Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I'm in the process of putting together cash for a Jeep so my quad went on Amazon. It sold for 500 euro 40 more euro than I paid for it. With the sale of that and the sale of the my 12" PowerBook 2 weeks ago I'm now PowerPC less. :eek:

Now if I can get the Mac Pro sold I'll be all set down to the MBP and the Hack.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Nice job on getting a good price on the G5. I thought you just recently bought the Mac Pro?

The nice thing about PPC's is you can always find some variety of one for a good price (at least here in the U.S.), so it's easy to pick another one up and have a new, inexpensive toy of some sort or another.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Nice job on getting a good price on the G5. I thought you just recently bought the Mac Pro?

The nice thing about PPC's is you can always find some variety of one for a good price (at least here in the U.S.), so it's easy to pick another one up and have a new, inexpensive toy of some sort or another.

I did..

The short story is one of my customers traded in his powerful PC (my hackintosh) for 2 less expensive and less power computers. I had had the better part of a hack so I finished it. So I'm going to put the 4870 back in the MP with its newly acquired16GB of RAM and a single green drive and part with it I think.

My issue is I'm a tinkerer once the tinkering is done I'm bored and thats where I am with the Hack. there is no more OC'ing and everything else is done so I'm bored.

I can probably get about the same amount for either so now I'm wondering if I should just sell the hack and keep the Mac long term..

Here is the hack and the Jeep..What says you guys?

Attachments

• Comp 1.jpg
    Comp 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 105
  • Comp 2.jpg
    Comp 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 93
  • Comp 3.jpg
    Comp 3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 119
  • Comp 4.jpg
    Comp 4.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 83
  • Jeep.jpg
    Jeep.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,184

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
If you can sell the Hackintosh and get good money for it, do it, because in a short while that will have no value while the Mac Pro will still have value years from now.

Here in the U.S., user built computers (including Hackintosh's) have almost no resale value, at least in my experience and the prices I see others asking for home built PCs/Hacks on Craigslist.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Here
If you can sell the Hackintosh and get good money for it, do it, because in a short while that will have no value while the Mac Pro will still have value years from now.

Here in the U.S., user built computers (including Hackintosh's) have almost no resale value, at least in my experience and the prices I see others asking for home built PCs/Hacks on Craigslist.

That is my inclination because I'm American also..

It'll be a bit tuff to explain that the MP has been flashed and the processors have been changed etc.

I figure 800-900 euro for either computer..

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
Congrats on selling your Quad. I am thinking about selling my Quad also. I just have too many newer intel Macs that I use for developing and my entire Quad setup has been sitting for a few weeks now. It's a shame to have a Quad with 16GB RAM, flashed 7800GTX 512 along with a 6600 LE and 2 X 23" Apple Cinema displays just sitting and doing nothing :(

This is also a bit of a sad thread as I see so much more of this. I have sold quite a few of my older PPC Macs over the past few years and went solely with intel as my game is intel only. My Quad is still a great computer, but I have come to the conclusion that I just have to move on :(

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Well the quad is back, or should be at my work apartment now :D

They buyer said it had graphics problems but wouldn't send a screen shot, then in another email 15 min later said oh and it's slow too..

Hopefully all is intact and there really isn't a problem just a little buyers remorse. If everything is kosher I might just put it on ebay with my newly acquired 20" ACD or maybe use it as a folder..either way its back and I'm kinda happy about it.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Congrats on selling your Quad. I am thinking about selling my Quad also. I just have too many newer intel Macs that I use for developing and my entire Quad setup has been sitting for a few weeks now. It's a shame to have a Quad with 16GB RAM, flashed 7800GTX 512 along with a 6600 LE and 2 X 23" Apple Cinema displays just sitting and doing nothing :(

This is also a bit of a sad thread as I see so much more of this. I have sold quite a few of my older PPC Macs over the past few years and went solely with intel as my game is intel only. My Quad is still a great computer, but I have come to the conclusion that I just have to move on :(

yeah I recently sold my powerpc setup and went intel today

For $125 I got an 2007 white imac to replace my aging g5
Old g5 specs--new imac specs
Dual 2ghz g5--dual 2.16ghz intel core 2 duo
4gb ram------4gb ram
160gb hdd----160gb ssd
10.5.8--------10.6.8

currently looking on my local craigslist for an intel black macbook to replace my powerbook :(

god I miss the summer of 2012 when I was making do with just a sawtooth and a dream

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland

4gb ram------4gb ram
160gb hdd----160gb ssd
10.5.8--------10.6.8

currently looking on my local craigslist for an intel black macbook to replace my powerbook :(

god I miss the summer of 2012 when I was making do with just a sawtooth and a dream

Goodbye :(

yangchewren

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012

4gb ram------4gb ram
160gb hdd----160gb ssd
10.5.8--------10.6.8

with or without the SSD, that 2007 imac is a damn good deal at $125.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.