Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:41 AM   #1
Calisi*
macrumors member

Cycling the battery

Hi everyone, just wondering how many cycles it took you for the iPhone battery to improve.. and how much it improved by?

Also would it be a good idea to drain to about 10% and keep charging to full for a few nights?
Calisi* is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:46 AM   #2
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Don't understand your first question. My iPhone battery didn't have any problems from the start.

They say it's best when you charge whenever the battery reaches red (<20%). Also, they say it's best to drain it to 0% and then charge it back to 100% every month (Full cycle once every month).

They say.... Everything up to you though.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:48 AM   #3
Calisi*
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Don't understand your first question. My iPhone battery didn't have any problems from the start.

They say it's best when you charge whenever the battery reaches red (<20%). Also, they say it's best to drain it to 0% and then charge it back to 100% every month (Full cycle once every month).

They say.... Everything up to you though.
People say after a certain amount of full cycles when they first get their iPhone, their battery improves. My iPhone battery is terrible at going down so I'm trying to fully cycle it in hope it improves.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:52 AM   #4
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisi* View Post
People say after a certain amount of full cycles when they first get their iPhone, their battery improves. My iPhone battery is terrible at going down so I'm trying to fully cycle it in hope it improves.
Rubbish the iphone contains the same battery thecnology as the MacBook range. It's ready to use and preconditioned.
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:02 AM   #5
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
Rubbish the iphone contains the same battery thecnology as the MacBook range. It's ready to use and preconditioned.
Lol Calisi, haven't heard anyone saying that in the forums. The battery should be alright when you buy the iPhone. If it isn't, do an iTunes restore or get a replacement if it doesn't help.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:05 AM   #6
Calisi*
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Lol Calisi, haven't heard anyone saying that in the forums. The battery should be alright when you buy the iPhone. If it isn't, do an iTunes restore or get a replacement if it doesn't help.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1517029
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:20 PM   #7
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The gist of that thread is that you should continue using the iPhone and the battery issues (if there are minor ones) should work themselves out in a short time.

If your battery life is truly abysmal, you should make a Genius appointment.
lelisa13p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:19 PM   #8
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

The old wife's tale says... After a "break in" period the battery THEN reaches its full capacity.
Mrbobb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:33 PM   #9
BigMcGuire
macrumors 6502

If anything, the break in period is the USER - getting more used to their phone, using it less because it has less of that "NEW" feeling thus getting more battery life.
BigMcGuire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:26 PM   #10
E2EK1EL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hi everyone, just wondering how many cycles it took you for the iPhone battery to improve.. and how much it improved by?

Also would it be a good idea to drain to about 10% and keep charging to full for a few nights?
From what I've noticed, takes about two weeks of usage for the new battery to be running at full capacity for the iPhones.

Here's my rule for Lithium-ion polymer batteries

Charge it constantly, at the desk or with a car charger and also overnight charging.

I don't allow the batt to drop lower then 30% at any given time, even if I decide not to drive to work or charge it at my desk.

Power cycle the battery once a month for conditioning.

My iPhone 3G is still going very strong on the original battery. My coworker who always drained his 3GS battery down to 0% everyday had to replace it on the 14th month, the thing dies at 49% and when you plug it back into the charger it powers on at 50% LOL

On my old Palm Treo 680, I would have TomTom running while plugged into the car charger all the time. After 2 years, the battery wasn't as great as the GF's 680, which was only charged nightly.
E2EK1EL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:35 PM   #11
KoukiFC3S
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by E2EK1EL View Post
From what I've noticed, takes about two weeks of usage for the new battery to be running at full capacity for the iPhones.

Here's my rule for Lithium-ion polymer batteries

Charge it constantly, at the desk or with a car charger and also overnight charging.

I don't allow the batt to drop lower then 30% at any given time, even if I decide not to drive to work or charge it at my desk.

Power cycle the battery once a month for conditioning.

My iPhone 3G is still going very strong on the original battery. My coworker who always drained his 3GS battery down to 0% everyday had to replace it on the 14th month, the thing dies at 49% and when you plug it back into the charger it powers on at 50% LOL

On my old Palm Treo 680, I would have TomTom running while plugged into the car charger all the time. After 2 years, the battery wasn't as great as the GF's 680, which was only charged nightly.
This. Also, don't let the phone plugged in when its battery is full.
KoukiFC3S is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:43 PM   #12
E2EK1EL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
This. Also, don't let the phone plugged in when its battery is full.
No need to worry about that, iOS has a built in discharge system and takes off 1% for every 20 mins. Just like the Macbooks, they have battery managing system that is built in to the hardware and software.

Of course don't leave it on the charger 24/7 a day like the demo units and those batteries are discharging due to overheating all the time.
E2EK1EL is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone