Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:19 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Hackulous Shuts Down, Taking Down Popular Pirated App Source Installous

As noted by iDownloadBlog, popular iOS pirated app community Hackulous has announced that it is shutting down, taking down the Installous jailbreak tool used to install pirated apps on iOS devices. A statement from Hackulous reads:
Quote:
We are very sad to announce that Hackulous is shutting down. After many years, our community has become stagnant and our forums are a bit of a ghost town. It has become difficult to keep them online and well-moderated, despite the devotion of our staff. We're incredibly thankful for the support we've had over the years and hope that new, greater communities blossom out of our absence.
As iDownloadBlog observes, it is almost certain that other piracy tools, both existing and new, will rise in prominence to fill the void left by the removal of Installous, as there is certainly no shortage of users seeking to cheat developers out of their app fees.

Piracy is a major problem for many iOS app developers, and there have been several instances of piracy forcing developers to remove their apps from the App Store. One such case earlier this month saw Hunted Cow shut down its multiplayer title Battle Dungeon after piracy rates of roughly 90% made it impossible to handle the game's server load based on the revenue generated through legitimate sales.

Article Link: Hackulous Shuts Down, Taking Down Popular Pirated App Source Installous
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:19 AM   #2
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Admin Note: MacRumors does not permit discussion of specific instructions for obtaining cracked and/or pirated apps. Posts asking for or sharing information on ways to install pirated apps will be deleted.

General discussion of piracy and the role of Hackulous/Installous in it is of course allowed.
WildCowboy is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:22 AM   #3
dlewis23
macrumors 6502a

Good. The rest need to go with them and hopefully in iOS7 there will be some improvements to help stop pirated apps.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Icculus
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Icculus Send a message via MSN to Icculus Send a message via Yahoo to Icculus
Hackulous...you will not be missed.

Pay the developers for the apps you use.
Icculus is offline   69 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:22 AM   #5
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020

Sounds like a good thing, but no doubt they are just pirating from elsewhere instead.
Kissaragi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:22 AM   #6
yakapo
macrumors regular

Bye.
yakapo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:22 AM   #7
drakestan
macrumors regular

It won't make a jailbreak come any faster.
drakestan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:23 AM   #8
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

Good riddance. Jailbreaking shouldn't be about pirating.
GeekLawyer is offline   68 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:24 AM   #9
blueroom
macrumors 603

I never understood the kiddies who could afford an iPhone but couldn't afford $1 apps. Guess they'll flock to Android and crush that platforms app programmers.

Good news for developers.
blueroom is offline   45 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:25 AM   #10
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

Excellent news! Hopefully others will follow suit, rather than attempting to "fill the void".
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:25 AM   #11
alphaod
macrumors Core

Never used Hackulous, so it won't be missed.

However, I do wish some developers kept their apps more up-to-date than they do now.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:25 AM   #12
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

At long last.

But I'm pretty sure someone else would come up with something similar sooner or later.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:27 AM   #13
nfl46
macrumors 601

The days of jailbreaking are coming to an end. By iOS 8, we probably won't even have a jailbreak anymore. We'll be lucky if we get iOS 6 jailbreak.
nfl46 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:29 AM   #14
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
The days of jailbreaking are coming to an end. By iOS 8, we probably won't even have a jailbreak anymore. We'll be lucky if we get iOS 6 jailbreak.
Congratulations on being one of the people who equate jailbreaking to cracking apps (or cracking apps to jailbreaking). Android is for you because it's extremely easy to crack apps.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:29 AM   #15
jacobss
macrumors 6502

It has begun.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:29 AM   #16
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
At long last.

But I'm pretty sure someone else would come up with something similar sooner or later.
Nice avatar.

--

Anyway, good riddance.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:30 AM   #17
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Developers the world over rejoice.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:31 AM   #18
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Piracy makes me mad. I'm glad these guys shut down.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:35 AM   #19
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

Great news for developers, specially if you develop games that rely on your own server.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:36 AM   #20
bb426
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlewis23 View Post
Good. The rest need to go with them and hopefully in iOS7 there will be some improvements to help stop pirated apps.
I agree with you, but there's not much more Apple can do other than close other loopholes, which won't necessarily stop apps from being pirated at all; and because the iOS platform is only getting bigger, so is the pirating platform.
bb426 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:42 AM   #21
julescilib
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobss View Post
It has begun.
apple paying big $$$ to erase these guys
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:43 AM   #22
Shadow%20Mac
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Shadow%20Mac
Quote:
Congratulations on being one of the people who equate jailbreaking to cracking apps (or cracking apps to jailbreaking). Android is for you because it's extremely easy to crack apps.
I don't think this person was equating jailbreaking to piracy; per say. Merely that, as iOS advances, the need to jailbreak to add features decreases. When iOS 3 was the current major release, I couldn't imagine using my phone without jailbreaking. No custom wallpapers? No multitasking? It was absurd. Now a days, more and more people jailbreak their phones in order to pirate apps. True, not ALL of them do it, but the percentage is increasing with every major release of iOS. Those users who wanted more flexibility from their phones either became satisfied with later iterations of iOS or moved to Android phones where they could tweak away to their hearts content.

I think then, that after a few more iOS releases, we wont have jailbreaks released as frequently with as ample access. Jailbreaking used to be necessity; now it is merely an option, competing with other platforms, iOS, JBiOS, Android, WP8, etc.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:44 AM   #23
hoits2000
macrumors member

Screw developers, is what the pirateers say.

"Charge a fair price and I'll buy it. My max is $1 for iPhone/iPad games/apps - if higher, I'll pirate it. Blu-ray/DVD max ill pay is 14.99 - if higher I'll pirate it. Once an app I pirate goes on sale for a dollar I buy it. I have purchased more apps than most of you and my DVD/bluray collection is second to none. I'm not paying for any companies mismanagement or poor planning or forecasting. Give me a fair price and I'll buy it."

Says the pirates.

*I in no way condone pirating apps or movies
hoits2000 is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:46 AM   #24
Greg.
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Congratulations on being on the people who infer something on no evidence...
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:46 AM   #25
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

Not that there were many (if any) moral uses for Installous, but the idea of trying an app before you buy it would be a great feature for the App Store. Like a one hour or one day trial period.

Yes, many developers have free versions, but many don't. Just an idea
KylePowers is offline   27 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion