Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
It just happened again tonight, now I can't access anything on my ATV2. I was watching a movie on Netflix when it just stopped, just like I pressed the menu button. I hate how Apple has designed the ATV to require access to Apple servers before anything (even local content) will work! What a stupid decision! Oh well it will probably be back up by the time I get back downstairs but I just had to rant. :mad: :mad: :mad:

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Um it doesn't - watching content now on a no Internet version of WiFi - over AirPlay - Netflix will work only if your Internet connection is active. Not an Apple issue - sounds like you have connectivity issues

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
It just happened again tonight, now I can't access anything on my ATV2. I was watching a movie on Netflix when it just stopped, just like I pressed the menu button. I hate how Apple has designed the ATV to require access to Apple servers before anything (even local content) will work! What a stupid decision! Oh well it will probably be back up by the time I get back downstairs but I just had to rant. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Playing netflix has nothing to do with apple servers. If your netflix dropped it was most likely due to an issue with netflix servers or perhaps an issue with your internet service.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Um it doesn't - watching content now on a no Internet version of WiFi - over AirPlay - Netflix will work only if your Internet connection is active. Not an Apple issue - sounds like you have connectivity issues
Look again - I didn't say anything about Airplay did I? There are plenty of other threads on this forum about this same issue. The ATV (NOT jailbroken) can stream your iTunes music, video, podcasts, etc., play Netflix content, Youtube content, etc., but ONLY if the ATV can connect to the Apple servers. If the Apple servers happen to go down, so does your streaming. I am not making this up, check it out. If the ATV cannot connect to Apple then the ATV becomes useless (except maybe for Airplay, I don't know). You can have a solid network and internet connection but that does not matter. Again, stupid design. And I love my ATV but this is getting to be too much.

----------

Playing netflix has nothing to do with apple servers. If your netflix dropped it was most likely due to an issue with netflix servers or perhaps an issue with your internet service.
Playing Netflix directly on the ATV (not over Airplay) has everything to do with Apple servers. Search is your friend.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Look again - I didn't say anything about Airplay did I? There are plenty of other threads on this forum about this same issue. The ATV (NOT jailbroken) can stream your iTunes music, video, podcasts, etc., play Netflix content, Youtube content, etc., but ONLY if the ATV can connect to the Apple servers. If the Apple servers happen to go down, so does your streaming. I am not making this up, check it out. If the ATV cannot connect to Apple then the ATV becomes useless (except maybe for Airplay, I don't know). You can have a solid network and internet connection but that does not matter. Again, stupid design. And I love my ATV but this is getting to be too much.

Except for Netflix and Youtube, you don't even need internet. I've done it, so I know 1st had. A few times my internet went out and we just watched movies streaming from the Mac Mini to the Apple TV.

silverboy31

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2007
Stoney creek , Canada
Except for Netflix and Youtube, you don't even need internet. I've done it, so I know 1st had. A few times my internet went out and we just watched movies streaming from the Mac Mini to the Apple TV.
. True my Internet was down for a few days .. Can still stream from computer to Apple TV no problems over wireless router to Apple TV ...

----------

----------

Playing Netflix directly on the ATV (not over Airplay) has everything to do with Apple servers. Search is your friend.

Search is your friend too :)

esmith2039

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
Funny yours stopped about the same time as mine last night. Although not sure if it's related. It will also stop while streaming from the mini. Need to run a CAT6 to it and I think it'll solve the issue.

BigAudio

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
Running Cat6 to it is overkill. The apple tv only supports 100Mb ethernet, no gigabit. Hard wiring it will help with load times, and stability, but you can do that with cat 5.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Running Cat6 to it is overkill. The apple tv only supports 100Mb ethernet, no gigabit. Hard wiring it will help with load times, and stability, but you can do that with cat 5.
Run CAT6 because the cost difference is very little and at some point in the future you will want GB Ethernet.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Like others have mentioned, I know for a fact that the aTV does not HAVE to be connected to any Apple server to work.

My wife and I go RV'ing quite a bit and I have taken my Mac Mini + External Hard Drive + Airport Extreme to set up a WiFi network and Home Sharing, works like a champ with zero connection to the outside world, this is across an aTV2 and 3.

Also, if you're buying in bulk, CAT5 = $75/1000' , CAT5E = $80/1000' or CAT6 = $106/1000'

IMO, I'd run the CAT6 and be done with it, if Apple updates their devices to gigabit at a later point you're good.

CAT6 is good for gigabit to 10gigabit, CAT5E for gigabit, CAT5 for 1000Mbit

esmith2039

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
The reasoning for CAT6.. already have it! Let's just say it was a demo job at work and my house is the trash can. Good to know the ATV is only 100Mb although it does connect a bit faster versus wireless. I hate wireless if I can avoid it I will.. setup and ran a wireless ISP once. Used to have nightmares..

jwhazel

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005

awair

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
I'll admit to just being confused, rather than knowledgeable, but I'm with the OP mostly.

Why do you think the ATV has to be connected to Apple servers to play 3rd party content? What sense does that make for anyone

Dynamic menus: menu items appear/disappear 'at whim', when Apple servers dictate whether the content should be available. The items (that i've seen disappear) include Movies, TV Shows & Music, as well as Hulu, Netflix, and the Apple presentations. The only item that remains with loss of connectivity is for Computers (ie local content).

I would love to see a better explanation of why/how this works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.