Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:21 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iCade Jr. Arcade Controller Discounted to $9.99

ThinkGeek has discounted the iCade Jr. Mini Arcade Cabinet for iPhone to only $9.99. That represents 80% off its normal price of $49.99.

The iCade Jr. was originally launched in January 2012 at CES. It represents a smaller iPhone/iPod Touch sized version of the original iPad-sized iCade. Like its big brother, the iCade Jr. connects to your iPhone or iPod Touch using Bluetooth. This model was originally designed to fit the iPhone 4/4S and 4th Generation iPod touch form factors, but is said to work with the iPhone 5 "if you leave the top lid hinged back".

The controller has an arcade stick, four front and rear buttons and works with existing iCade-compatible games.

Article Link: iCade Jr. Arcade Controller Discounted to $9.99
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:27 PM   #2
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Does anyone own this? Is it worth it?

The picture makes it look awkwardly small... How much of a step up can it really be from on screen controls?
ArtOfWarfare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:32 PM   #3
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Does anyone own this? Is it worth it?

The picture makes it look awkwardly small... How much of a step up can it really be from on screen controls?
I've played with it before, but don't own one. I do own an icade mobile. Overall, it's "ok". I don't use it that much.

But for $9.99? It's probably worth it if you have any interest in any old retro games that were designed to work with a digital controller (left/right/up/down).

arn
arn is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:13 AM   #4
Moshe1010
macrumors 6502a

I guess it's one of these things that you buy it, play with it 30min and then put it somewhere you don't remember. So eventually, it's a waste of $10 ($16 actually, including shipping).
Moshe1010 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:17 AM   #5
OriginalMacRat
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe1010 View Post
I guess it's one of these things that you buy it, play with it 30min and then put it somewhere you don't remember. So eventually, it's a waste of $10 ($16 actually, including shipping).
My thoughts as well.

Makes me wonder if they have stopped making it and this price is just to clean out inventory.
OriginalMacRat is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:22 AM   #6
kny3twalker
macrumors 65816

99% of the compatible games suck
kny3twalker is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:06 AM   #7
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker View Post
You may haven't played any of them, have you? There are a lot of excellent titles - Metal Slug 1 (OK, it requires landscape mode but is still playable) and the like.

----------

Have just ordered four controllers for me and relatives - had to pay $38 for the shipping here in Finland.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post
My thoughts as well.

Makes me wonder if they have stopped making it and this price is just to clean out inventory.
While it's not the iCade Jr but the iControlPad, I've played several games thru via it. If you're seriously into gaming, physical controllers are a must.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:09 AM   #8
deathw
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Agreed
deathw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:25 AM   #9
blackcrayon
macrumors 65816

For $10 it might be worth it if you like hardware hacking and just want a tiny Bluetooth joystick for fun projects...
blackcrayon is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:24 AM   #10
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030

Quote:
This.

It only works with games that have added iCade support. Most of the ones that have are games you've never heard of and once you've played them, you'll understand WHY they weren't on the radar.
ReallyBigFeet is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:31 AM   #11
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
I have the large iCade I got for a round $30 when Kohls had a clearance sale. I do use it from time to time. I actually ordered the iCade Jr. just now. Since I upgraded to an iPhone 5 my iPhone 4 is just sitting here. So I can see myself jailbreaking it and putting some fun emulated games on there.

Even without an iPhone in it would be a cool accessory to have on my desk... even in the office. For $15 shipped it's not a bad deal at all.
LimeiBook86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:59 PM   #12
Biff...
macrumors 6502

anybody know if this can be used with an iphone 3g?
Biff... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:40 PM   #13
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff... View Post
anybody know if this can be used with an iphone 3g?
I was wondering this as well. I'm not sure, I tried to look on the ION website here: http://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/icadejr but I didn't find anything useful. I would assume since it's Bluetooth it may work, as long as the iPhone 3G fit into the case...

If it helps when I receive mine I'll give it a try.
LimeiBook86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:30 PM   #14
KdParker
macrumors 68040

Still to much...maybe will keep if given to me for free
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:57 AM   #15
chrono1081
macrumors 604

I ordered one so I'll let everyone know once it arrives
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:51 AM   #16
MrXiro
macrumors 68030

Seems like a waste of money to me for functionality, it's so small, I can't see it being very usable.

Would be a great kitschy little design piece to have on your desk though. You'd surely get some comments from coming into your office and seeing this thing.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:47 PM   #17
Ngorkes
macrumors member

Can I use my iPhone 5 with it in portrait mode?

Last edited by Ngorkes; Jan 1, 2013 at 04:10 PM.
Ngorkes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:16 AM   #18
cfs112
macrumors member

I have one. Its good for the novelty factor, but once that dies out (in a few days) its as good as a paper weight. It becomes more of a hassle to put it in to play games. I guess I'm just too impatient, when I do have time to play games on my iPhone, I don't like having set-up time. Just my opinion on this. I also have the Fling joystick for iPad and iPhone. They don't work too well... just play using the screen as intended.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:04 AM   #19
rmwebs
Banned

Meh. Waste of money.

Poor support for games. Clearly piss poor sales. Most likely a clearance sale to get rid of the remaining inventory before it vanishes.
rmwebs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:44 AM   #20
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
Meh. Waste of money.

Poor support for games. Clearly piss poor sales. Most likely a clearance sale to get rid of the remaining inventory before it vanishes.
Looking at the list of games, I'd hardly call that piss poor support. If you count all the separate titles in the anthologies, it runs on well over a hundred games easily.

Though I couldn't imagine this being popular for the iPhone. It's better suited to the iPad if you ask me.
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:04 AM   #21
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Looking at the list of games, I'd hardly call that piss poor support. If you count all the separate titles in the anthologies, it runs on well over a hundred games easily.

Though I couldn't imagine this being popular for the iPhone. It's better suited to the iPad if you ask me.
Out of the list of games on offer, none really stand out as being amazingly good, or in many cases dont seem to really need something like this.

I agree that the iPad version is better suited. For an iPhone/iTouch it seems pretty pointless however.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:16 PM   #22
MountainApple
macrumors newbie

Actually, it's now $14.99!
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f12f/
Are MacRumors and ThinkGeek in cahoots?
MountainApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:33 PM   #23
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
Out of the list of games on offer, none really stand out as being amazingly good, or in many cases dont seem to really need something like this.
I guess it depends on how big you are into older arcade games. Having the Midway and Atari arcade collections in there is about enough to convince me to buy one. Add in Metal Slug 3 and the new Raiden pack that just came out a couple weeks back?

...hell, I'm honestly surprised I haven't picked one up already. I've been toying with the idea of grabbing the 8-Bitty. Think I might go ahead and do it.

Thanks for talking me into spending more money.

Quote:
I agree that the iPad version is better suited. For an iPhone/iTouch it seems pretty pointless however.
Yeah, I guess it'd be pretty interesting as a novelty. Though once you get past the "ooh, itty bitty arcade cabinet" aspect, there really aren't any advantages to getting it over the iPad rev.
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:44 AM   #24
tdiaz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainApple View Post
Actually, it's now $14.99!
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f12f/
I had added that and a few other things to my cart but never did anything with the order, two days later I refreshed the window and it was still there, in stock, and still $9.99 even though the product page was showing $14.99, and a few of the other items I had also selected had gone up, but not the line items in my cart. So I ordered it all. Got confirmation of the original amount. We'll see
tdiaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:55 AM   #25
NinjaKid
macrumors member

Price has gone up again

Now its at 19.29 and remember if your gonna get one it does not work on the Iphone 5 or the new Itouch devices.
NinjaKid is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion