Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:50 AM   #1
Andeavor
macrumors 6502

Want to end the gun control debate? Legalize drugs

I think it is safely to say that about 60% of all gun-related crimes are related to drugs. Whether you need to protect your goods, extort people for money to pay for drugs or keep them safe. Once the market is legalized and regulated there is no need for anyone to commit a crime, in fact you create a whole new market, solid jobs, pensions, etc., etc.

Sometimes, it's easier to just grab the bull by its balls than waving a red flag and dodging every attack. Crime doesn't just "happen", so the only solution to lower it is to tackle its root problem and one of crime's roots is the drug trade on an international scale. Too many innocent people have lost their lives and governments are urinating money in the wind by harboring petty criminals or fighting a lost battle over and over and over again.

I know, we can argue just how bad drugs can be and what they can do to you, but let's face it, there are millions of "law-abiding" civilians taking them on a daily or weekly basis. So why dance around the tree and pretend you live in a world where this doesn't happen? It does, even in your neighborhood! I believe as long as we educate ourselves properly on drugs, their effects and if government taxed the trade to fund medical professionals to provide help and treatment in relation to drugs, I think we can manage. We should be that intelligent a people.

Do all this and you will see a decrease in gun-related crime. Do I have statistics to back this claim up? No, but my spidey-sense can tell there will be a shift and many, many lives will be spared. But as long as you don't make it happen you'll never know whether it'll work or not - oh, wait, prohibition!

What are your thoughts?
Andeavor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:09 AM   #2
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroony View Post
Do all this and you will see a decrease in gun-related crime. Do I have statistics to back this claim up? No, but my spidey-sense can tell there will be a shift and many, many lives will be spared. But as long as you don't make it happen you'll never know whether it'll work or not - oh, wait, prohibition!
I'm not going to argue against a decrease in drug-related gun crime. However, as sourced in a previous thread on gun violence, drug trade related homicide makes up ~2-5% of all gun-related homicides. So while it's likely those numbers will go down, it won't have a great impact overall.

Plus this subject is not connected to random mass shootings which do more to spur gun debate than drug crime. I'm going to agree with most of what you've said but disagree with your premise. Legalizing drugs IMO will do little to end the gun debate.
citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

I think legalising drugs will have a big impact on overall crime.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues