Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
There's no option to download my ipad apps in the app store to my new ipod touch 5. I thought purchases were across the board.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Some apps are iPad only. Some are universal, meaning they work on both. Some are iPhone/iPod only. But all apps work on iPad regardless because iPad has this windowed compatibility mode that doesn't exist on iPhone or iPod.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
Wrong, I jut tried putting an iPad only app on my iPod and it failed because you are wrong.

Well i did it and it worked UNLESS the apps i had on my ipad are compatible with the touch which is probably the case. In any case any or all if what i had on my ipad works perfectly on my touch5.:D

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Well i did it and it worked UNLESS the apps i had on my ipad are compatible with the touch which is probably the case. In any case any or all if what i had on my ipad works perfectly on my touch5.:D

First of all, there is no need to be rude in the earlier posts. People were only trying to help.

If there is a small plus icon next to buy or free or w.e in the app, then it is iPad and iPhone/iPod compatible. Almost all iPhone apps are iPod compatible – this is the developers choice.

If the app is iPad only, it will not work on any device besides the iPad (iPad mini is an iPad). That being said, the ones you are downloading are either iPhone only or "universal" apps.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Maybe next time the OP will try solving his own problem a little while longer before posting for help. To reply rudely to help given is most ungrateful & reflects badly on the poster. On other words, you look like a DB.

The advice in this thread is correct. iPad-specific apps will only run on iPad. Other apps may be universal and be restricted only by version of iOS needed.

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2012
Agreed that iPad only apps can't only run on iPad, I still want an option to purchase iPad apps on my ipod touch, for example if there's an app that only for sale free limited time for 1 hour, and I don't have the iPad with me, I can just purchase it on my ipod so it goes to my purchased list. And whenever I get home have my iPad I can download it for free because u already purchased it, while the limited time sale ended

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
There's no option to download my ipad apps in the app store to my new ipod touch 5. I thought purchases were across the board.

There are 3 types of apps
-iPod/iPhone only
-iPad only
-Universal

You can put an iPod/iPhone only app on the iPad but it will look smaller
You CAN'T put an iPad only app on an iPod/iPhone, period.
You can put a universal app on any iOS device

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.