Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mossimo654

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Hi all. For my entire mobile mp3 career, I've always used an ipod classic. I have a lot of music and I enjoyed being able to sync it all and not worry about it.

Anyway I recently inherited an 8 gig ipod touch, which is a real downgrade space wise. Therefore I'm wondering if there's any way to automatically sync ONLY podcasts, and then put music on there manually? That would save me a lot of time. I'm using the most recently updated itunes 11

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
I have a few different iPods, all with different storage capacities. I therefore set up different iTunes playlists for each of my iPods, so that I can just tell each iPod to sync with its corresponding playlist.

mossimo654

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I have a few different iPods, all with different storage capacities. I therefore set up different iTunes playlists for each of my iPods, so that I can just tell each iPod to sync with its corresponding playlist.

But that would still require me manually loading all my podcasts, which I'm already doing anyway.

mossimo654

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
In iTunes, uncheck Sync All Music and keep Podcasts as Sync All. Then, you can manually manage the music.

I'm sorry I feel like an idiot. I can't find these options, where would I find them? Normally I don't have such a hard time, I'm not a luddite ;)

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Notice that there are tabs along the right side of the summary tab for your ipod touch. Among them will be ones for podcast, music, info, books, etc. You can customize these to control what you want to sync. In the podcasts tab, select sync podcasts and which ones. Go through the other tabs to double check that nothing else will sync that you don't want to and then hit the sync button, in the bottom right of the window. After you're done syncing, in the summary tab, select "Manually manage music" and then you can click and drag away. You'll notice that you can also customize the file size of music so you can fit more if you aren't an audiophile and the music in your library is cd quality. Hope that clears it up. Conversely, you can download the podcast app and download episodes right to your ipod through wifi. My favorite part of the podcast app, which admittedly is a bit buggy. It works, does what it supposed to, mostly but is a bit of a blight on Apples reputation. I am disappointed that I can't make playlists of podcasts anymore. The app prevents you from accessing podcasts in music on iOS6, thereby no more playlists. Sorry for being long winded.

Last edited:

mossimo654

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Notice that there are tabs along the right side of the summary tab for your ipod touch. Among them will be ones for podcast, music, info, books, etc. You can customize these to control what you want to sync. In the podcasts tab, select sync podcasts and which ones. Go through the other tabs to double check that nothing else will sync that you don't want to and then hit the sync button, in the bottom right of the window. After you're done syncing, in the summary tab, select "Manually manage music" and then you can click and drag away. You'll notice that you can also customize the file size of music so you can fit more if you aren't an audiophile and the music in your library is cd quality. Hope that clears it up. Conversely, you can download the podcast app and download episodes right to your ipod through wifi. My favorite part of the podcast app, which admittedly is a bit buggy. It works, does what it supposed to, mostly but is a bit of a blight on Apples reputation. I am disappointed that I can't make playlists of podcasts anymore. The app prevents you from accessing podcasts in music on iOS6, thereby no more playlists. Sorry for being long winded.

No worries thanks so much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.