Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Yet a number of non-running QBs have been taken out with concussions from either standing in the pocket or run of the mill scrambling. I agree that some of the rules are ticky-tacky but Force=Mass x Acceleration and these DE's and linebackers aren't getting any slower or smaller so giving them free reign to tee-off on pretty stationary target is just asking for trouble.

People treat these injuries as inconsequential, but with concussions, there are only so many you can get. Being a victim myself of numerous concussions (skateboard business and not always being that careful), the injuries may not seem all that much at first but they add up.

It's definitely not a video game where you simply reset after your QB or other player gets hit too much and isn't as effective. These are real people who eventually require less frequent and smaller hits to receive the same amount of damage that much bigger and more frequent hits rendered in their early years. There's a different level of damage by a solid hit on the same player who is 21 or 22 versus one who is 26 with a few years in, and one who is over 30. There's a reason there are very few QBs who make it into their late-30s producing the same numbers and able to take the same hits. My money is usually on the younger QBs like a Kap on the Niners or or Russell Wilson of the Seahawks than older and much more fragile guys like Peyton or Brady who have both already lost a lot of time due to injury. Sure, being talented is important but in this sport, being able to recover from the violent hits is the other half of the equation.

And yes, the defense are not getting any smaller nor any slower.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
So Greg Sackelroy was hiding symptoms of a concussion (or Rex is lying again) and Ryan named Sanchez a starter for Sunday's game against Buffalo. The New York Jets…comedy that keeps on giving and giving and giving...

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
So Greg Sackelroy was hiding symptoms of a concussion (or Rex is lying again) and Ryan named Sanchez a starter for Sunday's game against Buffalo. The New York Jets…comedy that keeps on giving and giving and giving...

Sanchez will be forever remembered for the butt fumble. How do u think hes feelin bout that?

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I am totally shocked that this Niners team, nothing like last years dominant team, got the #2 spot and the bye! We are just one spot behind Atlanta? That is totally surreal since they are in another tier of football than us.

I hope my team gets to heal some of their banged up players and comes to divisional play in two weeks totally healthy and ready to play like I know they can.

I didn't expect to see the Vikings to beat Green Bay and I have no idea how the Cowboys will fare tonight. I would be thrilled to see the Cowboys again the playoffs. I don't expect too much and the Super Bowl will probably be something like Atlanta vs. Denver or Atlanta vs. Houston. If Atlanta goes to the big show, I predict they will beat any AFC team by two touchdowns. If things go my way and San Francisco goes, then the team that actually scares me the most are the Texans and then the Ravens. ESPN called it the Niners vs. the Ravens at the beginning of the season and this matchup has a good chance of happening.

Last edited:

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
I am totally shocked that this Niners team, nothing like last years dominant team, got the #2 spot and the bye! We are just one spot behind Atlanta? That is totally surreal since they are in another tier of football than us.

I hope my team gets to heal some of their banged up players and comes to divisional play in two weeks totally healthy and ready to play like I know they can.

I didn't expect to see the Vikings to beat Green Bay and I have no idea how the Cowboys will fare tonight. I would be thrilled to see the Cowboys again the playoffs. I don't expect too much and the Super Bowl will probably be something like Atlanta vs. Denver or Atlanta vs. Houston. If Atlanta goes to the big show, I predict they will beat any AFC team by two touchdowns. If things go my way and San Francisco goes, then the team that actually scares me the most are the Texans and then the Ravens. ESPN called it the Niners vs. the Ravens at the beginning of the season and this matchup has a good chance of happening.

Atlanta is going to lose to Seattle. I would not be at all surprised to see a Seattle at GB NFC championship, but playing in San Fran will make it tougher to get there

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Be prepared for the Romo blasts all week long.

Wow I can't believe it happened to him again in a big spot. That's going to haunt him his whole career. and it's a shame too because he's a really good QB but unless he wins a Super Bowl before he retires, he'll always be remembered for not being able to win the crucial game and always finding a way to lose it at the end.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Wow I can't believe it happened to him again in a big spot. That's going to haunt him his whole career. and it's a shame too because he's a really good QB but unless he wins a Super Bowl before he retires, he'll always be remembered for not being able to win the crucial game and always finding a way to lose it at the end.

They said last night on the game that Romo is 1-7 in elimination type games which includes 1-3 in the playoffs. Have to say, I was cheering for those interceptions as I wanted RGIII to go to the playoffs.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Doesn't matter who wins tonight. The Seahawks are gonna beat them next Sunday.

:D

i cannot believe i am saying this but i do believe that the SEAHAWKS are the team to beat right now...

----------

sorry, i still don't see it.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
i cannot believe i am saying this but i do believe that the SEAHAWKS are the team to beat right now...

----------

sorry, i still don't see it.

Just look at his numbers, he puts up crazy stats but its always that one play late in an important game that kills him. I'm not saying he's an elite QB... but i would definitely put him in the second tier.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
....and in important news the Jets have announced they are firing Tannenbaum (rightfully so), and keeping Rex.

Regarding the playoffs, the it's going to be a long week in Houston. Six weeks ago, the Texans were arguably the best team in the AFC - and now they have fallen off a cliff.

Bad special teams, bad secondary play (though admittedly they've had some injuries), inconstent run game, and a bad month for Matt Schaub = epic collapse.

And if somehow they can beat the Bengals, their reward is a rematch with the Pats in Foxboro.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Atlanta is going to lose to Seattle. I would not be at all surprised to see a Seattle at GB NFC championship, but playing in San Fran will make it tougher to get there

This NFC playoff schedule is brutal. So much of the power of the NFL has been in the NFC in for quite a long time but none more than now.

Washington looked great last night and they are better than I had originally thought. What if the NFC championship has you against them? RGIII was so holding back on running last night but when the playoffs are on, he will give his team that x-factor. While I don't see the 4th, 5th or 6th seeds of the AFC as credible threats save Baltimore, the 4th, 5th and 6th of the NFC can actually win it all.

It will be really hard to predict who will take it all in the NFC this year. If Seattle plays like they did against San Francisco then nobody in the NFL stands a chance. If Rodgers has the support of the rest of the team, then Green Bay is unstoppable. But if either Seattle or GB doesn't show, then the remaining NFC seeds can take out anybody in the AFC. Had Manning or Brady been younger and could scramble if need be and take hits like it was nothing (like they did in their 20s utilizing both their sizes), then I would put even money on either of those two to take on anybody in the NFC. Baltimore, before injuries, would be the top seed in AFC as predicted right now. They will have to play in wild card round and that won't help their case. To me, the Colts are an unknown entity and wouldn't it be something to see them take out the Broncos.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

I'm not so sure SEA beats WAS... WAS looks like one of those teams who is getting hot and peaking at the right time.. Had the game been in Seattle I would say Seahawks hands down but on the road they could easily lose to the Redskins. Its going to be a good close back and forth game in my opinion, and both rookie QB's have shown they can lead game winning drives.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
....and in important news the Jets have announced they are firing Tannenbaum (rightfully so), and keeping Rex.

Regarding the playoffs, the it's going to be a long week in Houston. Six weeks ago, the Texans were arguably the best team in the AFC - and now they have fallen off a cliff.

Bad special teams, bad secondary play (though admittedly they've had some injuries), inconstent run game, and a bad month for Matt Schaub = epic collapse.

And if somehow they can beat the Bengals, their reward is a rematch with the Pats in Foxboro.

1st round winners:
Texans
Packers
Ravens
Seahawks

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Not sure if anybody is familiar with the Oregon Ducks but the Redskins and Seahawks play just like the ducks. Same scheme and all.

It would be interesting to see the Wishbone offense in the NFL. ( not saying Oregon used it )

With guys like RG3,Wilson,Morris and Lynch using that option play I could see it.

In any case the Seattle-Washington game will be a nail-biting running game.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Watching the Redskins take down the Cowboys twice in 2 months... priceless. :D:D

You're telling me.

I was there at FedEx Field last night, in the teen-degree weather in order to see the Redskins win!

I must say, the Cowboys looked weak last night. And Romo doesn't seem like he can perform at his level (Which is alright, he's not a bad QB - not the best either) when he's under pressure. I don't think he'll be taking the Cowboys to the Superbowl anytime soon.

Honestly, the two picks in the beginning had me really hoping that it would be an easy win and our defense would be better than they normally are. However, it was about to come down to the wire, but the last interception that Romo threw sealed the game.

The way the Redskins have been performing lately, we definitely look like a decent playoff team. I think we can beat the Seahawks next week, and move on.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You're telling me.

I was there at FedEx Field last night, in the teen-degree weather in order to see the Redskins win!

I must say, the Cowboys looked weak last night. And Romo doesn't seem like he can perform at his level (Which is alright, he's not a bad QB - not the best either) when he's under pressure. I don't think he'll be taking the Cowboys to the Superbowl anytime soon.

Honestly, the two picks in the beginning had me really hoping that it would be an easy win and our defense would be better than they normally are. However, it was about to come down to the wire, but the last interception that Romo threw sealed the game.

The way the Redskins have been performing lately, we definitely look like a decent playoff team. I think we can beat the Seahawks next week, and move on.

I'm from the DC area living in Houston. Our best friends, native Texans, have season tickets to the Dallas games. We were there for Thanksgiving at Cowboy stadium (Dallas). My wife totally gets into it at a point where Dallas fans, peoples' kids were staring at her, like "what is wrong with you" when she cheered at Dallas mishaps...I cheered but not like her. I don't know if they flew in but there were tons of Redskin fans in Cowboy stadium. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.