Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:51 PM   #1
DarthFarley
macrumors newbie

Question Can't back up failing hard drive

I have an imac with a failing hard drive (which Apple will replace as it's covered under their failing hard drive replacement program). But I need to back it up before it is replaced. Utility notes that it is "failing," but it is still functioning. However, when I try to back it up to Time Machine, it only makes it through about 10GB before freezing and requiring a hard reboot, losing all backed up info. Is there some trick to prevent this from happening? Keeping it from freezing? So that I can make a back up before replacing the hard drive? Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
DarthFarley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:53 PM   #2
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthFarley View Post
I have an imac with a failing hard drive (which Apple will replace as it's covered under their failing hard drive replacement program). But I need to back it up before it is replaced. Utility notes that it is "failing," but it is still functioning. However, when I try to back it up to Time Machine, it only makes it through about 10GB before freezing and requiring a hard reboot, losing all backed up info. Is there some trick to prevent this from happening? Keeping it from freezing? So that I can make a back up before replacing the hard drive? Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't use Time Machine at this point. You need to get that data off ASAP before the drive fails. Manually copy/paste data to an external drive (e.g. go into Documents and select all and copy/paste that data).

Also, do NOT let this happen again. Maintain proper backups. What would you do if the drive just failed with no way to give you access to it?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:54 PM   #3
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

You might have to make a simpler back up by copying your important files directly to a drive instead of using time machine. It also sounds like you haven't been keeping your time machine backups up to date!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:01 PM   #4
WesCole
macrumors 6502a

I agree with the others...backup your most important stuff first by copying it to another drive, then do the same for the less important stuff.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:48 PM   #5
ndpitch
macrumors regular

Some people have had success with putting failing hard drives in the freezer for a while and then trying to get the data off. Sounds weird but has worked for people, haha
ndpitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:00 PM   #6
tom vilsack
macrumors 68000

maybe also try using something like superduper to image drive to external drive...but as other have said..i would just manually try copying important files over to external first.

SuperDuperl
tom vilsack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:12 PM   #7
bplein
macrumors 6502

At this point, be PARANOID and grab a couple of different types of copies, if you have the external disks to do so:

1) Drag/drop copies to anything else you have (USB keys, hard drives, NAS share, whatever). Do this for your data. Get it, now!
2) Attempt to make an IMAGE backup of the hard drive (note, this will destroy all data on the external drive!!!):
  • Attach a USB or FW drive of equal or larger capacity, format it with the name "external" or similar
  • Identify the raw device names of your internal (failing) hard drive and the external by running the "mount" command from a terminal.
  • Reboot from the installation media for Mac OS X
  • Open up a terminal, and use "dd" to do a digital, block based copy of your internal hard drive to the external drive

If you aren't comfortable identifying and KNOWING the physical device name of the internal (failing) hard drive vs. the external hard drive, the above could wipe out your internal drive. The mount command should say something like this for your internal drive

/dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)

(which means it's /dev/disk0)

and maybe something like this for your external:

/dev/disk2s2 on /Volumes/external (hfs, local, journaled)

which would be /dev/disk2

If you are copying disk0 to disk2, then you would use:

dd if=/dev/rdisk0 of=/dev/rdisk2 bs=64K

You might need to unmount (but not eject!) both of these disks from Disk Utility first.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:39 PM   #8
DarthFarley
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Maintain proper backups. What would you do if the drive just failed with no way to give you access to it?
Thank you for the answers. And for what it's worth, I am very careful to back up to Time Machine. A couple of months ago, I got an error message that said - paraphrasing - I need to start over with the back ups, if that's okay, I will erase all your old back ups and start over.

But then it was never able to complete a full back up after that time. In retrospect, the error message was probably related to the failing hard drive, but I didn't know that at the time.
DarthFarley is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac