Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:06 AM   #1
Imola Ghost
macrumors 65816

Is there a way to have uncompressed audio and still have iTunes recognize them?

Considering that hard drive storage is not a problem I'd like to find a way to rip/encode all of my compact discs to the hard drive without compressing them BUT still be able to stream, install & play in iTunes, airplay to Apple TV's or Airport Express.

I have them all in Apple Lossless but since I have TONS of storage space and I care about the audio quality what are my options?
Imola Ghost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:38 AM   #2
Destroysall
macrumors 65816

I'm not understanding the problem. Lossless format is compressed, but it does not impact sound quality. Apple Lossless (ALAC), FLAC, WAV, and AIFF are all lossless. No quality in sound is lost. You are fine and ALAC will stream via Airplay without a loss in quality as well.

Destroysall.
Destroysall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:25 AM   #3
cheekypaul
macrumors member

iTunes, AirPlay and express all recognise and work well with apple lossless. You're all set!
Is something not working?
cheekypaul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:37 AM   #4
Julien
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroysall View Post
I'm not understanding the problem. Lossless format is compressed, but it does not impact sound quality. Apple Lossless (ALAC), FLAC, WAV, and AIFF are all lossless. No quality in sound is lost. You are fine and ALAC will stream via Airplay without a loss in quality as well.

Destroysall.
Just to expand and make more clear. ALAC and FLAC are compressed but lossless (like a zip file). WAV and AIFF are uncompressed and lossless. For understanding MP3 and ACC are compressed and lossy (not CD quality).

ALAC (FLAC is not supported in iTunes) is the best bet since you get full CD quality at about 50% of the file size and can be converted to any other format (lossy AAC/MP3 or lossless WAV/AIFF/FLAC). iTunes, Airpot, Apple TV and all iDevices (sans Shuffle) support ALAC.

AIFF and WAV can be used in iTunes but you lose metadata and doesn't (I think) stream to Airport.
Julien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:12 PM   #5
spoonie1972
macrumors 6502

since i've never tried, i'll ask.

are 24-bit 96k or 192k files supported in iTunes?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonie1972 View Post
since i've never tried, i'll ask.

are 24-bit 96k or 192k files supported in iTunes?
iTunes, yes; iPods don't.

http://www.audioquest.com/wp-content...per-220dpi.pdf
50548 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:35 PM   #7
bwhli
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Ghost View Post
Considering that hard drive storage is not a problem I'd like to find a way to rip/encode all of my compact discs to the hard drive without compressing them BUT still be able to stream, install & play in iTunes, airplay to Apple TV's or Airport Express.

I have them all in Apple Lossless but since I have TONS of storage space and I care about the audio quality what are my options?
Apple Lossless is lossless. You won't get any more quality from a WAV or AIFF encode of the same file.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:59 PM   #8
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Ghost View Post

So what is the point? Lossless is bit per bit identical to uncompressed except it takes less space.

But there is one more this. There is less disk I/O. I mean it requires less resources to read the lossless files from the disk so your computer can do other stuff. It's not just about space on the drive, it is about getting those bits up and down the cable, If iTubes puts 1/2 as many bits down the cable then other software has some bandwidth available.

If empty disk space is a problem, go shoot some video that will fill it up.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio