamp win partition done with bootcamp on PC? help :( navigates Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 2 Mar 10, 2013 07:14 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC