Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Carrier are You with?

• Straight Talk

Votes: 46 7.8%
  • AT&T

Votes: 266 45.2%
  • H2O Wireless

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Sprint

Votes: 53 9.0%
  • Verizon

Votes: 128 21.7%
  • T-Mobile

Votes: 74 12.6%
  • Simple Mobile

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Red Pocket Mobile

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • GoSmart Mobile

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Net 10

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Virgin Mobile USA

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Cricket Wireless

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Spot Mobile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Walmart Family Mobile

• Ultra Mobile

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Platinum Tel (Ptel)

• Lyca Mobile

• Solavei

• Total voters

Rajincajuns

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
Please note Verizon & Sprint iPhone 4S is CDMA & GSM Compatible but Verizon and Sprint Lock their GSM Portion of the iPhone 4S (Sprint also does this with iPhone 5 but Verizon due to FCC rules & Regulations cannot so the Verizon iPhone 5 GSM portion is Unlocked meaning you can use it on any GSM Network in USA, Canada and world wide! whereas Sprint and Verizon iPhone 4S can only be used on International GSM networks as they have purposely put a block on all USA GSM Carriers)

Verizon iPhone 5 since it comes with its GSM Portion Unlocked can be used on AT&T and T-Mobile out of the box, But will not get LTE on AT&T due to not having the required bands.

Spring iPhone 5 will only work on International GSM Carrier networks meaning anywhere outside of USA.

Also what I meant was that there is no Network that you can run your iPhone 4S on which uses Verizon towers. Straight Talk uses AT&T and T-Mobile towers to provide its customer service. When you start digging in there is tons of information most people don't know about so I don't blame you and its a bit confusing at first.

Aww ok. Thanks for the explanation! That clarifies a lot!

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
But if I bought an iPhone 4S thru apple the. It's unlocked and can be used on a GSM. It a Verizon phone. Is this correct?

Nope that is not correct. Even though you bought your iPhone 4S from apple, its not the factory unlocked version. It is a Verizon CDMA/GSM iPhone 4S with Domestic GSM Network block on it, Only allowed to use/access International GSM Networks.

You may have purchased it at full price or upgrade. But Note to anyone, just because you buy a iPhone 4S/5 at Apple Store does not automatically make it Factory Unlocked, You still have to request it to be unlocked from the carrier that its for when you purchase it by telling Apple Store associate that you are looking to be using it for Verizon, Sprint or AT&T. Its different if you tell them you want to purchase a Factory Unlocked GSM iPhone to use on xyz network.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I've been wanting to ditch AT&T, but I have unlimited data and don't want to lose it. Now that I know I don't need an unlocked iPhone and can use straight talk, I'd like to at least try out the service for a month.

daniel86bm

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
I have t-mobile and i Pay 148 a month for 3 lines but i have everything unlimited and i mean unlimited no data caps no nothing i currently have an iphone 5 and the 1900 MHZ refarm is almost done in my area the average speed i get in my area is 11.99 Mbps I'M very happy and won't switch for nothing, AT&T Verizon and Sprint are a ripoff Go t-mobile!!!:)

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Has anyone cut down a Straight Talk Micro SIM or Straight Talk standard SIM to nano sim for their iPhone?

I am looking to get straight talk on my iPhone 5 and wondering which one I should get to cut down? Please advise and if you can include a picture and any extra info I should know/be aware of before proceeding. Thanks

ml.sail1

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
Pittsburgh
I don't use straighttalk, But I do use net10 which offers the same deal. I started the 1st if this month and so far everything is going well, unlimited talk/text/data. Contrary to the straighttalk unlimited terms which are very vague on specific limits and such, net10 puts it in clear terms, they give you 50,000 minutes a month for talk/text/data. Obviously, calls deduct from that on a minute by minute basis. Texts use 0.5 minutes I believe, and data I haven't quite figured the conversion, it may just be mb to minute. In case you didn't look it up out of curiosity, there are only something like 43,000 actual minutes in a month, so you should be good.

As of today (12-31-12) I used 8:39 of talk time and about 2.5 GB of data with no problems. I got the Net10 package which came with 3 sim cards-a Standard ATT sim, a Micro ATT sim, and a Standard T-Mobile sim. I cut the Standard ATT sim down by hand following a guide here and make sure you print out the template on A4 sized paper if possible.

This sim card pack can be bought from Target locally as well as Best Buy (Note I have no affiliation with either, nor with Net10. I am just a happy customer)

Also posted below are a few speed tests from the Pittsburgh PA area as well as all the way down to Orlando FL (Vacation Drive).

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Data Speeds.JPG
    Data Speeds.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Usage Stats.jpg
    Usage Stats.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 143

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I don't use straighttalk, But I do use net10 which offers the same deal. I started the 1st if this month and so far everything is going well, unlimited talk/text/data. Contrary to the straighttalk unlimited terms which are very vague on specific limits and such, net10 puts it in clear terms, they give you 50,000 minutes a month for talk/text/data. Obviously, calls deduct from that on a minute by minute basis. Texts use 0.5 minutes I believe, and data I haven't quite figured the conversion, it may just be mb to minute. In case you didn't look it up out of curiosity, there are only something like 43,000 actual minutes in a month, so you should be good.

As of today (12-31-12) I used 8:39 of talk time and about 2.5 GB of data with no problems. I got the Net10 package which came with 3 sim cards-a Standard ATT sim, a Micro ATT sim, and a Standard T-Mobile sim. I cut the Standard ATT sim down by hand following a guide here and make sure you print out the template on A4 sized paper if possible.

This sim card pack can be bought from Target locally as well as Best Buy (Note I have no affiliation with either, nor with Net10. I am just a happy customer)

Also posted below are a few speed tests from the Pittsburgh PA area as well as all the way down to Orlando FL (Vacation Drive).

Hope this helps!

Ok so Net10 sends you 3 different sim cards in a package?

Also Thanks for all the info, and Net-10, Straight Talk are all owned by Tracfone (They are all the same company)

ml.sail1

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
Pittsburgh
Ok so Net10 sends you 3 different sim cards in a package?

Also Thanks for all the info, and Net-10, Straight Talk are all owned by Tracfone (They are all the same company)

That is correct 3 sim cards in one package, and they are yes all owned by Tracfone, though they differ in certain policies (especially their unlimited offerings as stated above).

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
That is correct 3 sim cards in one package, and they are yes all owned by Tracfone, though they differ in certain policies (especially their unlimited offerings as stated above).

Can I activate all 3 sims? say for two different phones and get 2 different numbers? I can just buy a "Nano Sim Cutter" from ebay and cut the standard sim to nano and then activate the "Micro SIM" for my iPhone 4S. let me know. thanks

If possible could u post a pic of the standard SIM? just want to see the size of the gold chip on the SIM and if its cuttable for nano. thanks again for your quick replies!

Happy New Year to all of you on Mac Rumors!

ml.sail1

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
Pittsburgh
Can I activate all 3 sims? say for two different phones and get 2 different numbers? I can just buy a "Nano Sim Cutter" from ebay and cut the standard sim to nano and then activate the "Micro SIM" for my iPhone 4S. let me know. thanks

I would imagine there should be no problems doing this, though I cannot speak from experience on this one. Just remember that two of them are ATT sims (presumably you would want to use these - especially with an iPhone) while the third is a T-Mobile sim.

In my sim card package each sim has a separate EMEI # (I think that is the name of it, but regardless) which is used in activation, so you should be able to activate each one separately with the different numbers.

Happy New Years! (Soon or already depending upon your location)

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
thanks again, im definitely going to pick up net10 sim package as its cheaper than straight talk sim(1 vs 3 for $14.99).

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I have added GoSmart Mobile(New T-Mobile Prepaid Service), Net10, Virgin Mobile USA and Cricket Wireless to the Poll so select your carrier!

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Any prognostications on whether the uber-cheap T-mob plans will stick around when the iPhone officially lands? I'm still on contract with ATT until about the time iPhone 5S is rumored to supposedly maybe launch (possibly spring / late spring / early summer?)... Anyway I was wondering if I should do something like this and lock in the $40 awesomeness, but if the plans are sticking around I have no problem waiting.

I sort of get the feeling the iP5S is still a ways off and I'll have a window in which to get the good deal, but you never know.

Knockoutjosie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2012
I went to Verizon and asked if I can unlock my phone but they told me the iPhone 4S is already unlocked. Is there any way I can use my 4s on straight talk? I heard you have to buy a Gevey Turbo SIM for it to work. Can anyone help me? I'm running iOS 6.0.1. Thanks In advance
Edit: is anyone on #3? How fast is 3G on straight talk vs #3. I can't Remeber the name haha

Last edited:

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I went to Verizon and asked if I can unlock my phone but they told me the iPhone 4S is already unlocked. Is there any way I can use my 4s on straight talk? I heard you have to buy a Gevey Turbo SIM for it to work. Can anyone help me? I'm running iOS 6.0.1. Thanks In advance
Edit: is anyone on #3? How fast is 3G on straight talk vs #3. I can't Remeber the name haha

Data on Choice # 3 (H2O Wireless & Red Pocket Wireless) is about the same as Straight Talk if not exactly, but all depends on your area and how good the coverage is as all Straight talk, H2O Wireless & Red Pocket Wireless all run off of AT&T towers/network.

Also for Verizon iPhone 4S you will need a Gevey Turbo Sim for it to work on Straight Talk since Verizon (as well as Sprint) lock/block their iPhone 4S against Domestic (within USA) GSM Network use. I would personally sell off the Verizon 4S and just pick up a AT&T 4S....its so much better and less hassle to enjoy your contract free plans:)

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
Alright, I have an I phone 4s and I no longer have a contract with sprint. My wife ask me if I wanted to change carriers from sprint to AT&T. I'm not sure if I leave sprint and go to AT&T will I have to start a hole new contract even though I will be added to her line.

Palacedog

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
Need help with ST.

I had AT&T unlock my i4 last month and have yet to get any cellular data service from Straight Talk. I resorted to the T-Mobile sim swap method, which allows me to input all the correct APN info, but it will not save. The phone reverts back to "phone" under APN and the AT&T info in the MMSC field. I've been on the phone with ST csrs several times and they keep telling me the phone is not unlocked, blah, blah, blah.... I've triple checked with both AT&T and Apple and the phone is definitely unlocked.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Love saving $40 a month, but without cellular data, I may have to bite the bullet and go back to AT&T.

Thanks in advance.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
So can I use my ip4s verizon on pay as you go?

Only if you can unlock it via Gevey Turbo SIM (if it supports your iOS version). I would personally sell off the Verizon iPhone 4S and pick up a AT&T 4S for about the same price from CraigsList and use that....because it comes with the freedom of being able to switch carriers on the go far better than the Verizon/Sprint model of iPhone 4S....

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I had AT&T unlock my i4 last month and have yet to get any cellular data service from Straight Talk. I resorted to the T-Mobile sim swap method, which allows me to input all the correct APN info, but it will not save. The phone reverts back to "phone" under APN and the AT&T info in the MMSC field. I've been on the phone with ST csrs several times and they keep telling me the phone is not unlocked, blah, blah, blah.... I've triple checked with both AT&T and Apple and the phone is definitely unlocked.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Love saving $40 a month, but without cellular data, I may have to bite the bullet and go back to AT&T.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure what I can tell you other than my carrier unlocked iPhone 4 works great with straight talk using the tmobile sim swap. Try again perhaps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.