Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:12 AM   #1
Samadams12
macrumors newbie

RAM won't seat properly....

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and registered to ask this question, sine I've googled and seached a ton and haven't found anything helpful.

I tried upgrading to 8GB ram last night, but the top one won't seat properly. The slot won't pop up, and can't slide it in at a 40 degree angle. The bottom one slid in like it should and I was able to press down and heard the click. But the top one will only go straight in lying flat down, and the gold connectors are still visible, it won't go all the way in.

Any suggestions? I tried pushing it in as hard as I dared without risking a break.
Samadams12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samadams12 View Post
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and registered to ask this question, sine I've googled and seached a ton and haven't found anything helpful.

I tried upgrading to 8GB ram last night, but the top one won't seat properly. The slot won't pop up, and can't slide it in at a 40 degree angle. The bottom one slid in like it should and I was able to press down and heard the click. But the top one will only go straight in lying flat down, and the gold connectors are still visible, it won't go all the way in.

Any suggestions? I tried pushing it in as hard as I dared without risking a break.
I had a similar problem upgrading. All I can tell you is unless that little slot divider is broken (the part where the gold connectors insert), just use a bit of elbow grease. My bottom slot was a bit hard to push in, but I finally got it.

Last edited by Luis2004; Jan 1, 2013 at 10:19 AM.
Luis2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:14 AM   #3
dasx
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Hi,

Does the original module get into place without problems?
Have you tried swapping the modules? (I mean, trying to put the one that sits properly in the lower slot into the upper one).

Try putting the original modules again. Both of them. You know they'll fit so keep trying until you get it. I can recall finding it a little more difficult to put the second ram module.

The 45 angle isn't that obvious and you end up with several attempts. I also recall having to press a little harder than expected.

But yes, don't press too hard. Be gentle. It'll eventually get in.
dasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Samadams12
macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, got it in finally. I just had to push harder. I was a little hesitant because it looks so fragile, but that's all it needed. Both slots are now recognized in Mac.

Samadams12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:42 AM   #5
donlab
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasx View Post

But yes, don't press too hard. Be gentle. It'll eventually get in.
That's what she said.
donlab is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:32 AM   #6
dasx
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlab View Post
that's what she said.
lol

----------

Quote:
Thanks guys, got it in finally. I just had to push harder. I was a little hesitant because it looks so fragile, but that's all it needed. Both slots are now recognized in Mac.

Enjoy now!
dasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:59 PM   #7
xlii
macrumors 68000

Glad you got it fixed. I had the same problem when I put my new ram in. That top slot... need a lot of elbow grease to go in.
xlii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:36 AM   #8
Westyfield2
macrumors 6502a

Mine was a bit harder than most laptops I've opened up, but went in eventually .
Mac Mini (2.6GHz quad i7, 16GB, 256GB SSD)
Westyfield2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini