Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pngwyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
I just received my 3TB external hard drive for my iMac running Mountain Lion. I'm considering partitioning the drive into a HFS+ and a NTFS, but I'd rather have it all on one partition so I could access the same files on both OSX and Windows via Bootcamp.

I found there are a few programs like Tuxera, Paragon, and NTFS3G that will help allow OSX to read/write to NTFS drives, but how reliable are they? Can I expect my data to be 100% safe? Is it any more likely to cause issues than using a separate partitioned drive?

Any input is appreciated thanks!

nightmars

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
Germany
I used NTFS3G from 2008 to 2010 and have been using Tuxera since I got my MB Air in 2010. I have never had any problems with both. Can't comment on Paragon though,

Cheers

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... It allows me to write to Windows drives on the network, which is everyone else.
No. An NTFS driver such as Paragon NTFS or NTFS-3G allows a Mac to write to directly-attached NTFS volumes. For network volumes, a client-side NTFS driver is not necessary. The Windows networking protocol is built-in to OS X. The server handles file system issues, not the client.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I found there are a few programs like Tuxera, Paragon, and NTFS3G that will help allow OSX to read/write to NTFS drives, but how reliable are they?
Some have reported problems with Tuxera. Paragon is the only one I'd recommend.

Format A Hard Drive Using Disk Utility (which is in your /Applications/Utilities folder)

Choose the appropriate format:

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
    • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon ($19.95) (Best Choice for Lion and Mountain Lion)
    • For Mac OS X 10.5 and later, including Lion, FUSE for OS X
    • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36), which is an enhanced version of NTFS-3G with faster performance.
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and later versions, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
  • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

exFAT (FAT64)
  • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
  • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
  • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
  • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
  • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
  • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
    [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
  • Maximum volume size: 2TB
  • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

jpxdude

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2006
Tuxera works on ML, but annoyingly when active, the Bootcamp option disappears from the Startup in Sys Prefs. Can still boot into Windows fine holding the option key though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.