Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2001
I have some older Illustrator files (and maybe some FreeHand files as well) that I'd like to open with CS6.

Is there a converter application that can do this for me?

Or must I install the older versions?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I have some older Illustrator files (and maybe some FreeHand files as well) that I'd like to open with CS6.

Is there a converter application that can do this for me?

Or must I install the older versions?

You will definitely not be able to open the Freehand files. They removed this feature in CS6. I know it worked in CS5. I have ai files that go back to CS2 and have no problem opening with CS6. Hope this helps some.

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2001
You will definitely not be able to open the Freehand files. They removed this feature in CS6. I know it worked in CS5. I have ai files that go back to CS2 and have no problem opening with CS6. Hope this helps some.

Thanks for the answer. However, I'm not able to open older (ie <CS4) Illustrator files with CS6. I have read about others that have this problem as well, and my impression was that this was intentional from Adobe?

Hmm, I think I have to install OS X10.4 together with FreeHand MX and CS4 on an older Mac.... *sigh*

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Thanks for the answer. However, I'm not able to open older (ie <CS4) Illustrator files with CS6. I have read about others that have this problem as well, and my impression was that this was intentional from Adobe?

Hmm, I think I have to install OS X10.4 together with FreeHand MX and CS4 on an older Mac.... *sigh*

Unfortunately. At least you still have a solution, where as some peolple don't. CS6 has been a bit of a problem for a lot of people. I have my own issues with it. For the most part still okay. But I still have CS4, 5 & 5.5 around to help me with the odd problem.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
Unfortunately. At least you still have a solution, where as some peolple don't. CS6 has been a bit of a problem for a lot of people. I have my own issues with it. For the most part still okay. But I still have CS4, 5 & 5.5 around to help me with the odd problem.
I still have illustrator 8 running, and frankly that was as good as illustrator ever got.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.