Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Just to add for those that say Snow Leopard's Exposé is back in Mountain Lion: It is not. I have ungrouped windows on my Mac Pro, but that's only partially there.

• There is no Dock Exposé
  • Minimised windows do not show in Mission Control

Until the 2 previous issues are fixed, I will still prefer Snow Leopard's Exposé over Mountain Lion's Mission Control.

If we were to talk about Spaces…
don't get me started on that.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Just to add for those that say Snow Leopard's Exposé is back in Mountain Lion: It is not. I have ungrouped windows on my Mac Pro, but that's only partially there.

[*]There is no Dock Exposé

It's now a part of Mission Control (i.e. they combined Spaces and Expose into "Mission Control". You now get two for one action, which I happen to like. I do think they should offer an option setting for this, though, but as most of us know, Apple doesn't like giving options. There IS a dock icon for Mission Control, so knowing it's combined, this renders your point moot except to say you wish they weren't grouped together.

[*]Minimised windows do not show in Mission Control

But they do show on the dock where you minimized them to. In other words, they were minimized for a reason and they are not "stacked" over top of each other on the main screen, which was the entire reason for Expose in the first place, IMO. It unclutters piles of windows. If the windows aren't cluttered because they are docked/minimized, why show them? You don't remember minimizing them? I understand why you'd want it to show everything possible, but by the same token, should it create windows for every CLI/SHELL process too? That's Activity Manager's job. I think Apple simply took the core function of Expose and made it declutter open windows, not docked ones (which would only ADD more windows to show at once. They figure if you docked them, that's where you want them. Technically, that's not about clutter any more and therefore doesn't need decluttered.

Until the 2 previous issues are fixed, I will still prefer Snow Leopard's Exposé over Mountain Lion's Mission Control.

And I liked having Rosetta, but time moves on. I found Windows versions of the games that would no longer run (which teaches me to always buy games on places like Steam that give you BOTH Mac and Windows versions of games OR to buy only the Windows version when given a choice, since I can always run that in something like VMWare in the future whereas Apple has proven they don't care if you can run old software. Frankly, VMWare even runs Windows98 perfectly, even (albeit minus DirectX 3D accleration, which isn't needed for most games with powerful CPUs to do software rendering for those old games which weren't that complex). Sadly, you cannot run older Mac operating systems in VMWare and you can thank Apple for that too. :mad:

If we were to talk about Spaces…
don't get me started on that.

Again, I don't see a problem. Unless you used like 12 spaces, the combined Mission Control function for spaces is more than adequate for 4-6 screens and I can create/remove additional spaces on the fly (rather than having to adjust preferences) and every OSX8 aware application can create its own full screen space with a click on the upper right corner arrows button. I think it's pretty spiffy (and I didn't think I would like it before I got my new computer that forced Mission Control one me).

Now LaunchPad...that I don't really care for, but if it were more easily configured, I can see some good uses for it (it's really more or less a dock alternative, looking like the iOS pages, which means you could configure it only for gaming or some other app type and not have to clutter the main dock with it or folders for it).

My biggest complaint about OSX in general is its sloppy handling of multiple monitors. This is nothing new, though. It has always sucked. What I don't understand is why Apple doesn't DO SOMETHING about it. They could either offer pop-up dock/menus when you move the arrow to the top or offer additional fixed ones. It gets utterly ridiculous when you have 4 monitors to have to move the pointer across multiple monitor screens just to get to the overhead menu or a dock menu. This could be so EASILY fixed, it's RIDICULOUS that it hasn't been addressed yet and I'd encourage people to let Apple know we want a fix/solution for multiple monitors.

Microsoft simply never had that problem with multiple monitors because their menus are attached to the windows, not the top of the screen. Linux, likewise, is more or less configurable to any possible configuration you can imagine (and if not, someone will probably create one).

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
It's now a part of Mission Control (i.e. they combined Spaces and Expose into "Mission Control". You now get two for one action, which I happen to like. I do think they should offer an option setting for this, though, but as most of us know, Apple doesn't like giving options. There IS a dock icon for Mission Control, so knowing it's combined, this renders your point moot except to say you wish they weren't grouped together.

But they do show on the dock where you minimized them to. In other words, they were minimized for a reason and they are not "stacked" over top of each other on the main screen, which was the entire reason for Expose in the first place, IMO. It unclutters piles of windows. If the windows aren't cluttered because they are docked/minimized, why show them? You don't remember minimizing them? I understand why you'd want it to show everything possible, but by the same token, should it create windows for every CLI/SHELL process too? That's Activity Manager's job. I think Apple simply took the core function of Expose and made it declutter open windows, not docked ones (which would only ADD more windows to show at once. They figure if you docked them, that's where you want them. Technically, that's not about clutter any more and therefore doesn't need decluttered.

And I liked having Rosetta, but time moves on. I found Windows versions of the games that would no longer run (which teaches me to always buy games on places like Steam that give you BOTH Mac and Windows versions of games OR to buy only the Windows version when given a choice, since I can always run that in something like VMWare in the future whereas Apple has proven they don't care if you can run old software. Frankly, VMWare even runs Windows98 perfectly, even (albeit minus DirectX 3D accleration, which isn't needed for most games with powerful CPUs to do software rendering for those old games which weren't that complex). Sadly, you cannot run older Mac operating systems in VMWare and you can thank Apple for that too. :mad:

Again, I don't see a problem. Unless you used like 12 spaces, the combined Mission Control function for spaces is more than adequate for 4-6 screens and I can create/remove additional spaces on the fly (rather than having to adjust preferences) and every OSX8 aware application can create its own full screen space with a click on the upper right corner arrows button. I think it's pretty spiffy (and I didn't think I would like it before I got my new computer that forced Mission Control one me).

Now LaunchPad...that I don't really care for, but if it were more easily configured, I can see some good uses for it (it's really more or less a dock alternative, looking like the iOS pages, which means you could configure it only for gaming or some other app type and not have to clutter the main dock with it or folders for it).

My biggest complaint about OSX in general is its sloppy handling of multiple monitors. This is nothing new, though. It has always sucked. What I don't understand is why Apple doesn't DO SOMETHING about it. They could either offer pop-up dock/menus when you move the arrow to the top or offer additional fixed ones. It gets utterly ridiculous when you have 4 monitors to have to move the pointer across multiple monitor screens just to get to the overhead menu or a dock menu. This could be so EASILY fixed, it's RIDICULOUS that it hasn't been addressed yet and I'd encourage people to let Apple know we want a fix/solution for multiple monitors.

Microsoft simply never had that problem with multiple monitors because their menus are attached to the windows, not the top of the screen. Linux, likewise, is more or less configurable to any possible configuration you can imagine (and if not, someone will probably create one).

Dock Expose is not having a Dock icon. It's when you click and hold an icon and it does an app exposé for that app. True, I can still use app exposé, but this way is shorter.

I don't minimize the icons into the dock. I minimize them into the app icons. Makes it a lot less cluttered. By doing a normal exposé I would be able see minimized icons.

As for spaces, use a 3x3 grid or a 4x4 grid, depending on what I'm doing right now on the computer.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Dock Expose is not having a Dock icon. It's when you click and hold an icon and it does an app exposé for that app. True, I can still use app exposé, but this way is shorter.

Missed this reply somehow...

Yeah, I see no reason why they shouldn't activate the application window expose when you hold the dock icon down. A menu list isn't as useful if its name isn't obvious. However, just moving the pointer slightly to the right and selecting "Show All Windows" does the same thing you're asking for (App Expose), so I don't think it's quite the PITA that you're making it out to be, but could be tweaked or an option to do it automatically (although some might not want the screen graphically changing every time they hold an icon if they just wanted another option so I can see why it might need to at least default to not doing it unless you select show all windows (takes all of a fraction of a second more with a mouse, at least). I just tried minimize into applications and the expose there shows smaller windows at the bottom for minimized windows and larger ones at the top for ones not minimized, but they are at least visible.

In any case, it's a shame Apple doesn't listen to feedback very often (unless a LOT of people basically spam the heck out of them with complaints). It'd be nice if they had a forum where a developer or two basically kept an eye on things and corresponded back. Their current system of having forums with literally NO ONE from Apple (other than moderators to remove language, etc.) is kind of horrible. If small scale companies can manage to interact on their own sites, certainly the richest company in the known Universe should be able to.

Last edited:

cincygolfgrrl

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
Somewhere In Time
It's most likely 10.6.6 or above as that's when the Mac App Store came to fruition.

I picked up my disk yesterday at my local Apple Store. It's 10.6.3.

My reason for getting SL is that in addition to an MBA-11 with ML, I also have a 1st Generation MacMini with 1GB or RAM. It came with Lion installed and I never upgraded it. Now I need to upgrade.

Does anyone remember issues that might have occurred when you upgraded from 10.5 to 10.6? Thanks.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

How is clicking and holding an icon shorter than Mouse 4 (which is what I have it binded to) ? :confused:

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Does anyone remember issues that might have occurred when you upgraded from 10.5 to 10.6? Thanks.

10.5 -> Backup -> Fresh install 10.6.3 -> Update to 10.6.8...

A big guarantee it will be no problem... In fact you may find some of your problems on 10.5.x resolved in 10.6.8... :p:p:D

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
How is clicking and holding an icon shorter than Mouse 4 (which is what I have it binded to) ? :confused:

Gee, I dunno...maybe some people use Mouse 4 for something else (e.g. I use Mouse 4 and 5 for ZOOM to adjust web pages instantly to a size I like if they default too small or too large). Plus some people may not have Mice with 4 or 5 buttons to begin with. I'm sure you don't think everyone likes things exactly like you, after all. Oh wait. I forgot whom I am talking to. :rolleyes:

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010

Mouse 4? As in a 4 button mouse? I definitely do not have one of those.

It is also shorter when you want to click and hold on another app.

And if yu prefer pressing ping it differently, your choice, I'm just saying they had a perfectly good way of doing something. At least keeping an option to turn it on would have been good. Even in Snow Leopard you had an option to turn it off.

1934hotrod

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock
Snow leopard is staying on my machines. This lion thing seems to just annoy the user instead of assisting. I've heard folks rave about all the app updates and notices from the different social media resources, to me that is a huge invasion.

Hell cell phones are the greatest invasion, now they have turned the desk top into another irritant . No thanks Apple & ML, I refuse to allow outside sources to manage my life or time, one must PAY me $$$$$ for that privilege.

Just the way I roll:cool:

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I have a MBP (Early 2011) refurb. It shipped with Lion although I was hoping it would have shipped with SL. If I bought a copy of SL from the Apple online store could I install it on my Mac as a downgrade? i think my big concern is that my apps are all updated so they may be new enough that that won't support SL. I have not upgraded to ML so I'm still on Lion. Many people still say that SL is the best OSX Apple has done so far. I had SL on my previous Macbook (black) but when I got my new MBP I transferred everything from my bootable SL backup and wrote over it with a Lion backup. In any event would a downgrade be doable?

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I have a MBP (Early 2011) refurb. It shipped with Lion although I was hoping it would have shipped with SL. If I bought a copy of SL from the Apple online store could I install it on my Mac as a downgrade? i think my big concern is that my apps are all updated so they may be new enough that that won't support SL. I have not upgraded to ML so I'm still on Lion. Many people still say that SL is the best OSX Apple has done so far. I had SL on my previous Macbook (black) but when I got my new MBP I transferred everything from my bootable SL backup and wrote over it with a Lion backup. In any event would a downgrade be doable?

MacBookPro8,1 or 8,2 or 8,3 can run off of Snow Leopard, but not from the "retail" Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD versions sold by Apple.

That is because the retail version currently sold is 10.6.3 and your Mac requires 10.6.6 to boot.

Here are your choices:

Install Snow Leopard onto an external hard drive connected to a Mac that will boot from the retail version. Use Software Upgrade to bring it up to date, including 10.6.8. Clone it and move the clone over to your MBP.

Call 800-MY-APPLE (have model and serial number readyO and see if they will provide the Snow Leopard Restore DVD for your model. If they will, it will cost about $17.

Search the internet for the method to create a modified retail Install DVD to 10.6.7 and use this modified version.

CarlSGutekunst

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Northern California
MacBookPro8,1 or 8,2 or 8,3 can run off of Snow Leopard, but not from the "retail" Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD versions sold by Apple....

Call 800-MY-APPLE (have model and serial number ready) and see if they will provide the Snow Leopard Restore DVD for your model. If they will, it will cost about $17.

I believe the Restore DVD for these machine is Lion, not Snow Leopard. I called both 800-MY-APPLE and the local Genius Bar, and was told that a Snow Leopard restore DVD was not available for my hardware.

There was a detailed discussion on this topic here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1275346/

My solution was to purchase a 10.6.3 DVD, acquire a 10.6.7 image from a trustworthy friend, install from the 10.6.7 image, and then apply the patch to 10.6.8. There are important details; you should read the above thread.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I am glad to see you followed my instructions perfectly and followed my third suggested solution:

Search the internet for the method to create a modified retail Install DVD to 10.6.7 and use this modified version.

Only, in your case, the internet was your trustworthy friend!

Unfortunately, the advice given to you by Apple, was incorrect (these Macs did ship with Lion after Lion was released, but they were originally shipped with SL and their original firmware stills supports Snow Leopard as you have discovered) and the thread you link is way out of date. But your success in the end is all that matters.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Man... I so want Snow Leopard back...
The only thing that holds me to Mountain Lion is iCloud and AirPlay Video Mirroring.

apapoo

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2013
Update not working

Hey guys this is my first post and kind stuck.

so i bought a imac the other day and it had no operating system on it. bought snow leopard as i was told that would be my start off now when i put the disk in it doesnt recognize where the hard drive is?

no clue what to do from here can anyone help?

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country

so i bought a imac the other day and it had no operating system on it. bought snow leopard as i was told that would be my start off now when i put the disk in it doesnt recognize where the hard drive is?

You sure it has a hard drive? It's not unknown for previous owner to remove it before selling.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Man... I so want Snow Leopard back...
The only thing that holds me to Mountain Lion is iCloud and AirPlay Video Mirroring.

I'm on Snow Leopard but I would love to get Messages protocol to work on iChat in SL. Beyond that, nothing seems worthy on ML...

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England

There should be a bootdisk with 'Disk Utility' on it. Check what is installed in the iMac on the left hand column. There should be a hard drive name (mine is '750.16 GB WDC WD7500...') and underneath a list of partitions if there are any.

Hopefully, there will be a hard disk inside the iMac. Right click the Hard Drive (mine is '750.16 GB WDC WD7500...') in the left hand column and choose 'Partition'. Set it up to one large partition and make sure the format is 'Mac OS Journaled'.

When you come back to installing the OS, the install CD should recognise this new partition as being compatible with OS X and will allow you to install it there.

Good luck!!! :) :) :)

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
As others have stated, put the latest drivers into SL, and I would then buy future Macs, rather than go Linux, once my current Mac dies.

LOL

If you're heading to Linux, good luck.

Been there, been employed looking after it since 1996, dislike.

Never mind the vast amount of horrible broken or just plain nasty PC hardware out there.

Put $40 of RAM in your machine, turn off versions if you're totally and utterly against having your work backed up and move on.

Or migrate to Windows XP or something...

Last edited:

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
LOL

If you're heading to Linux, good luck.

Been there, been employed looking after it since 1996, dislike.

Never mind the vast amount of horrible broken or just plain nasty PC hardware out there.

Put $40 of RAM in your machine, turn off versions if you're totally and utterly against having your work backed up and move on.

Or migrate to Windows XP or something...

First, there's no need to insult me by mentioning Windows. :)

I have been using Ubuntu on a Dell laptop for a couple of years now, and, since I don't game, it does what I need without fuss.

As for backups, I both clone my HD, and incrementally back up my data - twice. I don't want versions because I do many text searches through my data files, and want one copy only, containing the latest updates. This is also the reason why I don't want to lose "save as ...".

I just don't see the point in moving from a system that suits my needs, to one that doesn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.