Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vikramhere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Hello! Got my MBA for Thanksgiving and have been using it extensively, always on when I am at home and sleeps when I am at work.

Today I happen to check the battery status and it reads as follows -

Cycles - 38
Health - 95%

Below is the snapshot from System Information -
Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number:
Manufacturer: SMP
Device Name:
Pack Lot Code: 0
PCB Lot Code: 0
Firmware Version: 406
Hardware Revision: 000a
Cell Revision: 162
Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 6370
Fully Charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6382
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 38
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): -487
Voltage (mV): 8314

The part that worries me is highlighted in Red, for a month old MBA is it fine to have the Battery condition as Normal instead of Good?

My MBA is almost always plugged in, but runs on battery for an hour or so daily, and for 4-5 hours on battery couple of times a week.

What am I doing wrong? is the battery faulty? Any help would be appreciated.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Nothing wrong, the battery is behaving correctly and within norm.

• BATTERY INFORMATION
  • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
  • AC POWER
  • CALIBRATION
  • BATTERY LIFESPAN
  • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
  • CHARGING
  • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
  • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
  • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

vikramhere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Thanks, but my worry is why has the battery life decreased to 95% within a month of use. Does it mean that after an year I would hv to replace the battery? :(

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks, but my worry is why has the battery life decreased to 95% within a month of use. Does it mean that after an year I would hv to replace the battery? :(

It fluctuates. It will rise to 97% and fall down to 91%.
My three year old MBP's battery has only 447 cycles and hovers around 87% currently. But I also have seen it at 91% or 95% the past month.

Take a look at that FAQ I linked to, it contains valuable information and answers your question too.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
My battery has said "Normal" since the day I got it. I don't think there is such thing as "Good"

Pavel08

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
It fluctuates. It will rise to 97% and fall down to 91%.
My three year old MBP's battery has only 447 cycles and hovers around 87% currently. But I also have seen it at 91% or 95% the past month.

Take a look at that FAQ I linked to, it contains valuable information and answers your question too.

How come you have so few cycles? After 4 months I got already 152 cycles on my MBA. Is it bad? Am I using it wrong?

Nov 28, 2010
located
How come you have so few cycles? After 4 months I got already 152 cycles on my MBA. Is it bad? Am I using it wrong?

I guess you use it on battery almost all the time, as you seem to complete a cycle every 0.8th day? Do you have to use it on battery all the time or do you have access to a power plug, but just do not use it?

I have so few cycles, because when I am out and about with that machine, I often have access to power, thus I do not need to run on battery that often.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Depends on what you are doing. The battery is built to do about 1000 charges, so at this rate you have about 20 more months until you'll want a new battery. More than one charge a day is a lot.

Basically, run the MBA on battery if you are away from power, and plug it in when there is power nearby. Running on battery power when the MBA could be plugged in is wasting battery life.

vikramhere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Basically, run the MBA on battery if you are away from power, and plug it in when there is power nearby. Running on battery power when the MBA could be plugged in is wasting battery life.

Nice insight, thanks! though i have access to power, I run it on battery most of the time, thinking keeping it connected all the time would degrade the battery life!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Nice insight, thanks! though i have access to power, I run it on battery most of the time, thinking keeping it connected all the time would degrade the battery life!

Please read that FAQ, it is not compiled out of no information, it actually consists of valuable information that answers your questions.

Anyway, to prevent that, it is okay to use the MBA via power adapter, it really is. Once every month you can exercise the battery by completely draining it if you want. But constant use, especially when not needed, is not recommended if you worry about battery health.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.