Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I have been getting this error every time I open Photoshop CS6 on my MacBook Pro. All I've found is a bunch of "me too" posts, and no solution...

Photoshop has detected graphics hardware that is not officially supported for 3D, and has temporarily disabled 3D functionality.

So what can I do since I can't upgrade my graphics card and it doesn't meet the requirements? :eek: I'd like to disable 3D if possible.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have been getting this error every time I open Photoshop CS6 on my MacBook Pro. All I've found is a bunch of "me too" posts, and no solution...

So what can I do since I can't upgrade my graphics card and it doesn't meet the requirements? :eek: I'd like to disable 3D if possible.

There's no "Don't show again" checkbox?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Oh, right... I didn't really want to do that. I would have rather disable the plugin itself, just so it had one less thing to load at start.

Under preferences --> performance settings, you can uncheck or customize "use graphics processor" if you like. Some things obviously won't work without it. In this case it sounds like you're using photoshop extended. For individual plugins you can find them in the Adobe Photoshop ---> plugins folder. Unless they changed something, adding a ~ to the name should disable a given plugin. Essential plugins are within the application package. I don't suggest disabling those.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Under preferences --> performance settings, you can uncheck or customize "use graphics processor" if you like. Some things obviously won't work without it. In this case it sounds like you're using photoshop extended. For individual plugins you can find them in the Adobe Photoshop ---> plugins folder. Unless they changed something, adding a ~ to the name should disable a given plugin. Essential plugins are within the application package. I don't suggest disabling those.

That didn't work, but thanks for trying. And yeah, I am using Extended. And I looked in my plugins folder, and I don't seem to have any. And like you said, disabling essentials wouldn't be a good idea.

I guess I'll wait and see what happens when the next update is pushed out then.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
That didn't work, but thanks for trying.

Blah I figured it might not be that given that the error specifically mentioned "3d". What card are you using? Loading a 3d viewport shouldn't be a big deal. The issue is typically when you reach high polygon count levels. I haven't paid too much attention to photoshop's 3d capabilities. They were first implemented around CS3. Since then they're still lacking reasonable modeling tools, modern handling of manifold problems, and decent shaders. The brush engine improved in CS6. The brush engine used to be rather poor compared to something like painter or manga studio. Speaking of that stuff, their 2d mesh relax tools could still use some work.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Blah I figured it might not be that given that the error specifically mentioned "3d". What card are you using? Loading a 3d viewport shouldn't be a big deal. The issue is typically when you reach high polygon count levels. I haven't paid too much attention to photoshop's 3d capabilities. They were first implemented around CS3. Since then they're still lacking reasonable modeling tools, modern handling of manifold problems, and decent shaders. The brush engine improved in CS6. The brush engine used to be rather poor compared to something like painter or manga studio. Speaking of that stuff, their 2d mesh relax tools could still use some work.

The funny thing is that I run Autodesk Maya on this machine with no issues, and I LOVE ray tracing and all those nice shaders. :rolleyes: I think they changed something they weren't supposed to and it'll be fixed in their next update in a few weeks.

I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro with Intel HD Graphics 3000, with 384 MB of VRAM. That isn't very impressive, but then again, earlier in the month I rendered THOUSANDS of stills in Maya with no problem.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro with Intel HD Graphics 3000, with 384 MB of VRAM. That isn't very impressive, but then again, earlier in the month I rendered THOUSANDS of stills in Maya with no problem.

Mental Ray doesn't use the gpu to render:p. Your viewport performance is affected by it, but I was really just curious if you had one of the really old white macbooks with GMA graphics. That's a lot of stills though, and yeah Adobe seems to be breaking stuff lately. The things I liked were the updated brush handling, especially in terms of pressure to size or opacity, ability to save in the background, and a couple other things. CS6 is still really buggy though:mad:.

Snarl

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
Canada Eh

Just out of curiosity whats your Spec ? should be some form of dedicated GPU, an AMD 6770 or 6750 ? which is a fairly new card, may just need a update to Photoshop ?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Just out of curiosity whats your Spec ? should be some form of dedicated GPU, an AMD 6770 or 6750 ? which is a fairly new card, may just need a update to Photoshop ?

There won't be one if it's a 13" Macbook Pro or an Air.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Yeah, can't do any upgrades to a MacBook Pro, so that's out of the question. Didn't have this issue until the last update that was supposed to be mainly for the Retina models. It's the latest update, and there isn't a newer one at the moment.

And yeah, I know very little about Maya and how it works. I just started using it in January. I just know it makes my machine get really hot! :eek:

I really like the new brush features too. I don't have much use for them though.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
And yeah, I know very little about Maya and how it works. I just started using it in January. I just know it makes my machine get really hot! :eek:

College course or major? It's an interesting program in that its capabilities are quite robust due to the amount of external development that has been implemented within it.

I really like the new brush features too. I don't have much use for them though.

There are some new brushes that take a huge amount of power to run at adequate speeds. I wasn't so much talking about them. I was talking about things like pressure controlled brush size and opacity. I can use them a lot more now as they aren't so jerky. I've always tested tablet + photoshop behavior against drawing pencil + paper placed in the same spot as my tablet. I don't consider the typical wacom setup to be the most comfortable thing, but I wanted to set it up to be as close as possible to the analogue results. This can be adjusted via pressure sensitivity in the wacom driver as well as mapping. I prefer 1:1, but I can't cover the entire display that way even with the large tablet. I use a mouse or trackpad to hit any edge areas because of this in case I need to grab a palette or place something there for reference. It really helps out immensely just tuning these things to a point where they're comfortable and as accurate to your hand motion as possible in actual use.

I don't want to go too far off topic there. Photoshop is perfectly usable with most graphics. This sounds like a bug more than anything. The HD 3000 should support the OpenGL features just fine. It will not support OpenCL functionality. This applies to something like vanishing point, liquify, I think warp, lighting effects, and iris blur. These aren't things that most people use often enough to make a huge difference. Iris blur is the only one that is really brutal without it. Some of those others might go from a few seconds to render to real time with OpenCL acceleration.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
College course or major? It's an interesting program in that its capabilities are quite robust due to the amount of external development that has been implemented within it.

I'm doing a marketable skills certificate. I don't have the time or money to do the full program. I'm planning on using the knowledge for my own use. I took audio production classes in my first year in college, and did photography/InDesign in middle/high school, and have been doing web design on my own since I was like 7 or 8. Currently learning a bit of Unity and some Android programming on my own.

And oh yeah, I really like it. It's getting easier to use everyday. In all my years of being in school, I haven't been so enthusiastic about learning/mastering something as I have with Maya. Still have a long ways to go, but I'm getting there.

I always wondered how the Wacom tablets worked in general, so glad you brought it up. I just use the trackpad with Inklet whenever I need it. It's not very good, but I figured out a way to use it without issue, but it's not a really great solution. I don't need it enough to justify a tablet though.

I think it's a bug too.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I always wondered how the Wacom tablets worked in general, so glad you brought it up. I just use the trackpad with Inklet whenever I need it. It's not very good, but I figured out a way to use it without issue, but it's not a really great solution. I don't need it enough to justify a tablet though.

I think it's a bug too.

It doesn't map 1:1 at default settings. I've tested it for hours each way. This way line work came out cleaner for me. I like being able to go somewhat by feel. Even a mouse would be an improvement over what you're using. Just ensure mouse acceleration is turned off and tune mapping speed to where you're comfortable. Sometimes intuos3 and 4 tablets show up on ebay or craiglist at a good price. I would test them if by some chance you go that route. Make sure they don't have any weird cursor jitter when the tool is left in place. With the 3s look at where the cord comes out of the tablet to ensure against any problematic cord wear or pinching. Depending on what you want to do, it can be very helpful. Anything involving a lot of painting or maybe heavy zbrush/mudbox work. I know some people use mice, which is why I mentioned how to configure one. Tools should be comfortable in the sense that it shouldn't feel jumpy. I've never heard of inklet.

Keep in mind I don't know exactly how you're using this array of software. If it doesn't involve too much in the way of freehand strokes, a tablet isn't a real necessity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.