Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Why is their no games syncing over iCloud. I mean why can't I do a level on a game on my iphone and it continue from that place on my ipad seems so simple to integrate

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
I believe developers can implement iCloud if they wish, Grand Theft Auto Vice City does this for example.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
It's more than possible for developers to do it, but it's just not seen as an important feature.

I expect that some of the larger publishers would like a cross-platform system.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'm not sure why developers haven't gotten in to this. Having this would honestly encourage me to buy more of those non-universal, double-dipping, "HD" versions of games they sell for the iPad.

Like, I'm not opposed to buying Angry Birds twice, exactly, but I'm sure as heck not re-playing every level twice. So I never bought the iPad versions.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I'm not sure why developers haven't gotten in to this. Having this would honestly encourage me to buy more of those non-universal, double-dipping, "HD" versions of games they sell for the iPad.

I don't think that it would ever be possible for a developer to access data like that using iCloud.

It would have to be the exact same App - not a lite or HD version.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Some games do. I'm almost positive that The Simpsons: Tapped Out has this type of thing. Unless I misunderstand what's being asked. Give it time. I imagine as tablets continue to gain traction as legitimate gaming devices, we will see more "serious" titles emerge. It's only a matter of time before you can play a few levels of Halo on your iPad, while taking the bus home from work, and pick it up on your Xbox/Playstation.

xhArRiSoNxD

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Massachusetts
I don't think that it would ever be possible for a developer to access data like that using iCloud.

It would have to be the exact same App - not a lite or HD version.

Actually i think you're wrong. I have Fieldrunners 2 for my iPhone but when I go into my iCloud setting I see the game Fieldrunners 2 HD in my iCloud manage storage area. I never bought Fiendrunners 2 HD. But I think if I bought it my game saves would sync.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Actually i think you're wrong. I have Fieldrunners 2 for my iPhone but when I go into my iCloud setting I see the game Fieldrunners 2 HD in my iCloud manage storage area. I never bought Fiendrunners 2 HD. But I think if I bought it my game saves would sync.

Indeed I am wrong.

After doing a little bit more research, a Developer can make a storage container in iCloud that is shared between Apps.

throys

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2011
London
Why is their no games syncing over iCloud. I mean why can't I do a level on a game on my iphone and it continue from that place on my ipad seems so simple to integrate

They are few games I have which does this but still quite few big names I'm waiting for like Need for speed most wanted, Real Racing and other big names but I'm sure it will be implemented soon.:)

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
I really would love to see this. I hate buying an upgraded phone and having all of the levels I beat gone, some of which were hard to beat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.