Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cajun67

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2011
My stepson was given an iPad Mini for Christmas. He's six. I protested that a six year old could be responsible for a $329 device. Sure enough, less than a week later, and he's already dropped it on the hardwood stairs and there's a spiderweb across the screen.

I hate to spend money to get it fixed, just to see him drop it again; I'm thinking of buying a screen protector and putting that on just to hold the glass together as long as possible. Do you think that will work?

What does it cost to replace the screen on the mini?

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Tablet for adults:

iPad-mini.jpg

Tablet for kids:

kurio_01.jpg

Tablet for kids under the supervision of an adult:

iPad-mini.jpg

Anyway go to an Apple Store and listen what they tell you, it will not be cheap in this case. Otherwise buy the screen with glass online, find a youtube video that explane how to do it and replace by yourself spending way less.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
If it doesn't have the applecare+, I think the cost is slightly less than a new one. If you didn't buy the iPad I would write it as a loss. Don't spend money on it.

Check with Apple on your options. Leave out the part about the iPad being your 6 yr olds and being dropped by the child.

PattyMc

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
I would go to an Apple Store and tell them what happened, I have heard many times of them replacing it if it has only been a week or less of ownership and especially if a child dropped it. If, and that's a big if, they replace it then make sure to purchase an Otterbox Defender or something similar and put it on it right away before child touches it! Good luck to you and I'm hoping that Apple will surprise you! Oh and it might help if you told them that you would purchase AppleCare + on a replacement...can't hurt to try this!

rrjr80

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
The elitists of the MacRumors forums judging the decisions of others yet again. Some of you desperately need to find something better to do with your time.

The best bet is to take it to an Apple store and see if they are willing to assist you. Some stores are more accommodating than others.

macjram

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
Ouch. Is there an Otterbox for the iPad Mini? I hear they have really great protection.

rrjr80

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
There is an Otterbox which would protect it well if a child is using it. The Griffin Survivor case is also a great option, which some reviews say protects even better than the Otterbox.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Try to take it to apple. They might make you buy apple care and pay for the replacement but it might be cheaper than fixing the whole screen by itself

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Otherwise buy the screen with glass online, find a youtube video that explane how to do it and replace by yourself spending way less.

Its a mini. The screen and glass are laminated together. You can't just replace the glass.

I believe it's $219 to get your mini replaced by Apple, out of warranty.

Best solution = however you could buy Apple Care for $79 now and then once you've registered your device with the Apple Care, simply go and get it replaced under the extended apple care warranty cover.

Once its replaced buy a very protective case, or keep the mini for yourself and buy him a leapfrog....

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Tell him to get a job and pay for a new one. Responsibility!

Oh yeah let's all force a 6 year old into child labour to teach him a lesson for basically being a child (which generally happen to be childlike with things)... :rolleyes:

Seriously guys get a grip. The responsibility is on the parents / guardians to supervise children with expensive electronics. The OP was right to be concerned in the first instance, but I imagine had little choice in the end as the purchasing seems to have been done by his partner.

So it basically boils down to fixing the situation now with the added benefit of hindsight.

Get the Apple Care, get the iPad replaced, and then decide to keep it for the adults in the house, enforce parental control so that he can only used by the child when under supervised company, or sell it off and buy him something else.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
If you do end up replacing it, you may try a case that he may actually like and wouldn't mind using.

http://www.speckproducts.com/iguy-for-ipad-mini.html

Best solution = however you could buy Apple Care for $79 now and then once you've registered your device with the Apple Care, simply go and get it replaced under the extended apple care warranty cover.

Once its replaced buy a very protective case, or keep the mini for yourself and buy him a leapfrog....

AC+ is $99 and he may have to bring it in before purchasing.

Attachments

• spk-a1517_iguy-for-ipadmini-lime_3qfront_2_3.jpg
    spk-a1517_iguy-for-ipadmini-lime_3qfront_2_3.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 483

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
My stepson was given an iPad Mini for Christmas. He's six. I protested that a six year old could be responsible for a $329 device. Sure enough, less than a week later, and he's already dropped it on the hardwood stairs and there's a spiderweb across the screen.

Since you don't say where you live... You might check with your home insurance if accidental damage is covered.

And if you feel bad about your six year old damaging his iPad... I know parents who bought their son a car on a Friday afternoon, and on the Saturday it was written off... And then they talked to some people and one of them had a son who managed to turn over his car on the first day he got it...

As a parent: Kids can use an iPad in a way that is accident prone, or in a way that isn't accident prone. My grandchildren learned that taking Coke close to a Mac means that both the Coke and the Mac get taken away. A six year old will learn quickly not to use an iPad in a way where accidents are likely if the parents watch out.

Last edited:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I just assumed it was straight €-$ :)

He shouldn't need to bring it in if he buys the Apple Care from the online store. :)

Lol, yep you're right. Strangely enough, I can't find AC+ on the UK or Ireland Apple Store. They only seem to offer just the old Applecare which doesn't cover 2 accidental drops.

It seems Apple doesn't allow you to purchase AC+ from their site. It says free shipping, but there's no way to add it to the cart. I'd bet it's so they can see it first. I have however purchased it on my iPhone over the phone, but it was within a week of purchasing it.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4689LL/A/applecare-for-ipad

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Lol, yep you're right. Strangely enough, I can't find AC+ on the UK or Ireland Apple Store. They only seem to offer just the old Applecare which doesn't cover 2 accidental drops.

It seems Apple doesn't allow you to purchase AC+ from their site. It says free shipping, but there's no way to add it to the cart. I'd bet it's so they can see it first. I have however purchased it on my iPhone over the phone, but it was within a week of purchasing it.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4689LL/A/applecare-for-ipad

They've changed the layout of the store so ts litte fiddlier to find.. Though we don't get the + part of the service, though I have found Apple support have a lot of discretion.

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MC593/applecare-protection-plan-for-ipad

Strangely you are right can't seem to add AppleCare+ on US store to cart ? Very strange...

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
He shouldn't need to bring it in if he buys the Apple Care from the online store. :)

From the Apple Store online:

How to get AppleCare+

You have 30 days from your iPad purchase to buy AppleCare+. Your iPad purchase date is the date we ship and charge you for your order.

There are two ways to buy from Apple:

- From the Apple online store: When you order the iPad with Retina display, iPad 2 or iPad mini, you'll have the option to add.

- At an Apple Retail Store (if AppleCare+ is purchased separately from iPad, inspection of the iPad, & proof of purchase are required).

That's why you can't order it online, Apple wants to prevent this very thing from happening. It's certainly abusing the system, and it's obviously happened enough that Apple has put measures in place to prevent it.

Also, the US version is AppleCare+, which covers 2 incidents of accidental damage. The UK version is AppleCare (no +), which does NOT cover accidental damage. That's why you can order it online in the UK, but not in the US.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
From the Apple Store online:

That's why you can't order it online, Apple wants to prevent this very thing from happening. It's certainly abusing the system, and it's obviously happened enough that Apple has put measures in place to prevent it.

Also, the US version is AppleCare+, which covers 2 incidents of accidental damage. The UK version is AppleCare (no +), which does NOT cover accidental damage. That's why you can order it online in the UK, but not in the US.

That makes sense, but what your saying is we're getting jipped in the UK & Ireland with the non+ service. ;)

Also if its just proof of purchase would a sales receipt suffice in a store for him I wonder? :)

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
That makes sense, but what your saying is we're getting jipped in the UK & Ireland with the non+ service. ;)

Also if its just proof of purchase would a sales receipt suffice in a store for him I wonder? :)

Yep, you guys are getting jipped. Also a receipt wouldn't suffice. Apple wants to see the device and inspect it so you aren't abusing AC+. I have read of times that Apple will let you buy it in-store and then use your first replacement for a total of $150 USD for a replacement.

you can get square trade on line

I'm aware as I bought my insurance online (not Squaretrade). Of course that's still being a little sketchy.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
I have all my idevices including my mini in Otterboxes. I put them in on day one or as soon as the Otterbox for that device comes out. I have never had one damaged in any way even after drop kicking one across a parking lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.