Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:43 PM   #1
danny_w
macrumors 601

Getting tired of Apple server requirement for ATV

It just happened again tonight, now I can't access anything on my ATV2. I was watching a movie on Netflix when it just stopped, just like I pressed the menu button. I hate how Apple has designed the ATV to require access to Apple servers before anything (even local content) will work! What a stupid decision! Oh well it will probably be back up by the time I get back downstairs but I just had to rant.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:12 PM   #2
musicpenguy
macrumors 6502a

Um it doesn't - watching content now on a no Internet version of WiFi - over AirPlay - Netflix will work only if your Internet connection is active. Not an Apple issue - sounds like you have connectivity issues
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:33 PM   #3
mmomega
macrumors Demi-God

That happen to be a JB aTV2?
3x AEBS 802.11ac, 5x AppleTV
mmomega is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:08 AM   #4
marzer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_w View Post
It just happened again tonight, now I can't access anything on my ATV2. I was watching a movie on Netflix when it just stopped, just like I pressed the menu button. I hate how Apple has designed the ATV to require access to Apple servers before anything (even local content) will work! What a stupid decision! Oh well it will probably be back up by the time I get back downstairs but I just had to rant.
Playing netflix has nothing to do with apple servers. If your netflix dropped it was most likely due to an issue with netflix servers or perhaps an issue with your internet service.
marzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:31 AM   #5
danny_w
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicpenguy View Post
Um it doesn't - watching content now on a no Internet version of WiFi - over AirPlay - Netflix will work only if your Internet connection is active. Not an Apple issue - sounds like you have connectivity issues
Look again - I didn't say anything about Airplay did I? There are plenty of other threads on this forum about this same issue. The ATV (NOT jailbroken) can stream your iTunes music, video, podcasts, etc., play Netflix content, Youtube content, etc., but ONLY if the ATV can connect to the Apple servers. If the Apple servers happen to go down, so does your streaming. I am not making this up, check it out. If the ATV cannot connect to Apple then the ATV becomes useless (except maybe for Airplay, I don't know). You can have a solid network and internet connection but that does not matter. Again, stupid design. And I love my ATV but this is getting to be too much.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzer View Post
Playing netflix has nothing to do with apple servers. If your netflix dropped it was most likely due to an issue with netflix servers or perhaps an issue with your internet service.
Playing Netflix directly on the ATV (not over Airplay) has everything to do with Apple servers. Search is your friend.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Look again - I didn't say anything about Airplay did I? There are plenty of other threads on this forum about this same issue. The ATV (NOT jailbroken) can stream your iTunes music, video, podcasts, etc., play Netflix content, Youtube content, etc., but ONLY if the ATV can connect to the Apple servers. If the Apple servers happen to go down, so does your streaming. I am not making this up, check it out. If the ATV cannot connect to Apple then the ATV becomes useless (except maybe for Airplay, I don't know). You can have a solid network and internet connection but that does not matter. Again, stupid design. And I love my ATV but this is getting to be too much.[COLOR="#808080"]
Except for Netflix and Youtube, you don't even need internet. I've done it, so I know 1st had. A few times my internet went out and we just watched movies streaming from the Mac Mini to the Apple TV.
Primejimbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:30 PM   #7
silverboy31
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primejimbo View Post
Except for Netflix and Youtube, you don't even need internet. I've done it, so I know 1st had. A few times my internet went out and we just watched movies streaming from the Mac Mini to the Apple TV.
. True my Internet was down for a few days .. Can still stream from computer to Apple TV no problems over wireless router to Apple TV ...

----------

Quote:
Look again - I didn't say anything about Airplay did I? There are plenty of other threads on this forum about this same issue. The ATV (NOT jailbroken) can stream your iTunes music, video, podcasts, etc., play Netflix content, Youtube content, etc., but ONLY if the ATV can connect to the Apple servers. If the Apple servers happen to go down, so does your streaming. I am not making this up, check it out. If the ATV cannot connect to Apple then the ATV becomes useless (except maybe for Airplay, I don't know). You can have a solid network and internet connection but that does not matter. Again, stupid design. And I love my ATV but this is getting to be too much.

----------

Playing Netflix directly on the ATV (not over Airplay) has everything to do with Apple servers. Search is your friend.
Search is your friend too
silverboy31 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:50 PM   #8
esmith2039
macrumors newbie

Funny yours stopped about the same time as mine last night. Although not sure if it's related. It will also stop while streaming from the mini. Need to run a CAT6 to it and I think it'll solve the issue.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:17 PM   #9
BigAudio
macrumors member

Running Cat6 to it is overkill. The apple tv only supports 100Mb ethernet, no gigabit. Hard wiring it will help with load times, and stability, but you can do that with cat 5.
BigAudio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:04 PM   #10
d21mike
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAudio View Post
Running Cat6 to it is overkill. The apple tv only supports 100Mb ethernet, no gigabit. Hard wiring it will help with load times, and stability, but you can do that with cat 5.
Run CAT6 because the cost difference is very little and at some point in the future you will want GB Ethernet.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:36 PM   #11
mmomega
macrumors Demi-God

Like others have mentioned, I know for a fact that the aTV does not HAVE to be connected to any Apple server to work.

My wife and I go RV'ing quite a bit and I have taken my Mac Mini + External Hard Drive + Airport Extreme to set up a WiFi network and Home Sharing, works like a champ with zero connection to the outside world, this is across an aTV2 and 3.

Also, if you're buying in bulk, CAT5 = $75/1000' , CAT5E = $80/1000' or CAT6 = $106/1000'

IMO, I'd run the CAT6 and be done with it, if Apple updates their devices to gigabit at a later point you're good.

CAT6 is good for gigabit to 10gigabit, CAT5E for gigabit, CAT5 for 1000Mbit
3x AEBS 802.11ac, 5x AppleTV
mmomega is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:22 PM   #12
esmith2039
macrumors newbie

The reasoning for CAT6.. already have it! Let's just say it was a demo job at work and my house is the trash can. Good to know the ATV is only 100Mb although it does connect a bit faster versus wireless. I hate wireless if I can avoid it I will.. setup and ran a wireless ISP once. Used to have nightmares..
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:13 AM   #13
jwhazel
macrumors regular

Quote:
Playing Netflix directly on the ATV (not over Airplay) has everything to do with Apple servers.
Why do you think the ATV has to be connected to Apple servers to play 3rd party content? What sense does that make for anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_w
Search is your friend.
Search is your friend too.
http://sitedown.co/netflix
http://www.zdnet.com/netflix-suffers...et-7000009251/
jwhazel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 02:52 PM   #14
awair
macrumors member

I'll admit to just being confused, rather than knowledgeable, but I'm with the OP mostly.

Quote:
Why do you think the ATV has to be connected to Apple servers to play 3rd party content? What sense does that make for anyone
Dynamic menus: menu items appear/disappear 'at whim', when Apple servers dictate whether the content should be available. The items (that i've seen disappear) include Movies, TV Shows & Music, as well as Hulu, Netflix, and the Apple presentations. The only item that remains with loss of connectivity is for Computers (ie local content).

I would love to see a better explanation of why/how this works.
awair is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater