Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philr5150

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2010
Omaha, NE
I don't want to comment on the moral side of Hackiulous, however I want to point out that jailbreak is always needed to to show Apple that people should be able to install whatever they want on their purchased and owned phone regardless of the type of applications.

Another good reason for jailbreaking is it shows Apple where there are holes in iOS. How many patches have been released, plugging up holes that jailbreaking discovered? Anyone remember the .tiff exploit for example?

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
While using pirated software isn't cool, it is nice to have a source to test applications before you buy them since there are a lot of apps with deceptive descriptions that end up not doing what they portray.

I haven't had a jailbroken iPhone in about 2 years, but trying apps was nice to see if it did what I was looking for. Since then, I've bought around half a dozen apps or more that end up not living up to features' descriptions and go completely unused. After a while that money adds up, especially if they are specialized and niche titles that cost $5 or more.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
the awkward moment when ur boss of a big software company asks u why installous isnt working ^^

---
i understand it in some cases however, im glad i didnt waste any money on that new game from the angry birds devs for example, its horrible. i happily paid for angry birds space tho because its what i expected and enjoyed.

the appstore needs a trial offer just like im able to take back things to the store within two weeks if i dont like it

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
All that piracy talk is kinda BS. in the 80/90ies we copied music and games too. Remember the old AMIGA days. You did purchased your music when you where a fan, otherwise copied a CD from a friend. Nothing changed.

As far as the above posters cheering for this, i find it hard to accept that the iTunes vending machine is our only place to get and test out apps. Ever purchased a 30 buck app that you couldn't return or get your money back because it wasn't what you needed.

I feel it's part of the game. I purchase tons of apps, other I'd rather like to try out before purchasing.

And the whole JAILBREAK think should be a good thing. I buy the phone and I should be in control what I want to install. CYDIA has dope apps you can buy or get for free. One true thing I do envy on the android side. Open source.

The problem of actual piracy using Installous outweighs the benefit of a few of us being able to use it to test out apps. I used it to test out apps, but everyone else I know who has it uses it for ripping apps off.

----------

R.I.P. Hackulous...:(

I think i'll switch to Android now.

We hope.

unr1

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
yea, the people are so bad for pirating. So so bad!

Not companies like EA who release an update for Tetris and make people buy it again. They are innocent!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
yea, the people are so bad for pirating. So so bad!

Not companies like EA who release an update for Tetris and make people buy it again. They are innocent!

oh dont even get me started on EA, they r the worst. i hope they get bankrupt one of these days

they can keep their spyware and clutter

freeskier989

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2007
It's a dog eat dog world. Why not go rob a liquor store?

Why not get a gun and hold up old ladies for their jewelry?

Why not?

Because you're probably the type of criminal that thinks it's cool to steal electronically and that it's somehow different than taking something directly from a person.

It's not, but whatever you think. Hopefully you won't bother calling the cops when the bigger dog comes for you, especially since it's only fair....

Well it is different in case you can't tell. One, im not taking something directly from a person. Im taking it from a depository/server that has all this info on it.

Two, im not hurting a human (i.e. causing injury, physical pain) which i am against. And lets be real, no one is going to come for me, no one is even going to know, because if you do things the smart way, you will take precautions to prevent repercussions.

Piracy is here, it will always be here, its the human way. Finding ways around things will always happen, from downloading a piece of software, to figuring out how to escape over the Berlin wall in Germany. People innately look to figure ways around barriers (or those things that prevent them, in this case high cost of software like Adobe,etc.)

Let me ask you this simple question, would you rather have something for free or have to pay? I rather have free. Im not ashamed to admit id rather have free. Ill take free anytime over not free.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Never used it myself, but there are other similar methods to pirate iOS apps out there already.

What I still don't understand why Apple doesn't implement a time limited refund option like Google does.
Well... actually we do know why. $$$

That way if the app you purchased turns out to be a turd, you can get your money back.

I've used this option with Google before and it works out fine.
A refund option can also motivate devs to produce better quality apps.
I've had one dev contact me asking why I wanted a refund. (I registered the app, so he had my email address)
I explained the issue and he released an updated version that I later purchased.

Pirating an app, regardless of price, is not the answer.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
Bad enough Apple's charging 30% - devs deserve every penny. Good one! !

30% taxed to have your app in the only legitimate iOS market full of buy-happy consumers and protected more than ever from piracy (comparing to Android and Mac OS) is much better than selling your apps on the street corner for 100% revenue. What's easier, going to the App Store and buying apps with little hassle with your iTunes account or going to random dev sites and giving money to PayPal accounts or using your credit card? Pirating an app is way, way easier than buying from random dev sites.

When I buy software for Mac OS, I typically pirate the software once I've paid instead of using the installer they give me because it usually involves some hassle and sometimes a disc you have to put in every time. That is actually legal I think, not that I care. I paid for the software, so I'm going to get it.

----------

Once Apple institutes a decent return policy for crap/non-working apps I will applaud Installous going away.

Yeah, they should allow devs to give out trials. Sometimes, a paid app just won't work.

Last edited:

Detrias

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2011
I find funny that people say they don't pirate, yet they jailbreak their phones to be able to bypass the tethering charges set by their carriers (on att for example thats 20 bucks a month). So its cool to steal money away from the carriers, but god forbid we take 70% of 1-5 dollars away from a developer?

I for one pirate movies and music (I no longer pirate apps purely because the savings don't outweigh the cons) and i know that what i do is wrong, but you don't see me trying to blur the line of whats right or wrong like some people on this forum, blatantly trying to justify their acts and on top of it acting all mighty because they don't do a particular crime, yet they are willing to do a different one. Ohhh and the kicker, they even dare to point their fingers at those who go all the way. Some people just need to get off their high horse and stop being such hypocrites.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
But this one does and they're not using it. Like leaving the fences down and locking your dogs in the house.

So what? That's the developer's choice.

Well it is different in case you can't tell. One, im not taking something directly from a person. Im taking it from a depository/server that has all this info on it.

Two, im not hurting a human (i.e. causing injury, physical pain) which i am against. And lets be real, no one is going to come for me, no one is even going to know, because if you do things the smart way, you will take precautions to prevent repercussions.
Uhm... robbing a liquor star doesn't hurt a human if you don't actually shoot them. Robbing someone's house while they're away doesn't hurt people either. "Not hurting someone" is no reason. It's a lame rationalization.
Let me ask you this simple question, would you rather have something for free or have to pay? I rather have free. Im not ashamed to admit id rather have free. Ill take free anytime over not free.

In many cases I'd rather pay because it encourages the developer to improve the product and make new products. But so what? I'd rather have a bigger house and a new car. That doesn't mean if a car dealer leaves the keys in the ignition that it's ok for me to take it.

Bottom line, you are taking from others against their terms of sale and against copyright laws. Just as if a boss decided not to pay you after you've done work.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State

Let me ask you this less-simple question: would you rather have something for free, knowing that it hurts the economy and eventually you would no longer have any good or services available to you, or have to pay, knowing that it contributes to a healthy economy and helps ensure the availability of updated and even new products?

Also, if you'll take free anytime over not free, would you be willing to work for any of us without any compensation ever?

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
To be honest, I pirate a lot of 80s and 90s Nintendo games since they're not even sold anymore and haven't been for a long time. Way easier than hunting down one to buy.

----------

What if someone robbed your house? They want free stuff too. If you pirate an app, you're robbing the developer and hurting the economy.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Congratulations on being one of the people who equate jailbreaking to cracking apps (or cracking apps to jailbreaking). Android is for you because it's extremely easy to crack apps.

Honestly there's not much other reason to jailbreak anymore. I used to, then everything I used got added to the non jailbroken iOS and I decided to stop pirating apps so there wasn't a reason to keep the jailbreak. Of the people I know who jailbreak 100% also pirate apps, and that's usually their main reason, a few put on hideous themes as well.

Detrias

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2011
Let me ask you this less-simple question: would you rather have something for free, knowing that it hurts the economy and eventually you would no longer have any good or services available to you, or have to pay, knowing that it contributes to a healthy economy and helps ensure the availability of updated and even new products?

Also, if you'll take free anytime over not free, would you be willing to work for any of us without any compensation ever?

Well to be fair, yes you would hurt the economy but not the point of no services being available. Also, i see that you are a developer and me pirating an app does not mean that you wont receive any compensation at all from your work, just means you would receive less. The main dilemma is finding a price point where most people feel is better to just buy it from you, that go thru the hassle of stealing it (if every app was just .99 cents, and movies were like 4.99) way more people would just be willing to outright pay for it, and even tho pirates/thiefs will always exist, they will be a much smaller percentage.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
To be honest, I pirate a lot of 80s and 90s Nintendo games since they're not even sold anymore and haven't been for a long time. Way easier than hunting down one to buy.

----------

What if someone robbed your house? They want free stuff too. If you pirate an app, you're robbing the developer and hurting the economy.

If you can't officially buy something like old games then it's actually legal in some places, including over 40 US States.

And the difference between someone robbing your house and pirating digital content is that you still have the digital content afterwards. If someone stole my TV I have to go buy a new TV whereas if I make software and someone pirates it, 3 seconds later someone may buy it and I still made money; Now I have 2 happy people who will spread my software via word of mouth.

musicmanalex1

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
New York State, USA
I have used it before

I have jail-broken my iPod touch before 1 time and the first source I added to Cydia was Hackulous. Eventually I stopped jailbreaking my device and just kept Apple iOS. Now when I look at it the Piracy is getting worse and worse so it would not be crazy to see many new apps take installous's place.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I find it funny that all these people who never used Installous are applauding that it's shutting down. You may never use Installous but by shutting it down, you're also being affected if you jailbreak for the tweaks in Cydia. If there isn't Installous, it's just another reason for devs to slow down or not even attempt a jailbreak. Right/wrong, Installous became huge in the jailbreaking community and with the scene as it is right now, there's less and less reasons to jailbreak.

This is a huge deal even if it is wrong.

Detrias

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2011
I find it funny that all these people who never used Installous are applauding that it's shutting down. You may never use Installous but by shutting it down, you're also being affected if you jailbreak for the tweaks in Cydia. If there isn't Installous, it's just another reason for devs to slow down or not even attempt a jailbreak. Right/wrong, Installous became huge in the jailbreaking community and with the scene as it is right now, there's less and less reasons to jailbreak.

This is a huge deal even if it is wrong.

Indeed, this also hurts all those who develop and sell their apps thru cydia and prefer to do more with their apps that what the app story guidelines allow them to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.