Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:16 PM   #1
LeeM
macrumors 6502a

Got a free iPad ;)

Ordered online from a reseller that claimed they had stock, email came through saying delivery 3-5 days after the 5th of jan.
Called up and cancelled the order and the money has been refunded, then the iPad showed up this morning.
I'm expecting the money to come back out when systems and banks catch up with each other after the bank holidays this week, but for now it's a free iPad!
LeeM is offline   2
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:23 PM   #2
nStyle
macrumors 6502a

How about that free conscience? Heard those were pretty nice too.
nStyle is offline   9
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Oridus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nStyle View Post
How about that free conscience? Heard those were pretty nice too.
Not in our current world of greed, unfortunately
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:26 PM   #4
kodeman53
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oridus View Post
Not in our current world of greed, unfortunately
You can't socialize individual character faults. Individuals are responsible for their own behavior.
kodeman53 is offline   2
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:39 PM   #5
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeman53 View Post
You can't socialize individual character faults. Individuals are responsible for their own behavior.
True, but when you live in a society that almost glorifies greed you can socialize it to a degree. Like welfare, in all its various forms, used to be a shameful thing to take. But now it's not a big deal at all to be on some form of government assistance.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:41 PM   #6
0dev
macrumors 68040

Lucky man, they probably will catch up and charge you soon though.
0dev is offline   5
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:53 PM   #7
LeeM
macrumors 6502a

The money is there waiting, I'm expecting it to come out by the end of the week. But I cancelled the order, told them I didn't want it and they sent it. If they don't want my money or want to give stuff away who am I to complain.
If they don't take the money ill buy my mum one
LeeM is offline   1
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:57 PM   #8
xkmxkmxlmx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeM View Post
The money is there waiting, I'm expecting it to come out by the end of the week. But I cancelled the order, told them I didn't want it and they sent it. If they don't want my money or want to give stuff away who am I to complain.
Or you could call them and clear it up. You are stealing. How would you feel if someone robbed you 'mum'?
xkmxkmxlmx is offline   6
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:26 PM   #9
LeeM
macrumors 6502a

Not theft, they've just mistakenly given me a very good discount...
LeeM is offline   5
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:30 PM   #10
palmerc2
macrumors 65816

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit."

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/77226/thum...REET-large.jpg
palmerc2 is offline   2
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:34 PM   #11
webslinger85
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Not technically theft, no. But extremely dishonest
webslinger85 is offline   1
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:00 PM   #12
kodeman53
Banned

Quote:
Rationalization at its finest.
kodeman53 is offline   2
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:04 PM   #13
AppleRobert
macrumors 68030

I assume you aren't the first person this has happened with. Some places have better checks and balances in place.

Be careful though. Obviously you have a leg to stand on with this transaction but I also assume it could possibly end up biting you in the foot. Food for thought, stranger things have happened and sometimes clearing these up end up getting ridiculous and time consuming even though it wasn't one's own doing.
AppleRobert is offline   0
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:10 PM   #14
kodeman53
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleman View Post
True, but when you live in a society that almost glorifies greed you can socialize it to a degree. Like welfare, in all its various forms, used to be a shameful thing to take. But now it's not a big deal at all to be on some form of government assistance.
Public shame was the logical result of a shared sense of what was right and what was wrong. As this thread shows, right and wrong have been replaced with the simple questions of, "Will I get caught?" and "How do I rationalize it?"

"Here's an iPad for you, Mum"
"Why thank you son. Aren't these expensive?"
"This one wasn't, I stole it."
kodeman53 is offline   2
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:31 PM   #15
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
You cancelled the order so you should send back the iPad. You indicated that you no longer wanted to do buisness with that company. They were honorable and refunded your money. You are being dishonorable by not refunding or returning the iPad. If you contact them, explain the situation and they still say "keep the money and the cash" then you are in the clear. If you do not do that or just simply send the iPad back then you are nothing but a common crook. Disgusting, revolting, cheap.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:57 PM   #16
0dev
macrumors 68040

AFAIK if something gets sent to you by accident and the company doesn't contact you about it after three months it's legally yours anyway.

I wish all the holier than thou moral circlejerkers ITT would calm down, if some company sent you a $400 piece of tech for free by mistake there's no way you'd send it back and there's no reason you should either. It's their mistake, not yours, you have no responsibility to fix a company's mistakes.
0dev is offline   2
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:01 PM   #17
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleman View Post
You cancelled the order so you should send back the iPad. You indicated that you no longer wanted to do buisness with that company. They were honorable and refunded your money. You are being dishonorable by not refunding or returning the iPad. If you contact them, explain the situation and they still say "keep the money and the cash" then you are in the clear. If you do not do that or just simply send the iPad back then you are nothing but a common crook. Disgusting, revolting, cheap.
Well said. @OP, technically it's stealing. They refunded you, shipped you an iPad by mistake, you should do the honorable thing and return it...
Squilly is offline   4
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:33 PM   #18
Rodster
macrumors 68030

I was in a similar situation. I bought something from Amazon, I sent it back cause I got a better deal. UPS came by to pick it up and since I wasn't home Amazon immediately refunded my money but the product was still with me.

I was like the OP and thought oh well, let them catch it. But I couldn't do it so I tracked down UPS and sent it back. My conscience got the better of me.
Rodster is offline   1
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:37 PM   #19
LeeM
macrumors 6502a

As expected the money has just left my account. No free iPad for me!
LeeM is offline   0
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:48 PM   #20
mac jones
macrumors 68040

This is a pretty dumb post I must say.

THis coming from a veteran of dumb posts

Good work.
mac jones is offline   0
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:50 PM   #21
Infinitewisdom
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Well this was a waste of a thread ......
Infinitewisdom is offline   3
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:59 PM   #22
nStyle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev
It's their mistake, not yours, you have no responsibility to fix a company's mistakes.
Yeah... if someone is in pain laying on the ground on the street and you're the only one around, you have no responsibility to call 911, right? This kind of thinking is retarded in my opinion. You must have no morals.
nStyle is offline   1
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:04 PM   #23
xkmxkmxlmx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post
AFAIK if something gets sent to you by accident and the company doesn't contact you about it after three months it's legally yours anyway.

I wish all the holier than thou moral circlejerkers ITT would calm down, if some company sent you a $400 piece of tech for free by mistake there's no way you'd send it back and there's no reason you should either. It's their mistake, not yours, you have no responsibility to fix a company's mistakes.
Right. I would send it back no problem? Sad that you assume everyone is as greedy and ****** as you are. Don't lump us in, please.

And why, honestly, shouldn't you help someone that has made a mistake?

Maybe they're a small company in which $400 could mean a lot to.

Maybe someone was having a bad day and missed it and now their job is in jeopardy.

Maybe they're a pretty good business (I mean, you ordered from them in the first place, after all) and you want to maintain a good relationship with them and continue to do business with them in the future.

Maybe you'e not an entitled prick who thinks the world owes him something.
xkmxkmxlmx is offline   2
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:25 PM   #24
AppleRobert
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Please let us know who the reseller is. Seems they don't know what the heck they are doing and that would avoid someone else using that resource.

Pretty quick turnaround time from your initial post I might add. HHMMM.
AppleRobert is offline   1
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:36 AM   #25
0dev
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by nStyle View Post
Yeah... if someone is in pain laying on the ground on the street and you're the only one around, you have no responsibility to call 911, right? This kind of thinking is retarded in my opinion. You must have no morals.
How is a person who's life is in danger in any way comparable to an iPad? Your analogy makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkmxkmxlmx View Post
Right. I would send it back no problem? Sad that you assume everyone is as greedy and ****** as you are. Don't lump us in, please.

And why, honestly, shouldn't you help someone that has made a mistake?

Maybe they're a small company in which $400 could mean a lot to.

Maybe someone was having a bad day and missed it and now their job is in jeopardy.

Maybe they're a pretty good business (I mean, you ordered from them in the first place, after all) and you want to maintain a good relationship with them and continue to do business with them in the future.

Maybe you'e not an entitled prick who thinks the world owes him something.
If the company makes a mistake it's their fault for making a mistake. If the person who makes the mistake gets fired, it's their fault for making the mistake that got them fired.

Besides, if the company realises they've made the mistake they have the legal right to ask for the goods back. It's only if they don't realise it do you get to keep it.
0dev is offline   1

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland