Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:01 AM   #1
MetzoPaino
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Best lock for an iMac?

I'm thinking about purchasing a lock for my iMac and having it tied around the desk that it stands on.

Any suggestions?

I've heard horror stories of cheap locks breaking and then the tumbler is just stuck in the hole, so I'm not adverse to paying for a "premium" brand.

Seems like I could get the Kingston Slim Microsaver lock, which is pretty cheap. It would also work with future laptops/computers, though as I've seen in a recent thread, if a thief was yanking at it to pull it off, because its attached to the display there would be a lot of damage.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/T4334LL/A/kensington-slim-kevlar-microsaver-lock-white

Other option seems to be the Kensington SafeDome, which seems more secure, and wouldn't damage as much because it connects to the stand. However it wouldn't work on anything else, and the gap for the external cables doesn't seem too big and I've got 4 USB, Ethernet and a power cable going through.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H9445LL/A/kensington-safedome-secure-lock-for-imac
MetzoPaino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:13 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The one you suggest in your link is an excellent choice. Kensington really know their stuff and have been in the market for a long time. I would go with one of the higher end products if you are really concerned about theft.
__________________
..That's All Folks
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Locksmth
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
The Kensington locks are probably among the best. Just so you know, I can defeat one in under a minute with my leather an tool. And yes, I have done at least 50 (professionally, not stealing them).
Locksmth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Arman
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locksmth View Post
The Kensington locks are probably among the best. Just so you know, I can defeat one in under a minute with my leather an tool. And yes, I have done at least 50 (professionally, not stealing them).
That statement seems contradictory.
__________________
Late 2012 27" iMac 3.4Ghz, 32GB, 1TB fusion, 675MX
Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro, 2.2Ghz, 16GB, 250GB SSD
iPhone 5 Black 32GB; iPad 4 Black 32GB
Arman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Locksmth
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arman View Post
That statement seems contradictory.
How so?

The cheap ones fail faster. The Kensington locks are made out of decent quality stainless. The crappy ones are pot metal.
Locksmth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Arman
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locksmth View Post
How so?

The cheap ones fail faster. The Kensington locks are made out of decent quality stainless. The crappy ones are pot metal.
I guess, I misunderstood. I thought your reference to the lock being easily broken was in regard to the kensington lock.
__________________
Late 2012 27" iMac 3.4Ghz, 32GB, 1TB fusion, 675MX
Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro, 2.2Ghz, 16GB, 250GB SSD
iPhone 5 Black 32GB; iPad 4 Black 32GB
Arman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:20 AM   #7
Locksmth
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arman View Post
I guess, I misunderstood. I thought your reference to the lock being easily broken was in regard to the kensington lock.
No, you got it right. I can defeat a Kensington lock in under a minute with a leatherman tool. The cheaper ones are faster.
Locksmth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:22 AM   #8
Arman
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locksmth View Post
No, you got it right. I can defeat a Kensington lock in under a minute with a leatherman tool. The cheaper ones are faster.
Seems like nothing is really theft proof. Probably a good idea to have some good insurance although I'm assuming most thefts are not done by skilled locksman.
__________________
Late 2012 27" iMac 3.4Ghz, 32GB, 1TB fusion, 675MX
Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro, 2.2Ghz, 16GB, 250GB SSD
iPhone 5 Black 32GB; iPad 4 Black 32GB
Arman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:48 AM   #9
Tri-stan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Put a bike chain through the stand! Wire locks are weaker than a thick chain and can be easily cut through. The small wires in a wire lock can be cut through even with a pair of pliers. Thick dense heavy duty chains are very hard to cut through. Lots of experience from potential bicycle thieves.

If you are going away for a while I would use this method.
__________________
Haswell or Broardwell MBP? iGPU!
Tri-stan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:39 PM   #10
Coffee Minutes
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012


I've never really heard of someone chaining their desktop at home, nor have I ever seen it. It sure makes the whole "experience" of owning an iMac less appealing if you need to chain it to a desk with a big ugly, bulky chain.

Is this because you live in a bad neighborhood?

Perhaps you could invest in Renters Insurance, which would cover a break-in?

Sad that one needs such security (I'm blaming society here). The iMac looks much nicer sitting alone on a desk untethered.
__________________
2012 13" MBA 1.8GHz i5, 8GB, 256GB SSD
iPhone 5 32GB
Coffee Minutes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:48 PM   #11
Acorn
macrumors 68020
 
Acorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fangorn Forest
putting a chain through the stand is useless if they can just take the stand off. so it looks like hell plus it doesnt help.
__________________
A Mac.
Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:05 PM   #12
Arman
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal
Ok, I think I'm just gonna slap a GPS tracker underneath the stand. Put a Apple logo on it so it looks OEM. Something like this here and conceal in something like this here
__________________
Late 2012 27" iMac 3.4Ghz, 32GB, 1TB fusion, 675MX
Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro, 2.2Ghz, 16GB, 250GB SSD
iPhone 5 Black 32GB; iPad 4 Black 32GB
Arman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 04:29 AM   #13
MetzoPaino
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Minutes View Post


I've never really heard of someone chaining their desktop at home, nor have I ever seen it. It sure makes the whole "experience" of owning an iMac less appealing if you need to chain it to a desk with a big ugly, bulky chain.

Is this because you live in a bad neighborhood?

Perhaps you could invest in Renters Insurance, which would cover a break-in?

Sad that one needs such security (I'm blaming society here). The iMac looks much nicer sitting alone on a desk untethered.

That's why I'm looking at the locks in my original post, because they look fine and could fit through the stand hole so I never see it. I don't want a gigantic bike chain because it would look horrible.

Mostly for peace of mind too. Obviously if professional criminals break in nothing stands a chance, but if an alarm is wailing hopefully a kensington lock offers enough resistance that a petty crook goes for other things.
MetzoPaino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 04:42 AM   #14
Lancer
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
putting a chain through the stand is useless if they can just take the stand off. so it looks like hell plus it doesnt help.
I guess this is one good point for the new iMac, since it's harder to remove the stand, no VESA mount. I guess anything chaining the iMac to your desk is a deterrent to theft, be it professional or a crime of opportunity. I'm be using a wire chain with lock through the hole in the leg.

ETA - for my desk you won't even see the top of the stand or lock.

Last edited by Lancer; Jan 1, 2013 at 04:50 AM.
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:49 AM   #15
Tri-stan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
I guess this is one good point for the new iMac, since it's harder to remove the stand, no VESA mount. I guess anything chaining the iMac to your desk is a deterrent to theft, be it professional or a crime of opportunity. I'm be using a wire chain with lock through the hole in the leg.

ETA - for my desk you won't even see the top of the stand or lock.
I will be doing something like this. But when I go away for a few days I will be using the bike chain. They are going to have to rip the stand of the back if they want the iMac.
__________________
Haswell or Broardwell MBP? iGPU!
Tri-stan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:02 AM   #16
Rover110
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-stan View Post
I will be doing something like this. But when I go away for a few days I will be using the bike chain. They are going to have to rip the stand of the back if they want the iMac.
Remember that a push-bike chain can be easily (and quietly) undone at any link with a standard bike-chain tool. It is normal to take out a link or two from a new chain to adjust its length for your frame.

- Rover
Rover110 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 01:35 PM   #17
Tri-stan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover110 View Post
Remember that a push-bike chain can be easily (and quietly) undone at any link with a standard bike-chain tool. It is normal to take out a link or two from a new chain to adjust its length for your frame.

- Rover
No I am currently using an armored cable lock which I usually use on my bicycle but am thinking of upgrading to one of these. You need a gas torch or angle grinder to get through one of these bad boys quickly. I don't want to be coming home after being out for a few days to find my stuff is gone so I choose to use my bike lock and attach it to my metal desk to keep things secure.


__________________
Haswell or Broardwell MBP? iGPU!
Tri-stan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 01:44 PM   #18
spork183
macrumors 6502a
 
spork183's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arman View Post
Ok, I think I'm just gonna slap a GPS tracker underneath the stand. Put a Apple logo on it so it looks OEM. Something like this here and conceal in something like this here
Doesn't hurt to cover all bases and install something like this that lets you lock the computer remotely, while also taking pictures and sending tracking data in the event of theft. Get lucky and the crook will access their banking info from your machine, then you can just charge the new computer to their account...
http://preyproject.com/
__________________
"I'll buy almost anything if it's shiny and made by Apple..."
-Macbook Wheel Ad
spork183 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 01:56 PM   #19
Arman
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal
Forget the GPS thing. Changed my mind. Gonna use this intead.

http://images.travelpod.com/tripwow/...02aw-20110.jpg
__________________
Late 2012 27" iMac 3.4Ghz, 32GB, 1TB fusion, 675MX
Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro, 2.2Ghz, 16GB, 250GB SSD
iPhone 5 Black 32GB; iPad 4 Black 32GB
Arman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 02:00 PM   #20
spork183
macrumors 6502a
 
spork183's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arman View Post
Forget the GPS thing. Changed my mind. Gonna use this intead.

[GIMG]http://images.travelpod.com/tripwow/photos/ta-0113-983c-5cea/big-lock-in-chtarpur-mandir-new-delhi-india+1152_13000969581-tpfil02aw-20110.jpg[/GIMG]
If you're worried about theft, do both. Prey Project only helps if they access from your computer. If I was stealing an iMac, I'd immediately yank the drive and install a new one before booting.
__________________
"I'll buy almost anything if it's shiny and made by Apple..."
-Macbook Wheel Ad
spork183 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mid 2011 MacBook Air EFI Lock and iCloud lock ahwhite83 MacBook Air 3 Nov 2, 2013 07:35 PM
2012/2013 imac kensington lock Acorn iMac 3 Dec 31, 2012 12:40 PM
iMac caps lock issues jaymzuk OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 0 Dec 11, 2012 02:35 PM
Lock For iMac - Kensington vs Bike Lock BunnyBusiness iMac 0 Dec 6, 2012 07:11 PM
Looking for Assistive Tech to announce pressing Caps Lock, Scroll Lock, Num Lock macropanther Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Jun 18, 2012 11:56 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC