Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hakuna-matata

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
I have listed my iphone 4s for sale on ebay still under warranty by Apple. A buyer sent me a msg that he's interested and asking for model, serial and imei no- all three. Is it safe to pass him all these details. I have sent him model and serial and asked why does he require IMEI no? No reply yet..:confused:

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I have listed my iphone 4s for sale on ebay still under warranty by Apple. A buyer sent me a msg that he's interested and asking for model, serial and imei no- all three. Is it safe to pass him all these details. I have sent him model and serial and asked why does he require IMEI no? No reply yet..:confused:

I had a buyer ask me that too when I sold my iPhone 4S. My buyer said he needed it to get the phone unlocked. I told him that as soon as he paid the money I would send him the number. And when he paid I emailed him the IMEI. He actually had it unlocked before I even sent it to him.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I think IMEIs can be used to make sure a phone isn't reported as stolen so there might be a legitimate reason for asking about it. Not sure why he'd want the other info unless, like pooleman said, he wants to unlock the phone after he buys it, in which case he doesn't need it unless he wins the auction and pays you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.