Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 1, 2013, 04:30 AM   #1
ggulliver
macrumors member

Mountain Lion upgrade?

Currently running Lion 10.7.5 on my 24-inch Mid 2007 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (with 6GB ram), I'm wondering about an upgrade to Mountain Lion and whether things will likely be slower after upgrade.
ggulliver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

The three machines I upgraded speeds were the same. I could not tell any difference. There are some graphics speed improvements in Mountain Lion, but it is a small bump.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:03 PM   #3
ggulliver
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
The three machines I upgraded speeds were the same. I could not tell any difference. There are some graphics speed improvements in Mountain Lion, but it is a small bump.
Thanks.

As the Apple-stated ram requirement (Leopard 512mb, Snow Leopard 1gb, Lion 2gb) increases with each upgrade, it's the potential for overall sluggishness and/or running out of memory when available ram is shared among other apps which bothers me - and moreso as mine is the earliest of the supported models, with less power and ram.

It's an issue I've noticed since upgrading to Lion from Snow Leopard, and don't want to further worsen things. (Years back, switching my then iMac to OS X from OS 9 was horrid - sure, it did all sorts of useful stuff, but overall it was much slower and frequently ran out of memory.)

As the Mountain Lion requirement of 2gb is the same as Lion, maybe things will be ok.
ggulliver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:10 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggulliver View Post
Thanks.

As the Apple-stated ram requirement (Leopard 512mb, Snow Leopard 1gb, Lion 2gb) increases with each upgrade, it's the potential for overall sluggishness and/or running out of memory when available ram is shared among other apps which bothers me - and moreso as mine is the earliest of the supported models, with less power and ram.

It's an issue I've noticed since upgrading to Lion from Snow Leopard, and don't want to further worsen things. (Years back, switching my then iMac to OS X from OS 9 was horrid - sure, it did all sorts of useful stuff, but overall it was much slower and frequently ran out of memory.)

As the Mountain Lion requirement of 2gb is the same as Lion, maybe things will be ok.
Lion was really weird on my Late 2011 MacBook Pro, a HUGE upgrade Mountain Lion is. So if you're currently having issues, you might be better off with ML. One day Lion literally rendered my OS X install useless for whatever reason and I had to start over again, no issues on ML this far in.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:18 PM   #5
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

Volunteers = Jefferson Airplane (1969)
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:19 AM   #6
ggulliver
macrumors member

Thanks, everyone. Appreciated.
Upgrade done; it appears faster, certainly isn't slower, no out-of-memory problems.
ggulliver is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:26 AM   #7
nightlong
macrumors 6502a

Upgraded my late 2007 iMac today, from Snow Leopard to ML. Seems okay so far. Has 4GB RAM.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store