Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dozier33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Selling a PowerBook g4 15" running 10.5.8.. Has 512 ram..What should I ask for this? Great shape.. Thanks for input :)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Selling a PowerBook g4 15" running 10.5.8.. Has 512 ram..What should I ask for this? Great shape.. Thanks for input :)

I bought one 2 years ago, a Powerbook G4 1.67 Ghz with 2 512MB RAM modules for 200 Euro.
One of the RAM slots does not work though, have a single 1 GB RAM module now.
If the specs are lower than this you probably won't get more than $150 for it.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
I got my (15", 1.67GHz, 1 GB RAM, Leopard, mint condition with manual, stickers and all that) for $60 including shipping - but now I'm sensing that isn't an accurate price...? Or maybe it is, just not on sites like eBay.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Sold my 15" PB for 160€ + shipping, 1.67ghz, 1gb, 80gb, superdrive etc. It was the last model with ddr1 ram.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
OP, you didn't say what country you live in (or where in the U.S.), since prices vary wildly.

For example, prices in the Chicago area where I live are lower than the prices in San Francisco for used Macs across the board. But if you're selling on eBay that doesn't matter. I'd say $150 on eBay, perhaps as high as $200.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
I got my (15", 1.67GHz, 1 GB RAM, Leopard, mint condition with manual, stickers and all that) for $60 including shipping - but now I'm sensing that isn't an accurate price...? Or maybe it is, just not on sites like eBay.

Given the way you describe your PowerBook, that's a great price. I don't know that many people would spend more than a hundred bucks for it now, though I'm aware people are offering them for a higher price.

Sellers wanting >$100 need to get lucky and match up with a buyer who is either unaware of what he's getting or who knows what he's getting and is willing to pay the price.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Many Mac-owners are not aware what is inside their machines and understanding what it means to have ppc machine is also hard for some of , it is not enough to say it's an old cpu since old Intel cpus can still run today's software, slowly but still.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Given the way you describe your PowerBook, that's a great price. I don't know that many people would spend more than a hundred bucks for it now, though I'm aware people are offering them for a higher price.

Sellers wanting >$100 need to get lucky and match up with a buyer who is either unaware of what he's getting or who knows what he's getting and is willing to pay the price.

They can sell for over $100, but the seller has to be patient. Take good pictures, give a good listing of what software is included, and the machine most importantly has to be in excellent condition. Without seeing it and just going by the OP's description, it could sell for $150, maybe as much as $200 on a good day. I wouldn't do it as an auction because if the two (or more) people it takes to bid something up don't show up it will go way too cheap.

----------

Many Mac-owners are not aware what is inside their machines and understanding what it means to have ppc machine is also hard for some of , it is not enough to say it's an old cpu since old Intel cpus can still run today's software, slowly but still.

That's true. When I sell off older Macs on Craigslist I get a million questions about what it can run, normally with iPhones and iPads.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
OP, you didn't say what country you live in (or where in the U.S.), since prices vary wildly.

Not only is that a fact (you can also look up your machine on mac2sell.net if you need price advice for more esoteric locations, but keep in mind that the service (while giving local prices) is also often somewhat optimistic), but also whether you reach the correct buyer is of great significance.

My general recommendation is that (if you have the time) you first try specialized sales channels (local user groups, local classifieds) then gradually move down towards the commodity market (i.e. eBay et al.) because on the commodity market you never have a chance to influence the price, as it is always set by the competition. Also, avoiding price-oriented buyers is a good avenue of price maximization.

RGDS,

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
My maxed 1.67ghz DDR2 2gb ram 320gb Hard drive High Res 15" Powerbook is still a great machine and there is no way I will sell it. The only thing I want is a brand new screen, after six plus years, the screens do dim over time.

Does anyone know where I can buy a new *not used or refurbed* HR Powerbook screen?

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
My maxed 1.67ghz DDR2 2gb ram 320gb Hard drive High Res 15" Powerbook is still a great machine and there is no way I will sell it. The only thing I want is a brand new screen, after six plus years, the screens do dim over time.

Does anyone know where I can buy a new *not used or refurbed* HR Powerbook screen?

Here's a service that promises to install a brand new screen, but it's pricey. $380.

http://www.iresq.com/macbook-repair/powerbook-g4-aluminum/15-powerbook-g4-aluminum-high-res-lcd-screen-replacement.html

For comparison, ifixit charges $180 for a bare, used HR screen.

http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/G4-Aluminum-15-Inch-1-67-GHz-HR-LCD-Panel/IF154-106

These guys will replace it with a new one for $550:
http://www.microreplay.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_90&products_id=1381

And these guys will sell you a new bare screen for $500:
http://www.welovemacs.com/pog415allcdr9.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.