Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:15 AM   #1
Mdv2
macrumors regular

Best media server: Playback, Eyeconnect, other?

I bought a Western Digital Live TV the other day, which I am using in combination with my Macbook (ML 10.8.2) and I've finally managed to get it running.

Initially, it wouldn't work due to changes Apple made in SMB sharing. I've finally managed to get it working by using trial versions of Playback and Eyeconnect media servers, which both seem to work flawlessly. However, I would like to know which of those is considered better and more stable as I haven't had a chance to fully test each of them yet. Should I consider alternatives?
Mdv2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 06:12 PM   #2
skiffx
macrumors 6502a

What did you end up using after a few months?
I actually like Playback better because it has an ability to sort by date modified.

But overall when playing 720 mkv rips on a wifi WDTV, very often it stops playing content after a few minutes of playback

Last edited by skiffx; Mar 8, 2013 at 06:40 PM.
skiffx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Dc2006ster
macrumors member

Not sure if it will work with your system but I use the free PS3 media server to stream directly to my DLNA compliant TV from my Mac . I found EyeConnect to be unreliable and PS3 Media Server handles a wider range of audio and video files.

I did not know about Playmaker. Will give it a try.
Dc2006ster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 02:26 AM   #4
Mdv2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffx View Post
What did you end up using after a few months?
I actually like Playback better because it has an ability to sort by date modified.

But overall when playing 720 mkv rips on a wifi WDTV, very often it stops playing content after a few minutes of playback
I haven't had such problem. Is it not related to your internet connection? I've decided to stick with Playback and loving it.
Mdv2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store