Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
Best thing to happen to the iOS JB scene in years is for Installous to die... piracy is obviously a big part of the reason Apple fights so hard.

Anyways, if you know anything about the playing field you know Installous was last years news.

In two days, jailbreaking also will be last year's news.

"Jailbreaking the new iPhones...it's dead, Jim."

Attachments

• 461px-Deforest_Kelly_Dr_McCoy_Star_Trek.JPG
    461px-Deforest_Kelly_Dr_McCoy_Star_Trek.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 72

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Best thing to happen to the iOS JB scene in years is for Installous to die... piracy is obviously a big part of the reason Apple fights so hard.

Anyways, if you know anything about the playing field you know Installous was last years news.

Yes since everyone pirates. If Apple allowed Trial apps, there would be no need for Installous, why? Because you have torrents/filehosts.

Plus, last time I tried finding an app on Installous, all I received was API errors.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I've paid for about 98% of my apps. What I liked about installouis was you could find apps that were pulled from the app store like itether.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I've paid for EVERY app on my iPhones, unless they were free. Including $hundreds$ to tweak devs in Cydia store. And I will jailbreak when it is released for the iP5. The chronic dev team are hackers, not thieves. They will carry on, and those who used installous and move on to droid now that they can't get their "free trials" , I say good riddance. They are a millstone around the JB community's neck, imo.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
could be the end of an era, im disapoointed installous died, they had a huge archive of old apps that my ipod 2g appreciates and i got to try some of the apps that i couldnt even afford. im not one for piracy but 10$ for an app is steep even for me.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2011
lol... anyone trying to justify installous makes me laugh.

But maybe it is time to accept that the jb scene is dead... and for that maybe the iphone and apple as well. Kind of feels like the stock drop is justified.

Anyways I'm moving back to android, so I couldn't care less anymore.

ARSkemp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
Gotta say, I'm beginning to lose hope. I had a JB 4s before my 5. The main reason I upgraded to an iPhone 5 a few weeks ago was because I got the phone free through a new job. It was tough losing all the jailbroken tweaks I was accustomed too. I've probably got ~ $50 bucks or so invested in Cydia tweaks.

I honestly don't care if the jailbreak costs money. I'd expect it to, people have put a lot effort into finding these exploits and utilizing them. I would easily pay $20 for a jailbreak. Probably even double that if I really had to.

I can tell you I am not going to jump ship (yet) if no jailbreak ever comes out for the iPhone 5. Yes, I have played around with androids (with ICS, rooting, custom roms) and that is not what I am looking for. Maybe if it continues to mature in the pace it has I will eventually switch, but for now its just not for me. I want a customizable/tweakable iOS experience. It's what I personally enjoy using the most.

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
Installous is now gone. Hackulous is now gone. JB scene really is dead. Perhaps most people who jailbreak their phones have now moved to android since their platform is a lot more stable now.

somehow i agree , time to move on to android

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Installous is now gone. Hackulous is now gone. JB scene really is dead. Perhaps most people who jailbreak their phones have now moved to android since their platform is a lot more stable now.

So the software that basically indulged pirating is gone, and you think they moved to android because its a lot more stable..... Yeah that was the reason :rolleyes:

----------

Yes since everyone pirates. If Apple allowed Trial apps, there would be no need for Installous, why? Because you have torrents/filehosts.

Plus, last time I tried finding an app on Installous, all I received was API errors.

How terrible for you....

And we've heard the 'trial' and the 'I buy the ones I like' excuses so many times before.

----------

lol... anyone trying to justify installous makes me laugh.

+1 I guess it eases the conscience!

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I honestly don't care if the jailbreak costs money. I'd expect it to, people have put a lot effort into finding these exploits and utilizing them. I would easily pay $20 for a jailbreak. Probably even double that if I really had to.

If no one will make a jailbreak for free, someone should make one and charge for it - I too would pay $20 for an iOS6 Jailbreak.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
i will never give up my jailbroken iPad 3 w/ iOS 5.1.1

BTC Mouse is just too great...it allows me to turn my iPad 3 into a true laptop replacement with all day battery life

mamema

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
regarding installous, perhaps its the other way around. Piracy not possible anymore, now there are more possibilities to get a jailbreak. i0nic was one of the devs which regrets to work on jailbreaks because of piracy

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
i will never give up my jailbroken iPad 3 w/ iOS 5.1.1

BTC Mouse is just too great...it allows me to turn my iPad 3 into a true laptop replacement with all day battery life

How did I not know about this tweak? Thank you!!! Now I will definitely pay for a jailbreak!

regarding installous, perhaps its the other way around. Piracy not possible anymore, now there are more possibilities to get a jailbreak. i0nic was one of the devs which regrets to work on jailbreaks because of piracy

Piracy sucks, got it. But there are legitimate buyer who try apps out and buy them.

Last edited:

Schnedi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
and do you think piracy dies with installous? LoL!

xsellize, sinfuliphone, clubifone, iphoneame, iapplications, appcake, wnmstore, iphone app lists, idownloads, iRapple.... do i have to continue?

mamema

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
How did I not know about this tweak? Thank you!!! Now I will definitely pay for a jailbreak!

Piracy sucks, got it. But there are legitimate buyer who try apps out and buy them.

i'm sure the community can go without these two or three people. :)

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
and do you think piracy dies with installous? LoL!

xsellize, sinfuliphone, clubifone, iphoneame, iapplications, appcake, wnmstore, iphone app lists, idownloads, iRapple.... do i have to continue?

Thanks!

i'm sure the community can go without these two or three people. :)

What 2 or 3 people? I'm just saying, not everyone jailbreaks for piracy. If Installous just makes it easier, a piracy app store. Everyone that I know who has an iPhone doesn't even know what jailbreaking is. They see my phone and ask why it looks different, and I tell them and they ask if I can jailbreak their phone. Of course they are always updating the firmware or upgrading their phones, so I cant.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL

"A lot more stable now"... This is exactly why the iPhone is superior. Because Apple's platform just is stable. I would rather have an iPhone 3s jailbroken than any droid that exists now or probably ever will. :cool:

Dr Sam Beckett

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
"A lot more stable now"... This is exactly why the iPhone is superior. Because Apple's platform just is stable. I would rather have an iPhone 3s jailbroken than any droid that exists now or probably ever will. :cool:

defensive much?
he didnt say it is more stable than iOS..lol he was just saying android is much further along than it was years ago.

Schnedi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Thanks!

What 2 or 3 people? I'm just saying, not everyone jailbreaks for piracy. If Installous just makes it easier, a piracy app store. Everyone that I know who has an iPhone doesn't even know what jailbreaking is. They see my phone and ask why it looks different, and I tell them and they ask if I can jailbreak their phone. Of course they are always updating the firmware or upgrading their phones, so I cant.

i said it just for people knows installous is not the only piracy site/app. i didn't use Installous for piracy. yes i had it on my phone ONLY because i used VEVO app BUT since it's available in the Spanish AppStore i don't use installous and it's not in my i4 anymore...

"A lot more stable now"... This is exactly why the iPhone is superior. Because Apple's platform just is stable

if you say that is probably because you have no ******** idea about Android! have you used the S3 and Jelly Bean? the best Open OS.

I would rather have an iPhone 3s jailbroken than any droid that exists now or probably ever will. :cool:

yes, because an iphone without jailbreak is not a "complete" phone. it's soo sad you to buy a device for 700€ and cannot event customize it!!....

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
i said it just for people knows installous is not the only piracy site/app. i didn't use Installous for piracy. yes i had it on my phone ONLY because i used VEVO app BUT since it's available in the Spanish AppStore i don't use installous and it's not in my i4 anymore...

if you say that is probably because you have no ******** idea about Android! have you used the S3 and Jelly Bean? the best Open OS.

yes, because an iphone without jailbreak is not a "complete" phone. it's soo sad you to buy a device for 700€ and cannot event customize it!!....

I agree and am regretting my iPhone 5 purchase. Without question am going to Andriod next go round. Unfortunately I imagine the number of users Apple loses over this will be extremely minimal as most are clueless soccer moms.

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010

I've used Jelly Bean on my Galaxy Nexus. Both versions.

It's laughable (to say the least) compared to iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.