Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Given brazil isn't actually a really rich country, it makes sense that Macs aren't a huge share of the market there.

Well, that's for sure. And note that the market share of OS X is particularly high in English-speaking countries such as the U.S., the U.K., Canada and Australia. In the U.S., Mac market share for December 2012 was 14.93%, according to StarCounter website. In the U.K., it was 11.49%. And 14.83% in Australia, and 15.92% in Canada.

In European countries (other than the U.K.), market share is usually a bit lower: it was 6.76% in Germany; 10.4% in France; 9.68% in the Netherlands; 14.25% in Norway; 14.03% in Sweden; 8.35% in Italy; 9.69% in Austria; and 6.29% in Spain.

Brazil is not a rich country. It has a large economy because it is a populous country, but the GDP per capita is not high. However, you should expect Brazil to perform similarly to countries with a similar GDP per capita.

Well, here are the results:

Brazil: 1.67%
South Africa: 5.9%
Costa Rica: 5.86%
Mexico: 4.79%
Panama: 5.8%

Seems to low, huh?

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
At this point in time, isn't Windows 8 market share ahead of OS X almost everywhere, anyway? It's the other way around that would be shocking IMO.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Is this sales data or how many folks are using a pirated OS?

Actually, it's data tracked by StarCounter. Accoding to the website, this is the methodology used:

What methodology is used to calculate StatCounter Global Stats?

StatCounter is a web analytics service. Our tracking code is installed on more than 3 million sites globally. These sites cover various activities and geographic locations. Every month, we record billions of page views to these sites. For each page view, we analyse the browser/operating system/screen resolution used and we establish if the page view is from a mobile device. For our search engine stats, we analyze every page view referred by a search engine. For our social media stats, we analyze every page view referred by a social media site. We summarize all this data to get our Global Stats information.

We provide independent, unbiased stats on internet usage trends. We do not collate our stats with any other information sources. No artificial weightings are used. We remove bot activity and make a small adjustment to our browser stats for prerendering in Google Chrome. Aside from those adjustments, we publish the data as we record it.

In other words we calculate our Global Stats on the basis of more than 15 billion page views per month, by people from all over the world onto our 3 million+ member sites.

By collating our data in this way, we track the activity of third party visitors to our member websites. We do not calculate our stats based on the activity of our members alone. This helps to minimise bias in the data and achieve a random sample.

In August 2012, our global sample consisted of 17.1 billion page views (US: 4.2 billion); 2.5 billion of these were search engine referrals (US: 524 million); 262 million of these were social media referrals (US: 121 million).

----------

At this point in time, isn't Windows 8 market share ahead of OS X almost everywhere, anyway? It's the other way around that would be shocking IMO.

Actually, no. Windows 8 is being a little slow to take off. and it will take some time (certainly more than 2 months) before it actually beats OS X.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

Not many users actually upgrade OS until they need to buy a new computer, hence the huge percentage of XP users still. Once their old XP, Vista or 7 machines die on them (or just get too old), they'll get a new machine with the latest and greatest on.

It will take another year or so at least for Windows 8 to start creeping above OS X.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Not many users actually upgrade OS until they need to buy a new computer, hence the huge percentage of XP users still. Once their old XP, Vista or 7 machines die on them (or just get too old), they'll get a new machine with the latest and greatest on.

It will take another year or so at least for Windows 8 to start creeping above OS X.

Windows 8 is already at 40 million licenses sold, it will most likely crack over 100 million by next December.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

Nope.

Windows 8 is doing worse than Vista did in its first few months - by a significant margin. After a small spike that was almost as fast in update as Vista (about half Windows 7 adoption speed) it has tapered off quite a lot and is now growing very slowly indeed.

Pretty bad news for Microsoft - given that this no doubt counts installs of Windows 8 on the surface as well as PCs. Vista and 7 didn't ship on tablets...

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Windows 8 is already at 40 million licenses sold, it will most likely crack over 100 million by next December.

Yeah but it depends on how you measure market share. Apparently, here we're talking about new devices sold with OS X or Windows 8 installed, excluding licenses for updates (that's how I understand it but I might be wrong).

Still, it's shocking because Mac globally represents not more than 10% of PC's sold (I don't know what the most recent figure is, but it should be around 7 to 8%). That means sales of Windows 8 devices are under that number and that's a major setback for the Windows business. No wonder Sinofsky was shown the door.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Yeah but it depends on how you measure market share. Apparently, here we're talking about new devices sold with OS X or Windows 8 installed, excluding licenses for updates (that's how I understand it but I might be wrong).

Microsoft are inflating the numbers and counting all of their enterprise volume license customers as Windows 8 sales.

E.g., my company has a Microsoft enterprise volume license. We are entitled to X number of Windows client licenses (Enterprise version) of whatever version of Windows we want (XP, 7, 8).

We run 7, but because 8 is out, and we are a volume license customer who has been given enterprise keys for 8, and we are licensed for 600 desktops, we count as 600 Windows 8 sales.

In reality: We have 1-2 Virtual Machines running 8 in test at the moment.

The real-world adoption numbers for Windows 8 are a lot worse than even the low figures Microsoft have released.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Microsoft are inflating the numbers and counting all of their enterprise volume license customers as Windows 8 sales.

E.g., my company has a Microsoft enterprise volume license. We are entitled to X number of Windows client licenses (Enterprise version) of whatever version of Windows we want (XP, 7, 8).

We run 7, but because 8 is out, and we are a volume license customer who has been given enterprise keys for 8, and we are licensed for 600 desktops, we count as 600 Windows 8 sales.

The real-world adoption numbers for Windows 8 are a lot worse than even the low figures Microsoft have released.

Yes, I suspect Windows 8 is being a failure indeed. I see many people who actually use Windows 8 showing signs of being very happy with it. But I also see even more people afraid of even trying Windows 8 because the interface is so different. The result is a lot of people not upgrading to Windows 8 because it's too much of a departure from Windows 7. Mixed reviews also don't help here.

After the failure of Windows 8, it makes sense for Microsoft to release a new version of Windows in 2013 (the so-called "Windows Blue", which nobody even know if it will become a reality). I hope it does, however.

Renzatic

Suspended

Where did you hear about this? From what I understand, MS only counted upgrades bought and activated through Digital River starting out, and didn't even consider enterprise license keys.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Where did you hear about this? From what I understand, MS only counted upgrades bought and activated through Digital River starting out, and didn't even consider enterprise license keys.

Various places (the isn't the original source I heard about it from, merely an example):

The first quote begs for definitions of the terms "sold" and "upgrade." I think it's fair to assume that 4 million people didn't pull out their credit cards and pay for a $40 online upgrade over the weekend, but I may be overly cynical. I will note in passing that anyone who bought a Windows 7 PC over the weekend, in some respects "paid" for an upgrade (see the "revenue deferral" argument), and companies that renewed their volume licenses over the weekend had Windows 8 slipped in for the ride.

ref: http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/how-microsoft-fudges-windows-8-sales-figures-207497

Essentially, the sales figures don't mean much as far as enterprise customers go. As I said, we are licensed for any client version of Windows for example, and just pay a "per device" CAL (client license) to run any non-server version of Windows from 3.1 onwards, including licenses for Lync, Forefront Client Security, etc - they're all included in the enterprise CAL. Server licenses are similar - we just pay per device, and whether we are running 2003, 2008 or 2008 R2, it's just an enterprise server license.

Thus, we are officially a Windows 8 sale, even though we don't run it.

The figures they should be reporting on are product activations (windows needs to activate on-line or via phone these days), which Microsoft could easily provide if they wanted to. This "we don't have the figures yet" spin from Microsoft is BS - they most definitely DO know how many copies of Windows 8 are running. The non-pirated ones, anyway.

The fact that they're not bragging about concrete numbers would indicate that they aren't good.

Considering the upgrade price for Windows 8 is MUCH cheaper than the price was to upgrade to Windows 7 or Vista, I'd say it's a disaster.

Last edited:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
While the iOS devices manage to get traction even with the absurd prices, OS X still suffers.

It's not only because of the price, OS X itself is not attractive.

First, the Microsoft Office suite for Mac is horrible, it's not even available in portuguese.

Also there's no version of the keyboard in the ABNT2 standard (not that important, but still).

But mostly, no one here knows how to use it, even the promoters on the store kiosks. Windows is dominant everywhere, Mac still is the thing people use to play with photos and videos, as it lacks most software people use to work. People are used to Windows, there's no reason to change (specially if the entry cost is higher than US$1500).

Nice thing about an opinion, everybody has one even if it's ridiculously biased. :rolleyes:

----------

Exactly and not only that, they always count the PC's that are sent to the retailers (before any customer even buys them) that come preinstalled with Windows.
Mac OS X, one OS installed on one piece of hardware from one company.
Windows, one OS installed on multiple PC's from multiple companies. Very easy for MS to inflate numbers. THEY KNOW Windows 8 wouldn't make it unless it was preinstalled on PC's. I beg to differ that it would get many sales on it's own merit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.