Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Most peoples reasoning for jailbreaking IS in fact installuous, I believe they think that if they shut down the service, Apple is more likely to kind of "allow" jailbreaking. Now that the most popular thing is shut down it won't steal from their revenue. Aka taking one for the team.

Carl Sagan

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2011
The Universe
This is one of the most ridiculous pieces of speculation I've read on the Internet in months. Apple won't be doing anything other than laughing with glee while concentrating on getting their 2013 product lines ready!

----------

Jailbreakers enable pirates, no jailbreak no piracy.

Dr Sam Beckett

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
yeah... not true..

people can still install cracked IPA WITHOUT a jailbreak.. and there are infact many alternatives to installous.

I for one am glad its shut down.. but your "theory" is not too sound

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
While I admit that I once did pirate, but ever since the 4S I just found myself using the tweaks to make the phone experience better. Can't even remember if I had Installous installed on the 4S.

And yea that's the first thing that popped to mind after I heard it was shutdown. I just want my tweaks, Apple is stupidly slow with some very convenient features. JB fills that gap.

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
While I'm glad installous is shut down because it makes people think you don't jailbreak for the purpose of pirating apps, there will still be other devs who will start a similar pirating source (and there already alternatives that exists).

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Most peoples reasoning for jailbreaking IS in fact installuous, I believe they think that if they shut down the service, Apple is more likely to kind of "allow" jailbreaking. Now that the most popular thing is shut down it won't steal from their revenue. Aka taking one for the team.

That makes no sense at all bro.
Even if piracy was completely disabled when jb apple will never just "allow" it.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
What I find funny is, people thinking jailbreaking is gone.

I told someone that Installous was gone and they said they might as well upgrade to iOS 6. I laughed and said that doesn't mean Cydia is gone.

I'm just curious who's going to step up to the plate and create the new Installous.

I remember py0 (I think) tried coming out with his but ended up discontinuing due to legal advice?!? Why hasn't Hackulous ever got any legal advice?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
having installus does not mean the person is stealing or even that they use it!

Really now? What legitimate reason does one have for having installous? App trials with the intent to buy if you like? Ok but that is still against TOS and infringing copyright and once again I'd wager most don't bother buying.

What other reasons?

And why would one download installous and not have the intent to use it?

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Really now? What legitimate reason does one have for having installous? App trials with the intent to buy if you like? Ok but that is still against TOS and infringing copyright and once again I'd wager most don't bother buying.

What other reasons?

And why would one download installous and not have the intent to use it?

Well I have it and I challenge you to find a stolen app either from the app store or cydia on my device. I've used a few times to get previous versions of apps I bought in a pinch. If you believe that or not I really don't care.

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
Installuous sucks. You can't update the apps via App Store. Installed a few apps at the beginning this way, was just easier to pay for them.

If you want the app, just buy it.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Surely there is a stat that shows how many of jail broken devices have installous. I would wager that it is easily over half.
I'd be willing to contribute to the same bet. Anyone who thinks the majority of jailbreakers do it for customization is likely mistaken. Customization gets old. Downloading new apps all the time for free doesn't. Not saying it is right to do so, just that it is/was the main selling point to jailbreaking.

You don't have to look far to see that jailbreaking = piracy for most people. No jailbreak since iOS 6 (which has been a terribly long time in e-years) equals no more Hackulous community.

I think most people, however, have seen that it just isn't practical to steal apps, even if it is easy to do so. There are only a handful of quality apps that any one individual can enjoy over a certain span of time anyway, so it isn't that expensive.

jw2002

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
What legitimate reason does one have for having installous?

What legitimate reason does one have for using Facebook or email? After all, people might be trading serial numbers or stock tips or who knows what? Sheesh. Purity trolls are so tiring with all their worrying about what horrible things other people *might* be doing.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
What legitimate reason does one have for using Facebook or email? After all, people might be trading serial numbers or stock tips or who knows what? Sheesh. Purity trolls are so tiring with all their worrying about what horrible things other people *might* be doing.

When I say legitimate, I mean in terms of legitimacy as in legal uses...not the significance of the activity...

The whole point of installous is to circumvent copyright. Or do you disagree? I don't understand how you are trying to equate it to Facebook.

But by all means, justify it all you want. Doesn't make it right

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Your first assertion is speculation and difficult to prove. It is a disservice to characterize jailbrakers as pirates.

Exactly, I have an android phone which people root all the time. People don't root android phones for piracy as you can sideload apps without root. Theres tons of other reasons to root/JB than to pirate apps. Just look at XDA, millions of members that root and they aren't doing it to pirate.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
The main reason for root access on Android is to install custom ROMs. The main reason for root access/jailbreak on iOS is pirated apps. By main, I mean 50%+ of people who do such things.

Apple won't allow jailbreaks. Ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.