Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquidizer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Hello,

I've been searching around for a while now looking for a solution to my problem but to no avail. What I'm looking for, as hinted at in the title, is an external hard drive for my iPad 3, that does not require an internet connection. I came across the Kingston Wi-Drive, as well as the Seagate GoFlex however as far as I can tell both of these devices nneed a wi-fi connection. I realise I'm unlikely to find an external device the iPad can access without it relying on an internet connection but I just want to make sure. Maybe there's some kind of device that works via bluetooth or something? (No, probably not, I'm not very good at all of this stuff so please don't shout at me :p)

Thank you in advance.

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
So theoretically you wouldn't be able to listen to music stored on your external and browse the web at the same time...aww.

HengenJL

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
from what I've read both the Wi-Drive and GoFlex have the ability to have a "pass through" mode. so you'd connect the Wi-Drive/GoFlex to your home network and then connect the iPad to Wi-Drive/GoFlex and have internet access.

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
I don't think so since you're essentially already on a network. I think they're designed to use for media playback.

Can't speak for the Kingston, but a GoFlex on a current firmware version allows you to connect the goflex internal streaming network to an existing WiFi network with web access. You just tell it the network and provide the credentials and then all requests that don't point to the drive get forwarded to the external network.

Other than the lack of any library management type stuff the GoFlex is really cool. The little app will pick back up where you left off, but it doesn't do things like mark watched episodes of a TV show or anything.

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
from what I've read both the Wi-Drive and GoFlex have the ability to have a "pass through" mode. so you'd connect the Wi-Drive/GoFlex to your home network and then connect the iPad to Wi-Drive/GoFlex and have internet access.

Thank you for clearing that up

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Can't speak for the Kingston, but a GoFlex on a current firmware version allows you to connect the goflex internal streaming network to an existing WiFi network with web access. You just tell it the network and provide the credentials and then all requests that don't point to the drive get forwarded to the external network.

Other than the lack of any library management type stuff the GoFlex is really cool. The little app will pick back up where you left off, but it doesn't do things like mark watched episodes of a TV show or anything.

Thanks, I couldn't find any info on this one or the Kingston. Glad to hear you can still use the Internet when connected to one of these.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Also check out the AirStash. Slightly different concept but same results. It uss removable memory cards. For me, I like this as I can just load up several with different categories of media. It also supports SideLink, allowing simultaneous connection to WiFi signal. Also, since its WebDAV compliant, it serves double duty as a means of xferring pics from your digital camera to your iDevices, and it works with any other device that can see a WebDAV repository....like my Smart TV.

Good support too, serviced by Memorex here in USA.

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.