Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:43 PM   #1
danny_w
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Getting tired of Apple server requirement for ATV

It just happened again tonight, now I can't access anything on my ATV2. I was watching a movie on Netflix when it just stopped, just like I pressed the menu button. I hate how Apple has designed the ATV to require access to Apple servers before anything (even local content) will work! What a stupid decision! Oh well it will probably be back up by the time I get back downstairs but I just had to rant.
__________________
2012 Mac Mini i7 2.3 GHz Samsung 840 ssd 10.8.5, LG G2 KitKat & iPhone 4 (T-Mobile) 6.1, TV2 (2), iPad2 16GB, iPad Air 16GB
danny_w is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:12 PM   #2
musicpenguy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Um it doesn't - watching content now on a no Internet version of WiFi - over AirPlay - Netflix will work only if your Internet connection is active. Not an Apple issue - sounds like you have connectivity issues
__________________
(2006: 17" MBP, Rev A: MBA Sold), 2009 Mac Mini, MBA 1.4GHz, 2GB, 128GB, 11" - iPad 64GB 3G, eMate 300, MP2100, 2G 8GB iPhone, 3G 16GB iPhone, 3G&6G Nano, 2G Shuffle, 160GB TV, TV-V2 - TPPN.TV
musicpenguy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:33 PM   #3
mmomega
macrumors Demi-God
 
mmomega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: DFW, TX
That happen to be a JB aTV2?
__________________
2013 iMac 27" i7, 32GBRAM, GTX780M, 256GB Flash, VESA, Yosemite
2012 Mac Mini Server w/ 23TB Storage
iPad Air 32GB, iPhone 6+ Gold 128GB, iPad Mini 16GB
3x AEBS 802.11ac, 5x AppleTV
mmomega is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:08 AM   #4
marzer
macrumors 65816
 
marzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_w View Post
It just happened again tonight, now I can't access anything on my ATV2. I was watching a movie on Netflix when it just stopped, just like I pressed the menu button. I hate how Apple has designed the ATV to require access to Apple servers before anything (even local content) will work! What a stupid decision! Oh well it will probably be back up by the time I get back downstairs but I just had to rant.
Playing netflix has nothing to do with apple servers. If your netflix dropped it was most likely due to an issue with netflix servers or perhaps an issue with your internet service.
marzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:31 AM   #5
danny_w
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicpenguy View Post
Um it doesn't - watching content now on a no Internet version of WiFi - over AirPlay - Netflix will work only if your Internet connection is active. Not an Apple issue - sounds like you have connectivity issues
Look again - I didn't say anything about Airplay did I? There are plenty of other threads on this forum about this same issue. The ATV (NOT jailbroken) can stream your iTunes music, video, podcasts, etc., play Netflix content, Youtube content, etc., but ONLY if the ATV can connect to the Apple servers. If the Apple servers happen to go down, so does your streaming. I am not making this up, check it out. If the ATV cannot connect to Apple then the ATV becomes useless (except maybe for Airplay, I don't know). You can have a solid network and internet connection but that does not matter. Again, stupid design. And I love my ATV but this is getting to be too much.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzer View Post
Playing netflix has nothing to do with apple servers. If your netflix dropped it was most likely due to an issue with netflix servers or perhaps an issue with your internet service.
Playing Netflix directly on the ATV (not over Airplay) has everything to do with Apple servers. Search is your friend.
__________________
2012 Mac Mini i7 2.3 GHz Samsung 840 ssd 10.8.5, LG G2 KitKat & iPhone 4 (T-Mobile) 6.1, TV2 (2), iPad2 16GB, iPad Air 16GB
danny_w is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Around
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_w View Post
Look again - I didn't say anything about Airplay did I? There are plenty of other threads on this forum about this same issue. The ATV (NOT jailbroken) can stream your iTunes music, video, podcasts, etc., play Netflix content, Youtube content, etc., but ONLY if the ATV can connect to the Apple servers. If the Apple servers happen to go down, so does your streaming. I am not making this up, check it out. If the ATV cannot connect to Apple then the ATV becomes useless (except maybe for Airplay, I don't know). You can have a solid network and internet connection but that does not matter. Again, stupid design. And I love my ATV but this is getting to be too much.[COLOR="#808080"]
Except for Netflix and Youtube, you don't even need internet. I've done it, so I know 1st had. A few times my internet went out and we just watched movies streaming from the Mac Mini to the Apple TV.
Primejimbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:30 PM   #7
silverboy31
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stoney creek , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primejimbo View Post
Except for Netflix and Youtube, you don't even need internet. I've done it, so I know 1st had. A few times my internet went out and we just watched movies streaming from the Mac Mini to the Apple TV.
. True my Internet was down for a few days .. Can still stream from computer to Apple TV no problems over wireless router to Apple TV ...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_w View Post
Look again - I didn't say anything about Airplay did I? There are plenty of other threads on this forum about this same issue. The ATV (NOT jailbroken) can stream your iTunes music, video, podcasts, etc., play Netflix content, Youtube content, etc., but ONLY if the ATV can connect to the Apple servers. If the Apple servers happen to go down, so does your streaming. I am not making this up, check it out. If the ATV cannot connect to Apple then the ATV becomes useless (except maybe for Airplay, I don't know). You can have a solid network and internet connection but that does not matter. Again, stupid design. And I love my ATV but this is getting to be too much.

----------


Playing Netflix directly on the ATV (not over Airplay) has everything to do with Apple servers. Search is your friend.
Search is your friend too
silverboy31 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:50 PM   #8
esmith2039
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Funny yours stopped about the same time as mine last night. Although not sure if it's related. It will also stop while streaming from the mini. Need to run a CAT6 to it and I think it'll solve the issue.
__________________
Mac Mini late 2012 i7 - LG 32LK450 - 2 iPhone 4
esmith2039 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:17 PM   #9
BigAudio
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Running Cat6 to it is overkill. The apple tv only supports 100Mb ethernet, no gigabit. Hard wiring it will help with load times, and stability, but you can do that with cat 5.
BigAudio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:04 PM   #10
d21mike
macrumors 68020
 
d21mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Torrance, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAudio View Post
Running Cat6 to it is overkill. The apple tv only supports 100Mb ethernet, no gigabit. Hard wiring it will help with load times, and stability, but you can do that with cat 5.
Run CAT6 because the cost difference is very little and at some point in the future you will want GB Ethernet.
__________________
Mike
d21mike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:36 PM   #11
mmomega
macrumors Demi-God
 
mmomega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Like others have mentioned, I know for a fact that the aTV does not HAVE to be connected to any Apple server to work.

My wife and I go RV'ing quite a bit and I have taken my Mac Mini + External Hard Drive + Airport Extreme to set up a WiFi network and Home Sharing, works like a champ with zero connection to the outside world, this is across an aTV2 and 3.



Also, if you're buying in bulk, CAT5 = $75/1000' , CAT5E = $80/1000' or CAT6 = $106/1000'

IMO, I'd run the CAT6 and be done with it, if Apple updates their devices to gigabit at a later point you're good.

CAT6 is good for gigabit to 10gigabit, CAT5E for gigabit, CAT5 for 1000Mbit
__________________
2013 iMac 27" i7, 32GBRAM, GTX780M, 256GB Flash, VESA, Yosemite
2012 Mac Mini Server w/ 23TB Storage
iPad Air 32GB, iPhone 6+ Gold 128GB, iPad Mini 16GB
3x AEBS 802.11ac, 5x AppleTV
mmomega is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:22 PM   #12
esmith2039
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
The reasoning for CAT6.. already have it! Let's just say it was a demo job at work and my house is the trash can. Good to know the ATV is only 100Mb although it does connect a bit faster versus wireless. I hate wireless if I can avoid it I will.. setup and ran a wireless ISP once. Used to have nightmares..
__________________
Mac Mini late 2012 i7 - LG 32LK450 - 2 iPhone 4
esmith2039 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:13 AM   #13
jwhazel
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_w View Post
Playing Netflix directly on the ATV (not over Airplay) has everything to do with Apple servers.
Why do you think the ATV has to be connected to Apple servers to play 3rd party content? What sense does that make for anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_w
Search is your friend.
Search is your friend too.
http://sitedown.co/netflix
http://www.zdnet.com/netflix-suffers...et-7000009251/
jwhazel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 02:52 PM   #14
awair
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
I'll admit to just being confused, rather than knowledgeable, but I'm with the OP mostly.

Quote:
Why do you think the ATV has to be connected to Apple servers to play 3rd party content? What sense does that make for anyone
Dynamic menus: menu items appear/disappear 'at whim', when Apple servers dictate whether the content should be available. The items (that i've seen disappear) include Movies, TV Shows & Music, as well as Hulu, Netflix, and the Apple presentations. The only item that remains with loss of connectivity is for Computers (ie local content).

I would love to see a better explanation of why/how this works.
awair is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Age Requirement to Work in an Apple Store and Coaching Please? (Louisville Area) BMNEUR Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 4 Aug 2, 2013 02:46 PM
General: Android vs. Apple - aren't you guys ever getting tired of this? Jibbajabba Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 46 Jun 23, 2013 12:50 PM
apple tv1 windows requirement rfmdr417 Apple TV and Home Theater 1 May 29, 2013 04:21 AM
i'm sick and tired of waiting on an Apple branded TV! animatedude Apple TV and Home Theater 54 Feb 25, 2013 08:25 AM
Media server alternative - Boxee/ATV/Roku? Odok Apple TV and Home Theater 0 Nov 18, 2012 12:55 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC