Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Arnezie
macrumors 65816
 
Arnezie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
What do others do for accidental damage protection ?

AppleCare for MacBooks doesn't cover accidents so I was looking into other options. Square trade wants 399.99 for two years, is that reasonable? Do you have any experience with them? What else do people use to protect there MBP
Arnezie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:14 PM   #2
KPOM
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
I have a personal articles policy from my homeowners insurance company. It is $60/year with a $250 deductible. It covers theft, loss, and accidental damage. It came in handy earlier this month when I lost my MacBook Air while traveling.
KPOM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:18 PM   #3
Ricanlegend
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bronx,Ny
There are something credit card that offers some protection, I think American express cover 2 years for theft or damage you may want to google it cause I think discover does the same for some of there cards
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnezie View Post
AppleCare for MacBooks doesn't cover accidents so I was looking into other options. Square trade wants 399.99 for two years, is that reasonable? Do you have any experience with them? What else do people use to protect there MBP
Ricanlegend is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:22 PM   #4
GHouse
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Don't do stupid stuff with expensive equipment. That's the best damage protection there is.
GHouse is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Ccrew
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHouse View Post
Don't do stupid stuff with expensive equipment. That's the best damage protection there is.
Accidents do happen though, and I think that's what the OP is trying to cover. Way to start off on the forums.
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:25 PM   #6
Blondie :)
macrumors 6502a
 
Blondie :)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Prescott, AZ
Send a message via MSN to Blondie :) Send a message via Skype™ to Blondie :)
I bought my MBP through best buy. They offer accidental damage protection. From experience, they honor it quite well. I had a liquid spill on my first mac, took it into best buy. They sent it and determined that it was fully dead, and gave me a brand new MBP. Couldn't ask for more.
__________________
Life is short, party naked
13.3" Macbook Pro 2.3 GHz, 8GB RAM, 80 GB iPod Classic
Blondie :) is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:34 PM   #7
GHouse
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Accidents do happen though, and I think that's what the OP is trying to cover. Way to start off on the forums.
I do what I can.

You feel superior since you've wasted more time than me around here?

Though in all seriousness, not being a klutz with equipment that costs thousands of dollars is usually good advice.
GHouse is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:41 PM   #8
b3av3r
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to b3av3r Send a message via Yahoo to b3av3r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie :) View Post
I bought my MBP through best buy. They offer accidental damage protection. From experience, they honor it quite well. I had a liquid spill on my first mac, took it into best buy. They sent it and determined that it was fully dead, and gave me a brand new MBP. Couldn't ask for more.
Every laptop my gf has owned has had BestBuy accidental coverage because she drops everything. They send the item off for repair if the repair is less than the cost of the unit, might be a certain percentage of the unit's cost. If the repair is deemed too expensive they will give you a store credit for the original value of the unit including all taxes.

Typically you can go out to 3 years with this type of coverage. I think it is worth it in our case because my gf has a horrible history of destroying electronics. I haven't ever dropped or caused any damage to any of my laptops so I have passed on the accidental coverage.
b3av3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:45 PM   #9
8CoreWhore
macrumors 68000
 
8CoreWhore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Big D
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHouse View Post
I do what I can.

You feel superior since you've wasted more time than me around here?

Though in all seriousness, not being a klutz with equipment that costs thousands of dollars is usually good advice.
I hope you didn't join to troll...
__________________
Late 2013 Haswell 15" rMBP... 2011 13" MBP 2.3Ghz... iPhone 5S iOS7... AEBS 802.11AC ... iPod Shuffle... AppleTV2 (JB aTV Flash [Black] )
8CoreWhore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:11 PM   #10
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Excuse for upgrade!
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:29 PM   #11
GHouse
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post
I hope you didn't join to troll...
I didn't, but when has giving one's opinion been considered trolling?

You people are SO touchy. I've been lurking around here for years and have seen how you people treat "newbs". It's sad.
GHouse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:31 PM   #12
Ccrew
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHouse View Post
I didn't, but when has giving one's opinion been considered trolling?

You people are SO touchy. I've been lurking around here for years and have seen how you people treat "newbs". It's sad.
Not really sad. You seem especially deserving.
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:52 PM   #13
derek8314
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie :) View Post
I bought my MBP through best buy. They offer accidental damage protection. From experience, they honor it quite well. I had a liquid spill on my first mac, took it into best buy. They sent it and determined that it was fully dead, and gave me a brand new MBP. Couldn't ask for more.
I work at best buy and I recommend getting our protection plan through geek squad. It works pretty flawlessly in the fact that if they can't repair it, they will just give you another one with no charge. geek squad has their own website which you can buy protection plans from too.
derek8314 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:34 AM   #14
Arnezie
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Arnezie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHouse View Post
Don't do stupid stuff with expensive equipment. That's the best damage protection there is.
Cant wait to read your i dropped my macbook pro thread

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek8314 View Post
I work at best buy and I recommend getting our protection plan through geek squad. It works pretty flawlessly in the fact that if they can't repair it, they will just give you another one with no charge. geek squad has their own website which you can buy protection plans from too.
you cant get it if you bought it from somewhere else can you?
Arnezie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:48 AM   #15
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnezie View Post
you cant get it if you bought it from somewhere else can you?
Doesn't look like it:
http://www.geeksquad.com/protection-...computing.aspx

Quote:
HOW TO PURCHASE

ONLINE
Purchase on BestBuy.com when you place any qualifying products into your cart and checkout.

IN-STORE
Purchase with any qualifying products at Best Buy locations or anytime within the product's return period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHouse View Post
That's the best damage protection there is.
Best is always highly subjective. If that works for you, great. It's clearly not what the OP is after.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:22 PM   #16
Blondie :)
macrumors 6502a
 
Blondie :)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Prescott, AZ
Send a message via MSN to Blondie :) Send a message via Skype™ to Blondie :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnezie View Post
you cant get it if you bought it from somewhere else can you?
Not that I'm aware of. Pretty sure it has to be bought through best buy since geek squad is a division of best buy.
__________________
Life is short, party naked
13.3" Macbook Pro 2.3 GHz, 8GB RAM, 80 GB iPod Classic
Blondie :) is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:45 PM   #17
runebinder
macrumors 6502a
 
runebinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nottingham, UK
Got accidental cover on my current Mac and will be getting it when I buy a rMBP next month. As I travel a fair bit with mine it's worth the cost for the peace of mind, knowing I won't have to face a large repair cost if something were to happen in transit.

Take it 399 is in American Dollars? If so it equates to about 246 so roughly 10 per month which is a little bit less than what I am paying currently. If you travel a lot or have you tend to take tour Mac with you then would likely be worth it.

You can be ultra careful with your stuff and make sure you do not cause it any damage, the problem is that you have no control over the other people if you are on a train, in a coffee shop etc.
__________________
15" 2012 Retina MacBook Pro i7 2.3GHz/8GB/256GB 10.8.5

iPhone 5s 32GB Space Grey iOS 7.0.2
runebinder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:36 PM   #18
Ccrew
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I see GHouse quickly made the banned list. Not too surprised.

OP, as far as accidental protection regardless of where it was purchased, it's a rider on an existing policy like homeowners or renters insurance, or Square Trade are probably your best bets.
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:24 PM   #19
bogatyr
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricanlegend View Post
There are something credit card that offers some protection, I think American express cover 2 years for theft or damage you may want to google it cause I think discover does the same for some of there cards
Amex covers 90 days.

Best bet and best price is going to be homeowner's/renter's rider.
bogatyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:27 AM   #20
Ricanlegend
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bronx,Ny
Again it depends on the card here's a direct quote Extend Your Warranty - Extended Warranty1 can extend the terms of the original U.S. manufacturer's warranty for up to one additional year on eligible purchases with warranties of 5 years or less, when the eligible purchase is charged to the Card. Here's the website I got the quote from https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits/extended-warranty.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogatyr View Post
Amex covers 90 days.

Best bet and best price is going to be homeowner's/renter's rider.
Ricanlegend is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:20 AM   #21
Pyromonkey83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
I, like the first responder, got a Personal Articles policy from my homeowners insurance (State Farm). It costs me $55 per year for a $3000 policy on my rMBP with no deductible. I also had the same policy on my first 15" MBP (for $2000 of coverage, no deductible) I got in 2008.

When the display crapped out I reported it to my insurance company and was paid $650 for the repair (the cost through the Genius Bar). About a year or so later my wife accidentally closed a pen inside of the laptop and damaged the screen again. It also dented the top of the laptop and we also began having issues with the hinge. Apple quoted us $1300 and instead State Farm decided to close out the policy with a $1850 check and told us to buy a new laptop. Hence why I now have a retina. =D
Pyromonkey83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:32 AM   #22
Arnezie
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Arnezie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromonkey83 View Post
I, like the first responder, got a Personal Articles policy from my homeowners insurance (State Farm). It costs me $55 per year for a $3000 policy on my rMBP with no deductible. I also had the same policy on my first 15" MBP (for $2000 of coverage, no deductible) I got in 2008.

When the display crapped out I reported it to my insurance company and was paid $650 for the repair (the cost through the Genius Bar). About a year or so later my wife accidentally closed a pen inside of the laptop and damaged the screen again. It also dented the top of the laptop and we also began having issues with the hinge. Apple quoted us $1300 and instead State Farm decided to close out the policy with a $1850 check and told us to buy a new laptop. Hence why I now have a retina. =D
WOW im going to call my homeowners
Arnezie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:10 AM   #23
Ccrew
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricanlegend View Post
Again it depends on the card here's a direct quote • Extend Your Warranty - Extended Warranty1 can extend the terms of the original U.S. manufacturer's warranty for up to one additional year on eligible purchases with warranties of 5 years or less, when the eligible purchase is charged to the Card. Here's the website I got the quote from https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...-warranty.html
That's an extended warranty though. I'm thinking it's an extension of regular warranty which provides no accidental damage?

Drawback to covering it on a homeowners policy then claiming every nick and scratch however is that the insurance companies can and will drop homeowners coverage for excessive #'s of claims.
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:53 AM   #24
bogatyr
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricanlegend View Post
Again it depends on the card here's a direct quote Extend Your Warranty - Extended Warranty1 can extend the terms of the original U.S. manufacturer's warranty for up to one additional year on eligible purchases with warranties of 5 years or less, when the eligible purchase is charged to the Card. Here's the website I got the quote from https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...-warranty.html
Warranty != Accidental coverage. They are two different features of the cards. Warranty covers manufacturer defects.

The other coverage, which only lasts 90 days from purchase, covers accidental damage and theft.

Both require original receipts - don't forget to save them.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Drawback to covering it on a homeowners policy then claiming every nick and scratch however is that the insurance companies can and will drop homeowners coverage for excessive #'s of claims.
Only claim issues that actually prevent the laptop from functioning. i.e. drops, spills, damaged display. Cosmetic items you don't claim. I would hope there aren't many major issues that someone would have to claim for a $3000 laptop.

Between our four year old, our Newfoundland and my clutzy gf, I've yet to have real damage done to any of my laptops. Just some drool on the display and keyboard (I use a moshi cover).
bogatyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:13 PM   #25
desmotesta
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I for one ONLY purchase items I can afford to replace without needing a warranty/insurance (minus the house and cars).

That is why I had to wait a few years before I could justify a $2500 laptop that did nothing much better than a $750 PC laptop. For me macbook pro was a WANT, a WANT I ONLY wanted to buy when I could truly afford it.



just my .02 cents
__________________
"Buy/Own what you can afford to repair and replace and NOT something you can only afford to purchase"
desmotesta is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC