Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

intel_logo.jpg
According to TechCrunch, Intel is planning to launch its own virtual cable TV service and set top box in the near future. The news comes at a time when rumors of Apple's own television service have been becoming more frequent.

To combat licensing issues, Intel has decided to roll out the service on a city-by-city basis rather than launching nationwide, allowing Intel to negotiate for control of smaller markets with content providers, who have been reluctant to hand over valuable licensing rights.
A source in the video distribution industry directly familiar with Intel's plans and content dealings tells TechCrunch the semiconductor company is dead serious about getting its chips into the living room. After its effort to convince smart TV manufacturers to use its chips in the initial launch of Google TV failed a few years ago, it's decided to go it alone. The source said that Intel was frustrated with "everyone doing a half-assed Google TV so it's going to do it themselves and do it right."

The plan is to create a set-top box and subscription TV service that would appeal to people who want streaming TV access but don't want to entirely cut the cable cord and lose key content like sports.
Like Intel, Apple has been said to be working on a similar set up for its rumored Apple-branded television set, an idea that was made famous by Walter Isaacson's biography on Steve Jobs, when Jobs expressed his desire to revolutionize the television industry.

apple_tv_favorite_tv_shows.jpg
Since then, the Apple television set has been the source of much speculation, and it is believed that Apple is hoping to include features like Siri and FaceTime, as well as content from third party providers and motion control.

Apple has faced problems with content procurance, which may be why the much rumored TV has yet to make an appearance. There have been similar rumors about a more robust version of the Cupertino-based company's existing Apple TV set top box, but that too has yet to be seen.

As of mid-2012, Apple has been rumored to be in talks with cable services like Comcast and Timer Warner Cable, though no content deals seem to have been made public.

The Wall Street Journal (via TechCrunch) notes that Intel has also had problems securing content deals, with content providers unwilling to offer television channels piece meal because of contractual barriers set in place by cable providers. Intel's city-by-city launch aims to allow content providers to experiment with access in less restrictive markets.

Intel's cable TV service and set top box may launch as soon as January 7 at Intel's CES event, according to tipsters. There's still no word on when an Apple television might be announced.

The most recent rumors state that Apple's Foxconn factories are currently testing several television set designs, in the 46-55 inch range.

Article Link: Intel to Launch Cable TV Service and Set Top Box at CES 2013

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
My hopes aren't high for something that special from Intel, but I'm definitely interested in what Apple can do.

I moved to a new apartment this month where Verizon FiOS is available, so I'm currently still reveling in what was a huge upgrade from my old Time Warner Cable TV services!

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
I moved to a new apartment this month where Verizon FiOS is available, so I'm currently still reveling in what was a huge upgrade from my old Time Warner Cable TV services!

I'm my eyes, FiOS is the benchmark for what cable services should strive for. They've got the best selection of channels combined with the most appealing UI of any services.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Interesting. Has anyone taken a look at Google Fiber?

Seems like to me Google could also be doing something like this.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
I'm sure NBC Universal/Comcast will be very open to this idea and will surely give Intel a fair price for content from NBC, USA, NBC Sports, Bravo, MSNBC, Telemundo, E!, etc.

Plunch

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
Procuration is not the correct word in this context. You're looking for procurance.

Oneness

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2007
Cowtown
Why can't Verizon Fios come to my neighborhood?? It's a nice neighborhood. They would like it there.

----------

Interesting. Has anyone taken a look at Google Fiber?

Seems like to me Google could also be doing something like this.

Google Fiber sounds great - if you live in Kansas City, oh, I'm sorry, make that - if you live in certain neighborhoods of Kansas City.

Google Fiber's tag-line should be - 'Coming to the other 99.95% of America by 2030'

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
So lintel is going to be making new boxes for comcast or some other cable provider, that also happen to allow subscribers to watch streaming content? Is that what this is? gross.

apple should buy Verizon's fiber network. Then content providers would have no choice but to play ball. Then roll it out nationwide so everyone has 100mbs connections.

anyone know if its possible to have an enjoyable streaming experience with a 12mbps connection? including streaming live content, and channel surfing?

over the air hdtv is a breath of fresh air compared to streaming anything.

Born Again

macrumors 68040
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Ces2013 will suck.

Apple will not succeed with their tv

People won't pay more for cable tv

Cable tv is in the drivers seat

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
So Intel is resorting to copying actual Apple laptops to copying rumors of potential Apple product. That's going to end well.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
Drawing a blank on the last piece of Intel software I used might have been...

Drivers for hardware, and that's it. I don't know why Intel is going into cable TV. They have no ecosystem.

----------

Like Apple cable TV, don't like the Apple TV set. It's pointless when you can just have an Apple TV box on a regular TV. Knowing Apple, the Apple TV set will probably be too hip and cool for composite or component input, making it half-useless to me if I were to buy one.

----------

I'm my eyes, FiOS is the benchmark for what cable services should strive for. They've got the best selection of channels combined with the most appealing UI of any services.

FiOS has great service, but the comment on their UI almost made me laugh. There's a ridiculous amount of clutter everywhere with all this widget BS and other stuff flying at you. The DVR features are a bit sketchy. To use your iPhone/iPod as a remote, you have to get their app, which is pretty clunky (and was way, way worse before a recent update). The also spelled "search" as "seach" in the movie selection UI. And to make matters worse, the box crashes sometimes, especially when dealing with Amazon video. Once it crashes, you can't use an iOS remote app with it unless you go and hit a button on the real remote, which is a pain for me since my box is in the basement.

But they do have a great selection of channels and movies. The actual service is great if you ignore the customer service, which is pretty much nonexistent. I called about the DNS lookup failing very often on the ISP service in FiOS, and they told me I had to PAY to get that kind of tech support. WTF?!

Last edited:

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Why can't Verizon Fios come to my neighborhood?? It's a nice neighborhood. They would like it there.

----------

Google Fiber sounds great - if you live in Kansas City, oh, I'm sorry, make that - if you live in certain neighborhoods of Kansas City.

Google Fiber's tag-line should be - 'Coming to the other 99.95% of America by 2030'

Still more than what intel has.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.