Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
I just want to put this out there as a feeler and see where it goes.

I am currently running 10.7.5 Lion and had been preparing to upgrade to 10.8.x Mountain Lion. In all of this, I realized that I am about six months late to the Mountain Lion train so I decided to slow down and think this through before taking the plunge and upgrading.

The reason for the pause in the process is the fact that 10.8 was released about a year after 10.7 and MacRumors recently reported on seeing signs of 10.9 in the works.

With Apple going in the direction of annual upgrades to OS X, and considering that it's been about half a year since 10.8 was released, would it be a best to just wait until 10.9 at this point?

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Are there features that you want now or that would be particularly useful?

In short, do you have any compelling reason to upgrade other than the desire to upgrade?

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
Are there features that you want now or that would be particularly useful?

Dictation, AirPlay Mirroring, Notes and Reminders being stand-alone apps, Calendar sidebar, new Safari, and Gatekeeper to name a few.

In short, do you have any compelling reason to upgrade other than the desire to upgrade?

Yes.

1) A refined version of Lion in Mountain Lion. Much like Snow Leopard was a more refined version of Leopard with under the hood improvements.

2) Ever since I upgraded to 10.7.5, my iMac has had this weird permissions issue regarding the display. Upon startup, my iMac will load OS X with the grey screen and Apple logo then right before the login screen the display will "turn off" then back on immediately displaying the login screen instead of a smoother transition to the login screen from the grey screen.

3) I need to clean up my iMac's internal hard drive from the junk that has accumulated over the past year and a half. It also doesn't help that I rolled my files and everything else from a Time Machine backup from an earlier system. Of course, an upgrade to 10.8 Mountain Lion isn't necessary to clean up my Mac but I figure I could knock two birds out with one stone.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
With Apple going in the direction of annual upgrades to OS X, and considering that it's been about half a year since 10.8 was released, would it be a best to just wait until 10.9 at this point?
One thing that isn't clear.. is how old is your iMac? Is it old enough that 10.9 not working on it is a possibility?

You may also get hit by programs that need Mountain Lion and not Lion to work properly.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
One thing that isn't clear.. is how old is your iMac? Is it old enough that 10.9 not working on it is a possibility?

It's a 27" 2011 iMac. It actually shipped with 10.6.8 Snow Leopard after the release date of 10.7 Lion was announced and I received a free upgrade for Lion, which I obviously took advantage of.

At this point, I don't think I need to worry about 10.9 not working on my iMac. Of course, Apple could decide to have certain features be "incompatible" (like Siri requiring at least an iPhone 4S when it really didn't :rolleyes:).

You may also get hit by programs that need Mountain Lion and not Lion to work properly.

After looking through my apps, it doesn't seem like I'll be encountering issues with apps breaking. The only third-party app I use heavily is Photoshop CS6 and I think Adobe will be quick about putting a patch out in case 10.9 breaks any of the CS6 apps.

njean777

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
If you want the features then I would just upgrade to ML. It's stable and works well.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I've used OS since 10.2. Someone recently commented, perhaps in jest, that the even-numbered releases were the "better" ones; but if you had to wait and choose, I have to say that I agree.

As Apple is now doing yearly releases -- and only fixing bugs in the new releases -- I would certainly recommend getting 10.8, as it fixes many of the issues with Lion, and I would wait to see what 10.9 brings -- bugs and features -- before deciding whether to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.