Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:28 AM   #1
boodyup
macrumors member

Folder Completely Gone

I've been working on a website for some time and today while in Coda 2 I noticed that I wasn't able to save the file. I thought that was weird. So I went to the Sites folder where I keep all of my web stuff and I noticed the entire folder was gone! All my work completely wiped out.

The path is as follows:

Sites->NDD->Repository->Application

Where everything including NDD is wiped out.

I thought about what I've done to cause this and the only thing I can think of is that in an effort to clean-up some of the folders inside my web site's NDD directory, I accidentally deleted the DS Store file. Would that have caused the NDD file and it's children to get wiped out???

I also had a challenge earlier in the month when for some reason Lion Server's file permissions caused me to get locked out of the folder. It took me awhile but I was able to fix it through File Sharing and adjusting the security for the appropriate folders.

At any rate, I didn't delete the NDD file-I"m sure of that but I can't see it in the UI or using bash.

Any ideas?????
boodyup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:16 PM   #2
ElectricSheep
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to ElectricSheep
Are you sharing your Sites folder to the public? If you had to mess around with File Sharing security to try and grant yourself access and you were not careful, its entirely possible that someone logged into your server and trashed your stuff. You might start looking through the server logs.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:31 AM   #3
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Are these files on your web hosting server (i.e., your ISPs?), or your Mac?

If they're on your Mac, you should have a backup.

Deleting a .DStore file won't delete other files. It's just a preference file for the Finder.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:31 PM   #4
boodyup
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricSheep View Post
Are you sharing your Sites folder to the public? If you had to mess around with File Sharing security to try and grant yourself access and you were not careful, its entirely possible that someone logged into your server and trashed your stuff. You might start looking through the server logs.
Yes, I turned the site on and referenced the Sites folder.

I was careful to remove the ports on my router. The only thing I had was DNS forwarding. Would that have been enough?? I've run mac recovery software and don't see any php or js files after the scan takes place.

I'm bummed because I didn't want to have a full server solution but was forced to with Mountain Lion. I understand I can turn just the server stuff on through terminal commands but was leery of doing command line stuff as it's messed up my computer b4.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:43 PM   #5
boodyup
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
Are these files on your web hosting server (i.e., your ISPs?), or your Mac?

If they're on your Mac, you should have a backup.

Deleting a .DStore file won't delete other files. It's just a preference file for the Finder.
Hindsight 20/20. I have a svn repository that I normally backup to but sidn't the last few months since I was experimenting with different tools. My backup drive won't allow for the whole 3tb's to be used for Time Machine-only 800GBs. Trying to resolve that mess as well.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion