Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbales

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
I have a six-month old MBA running 10.8.2 connected to a Wi-Fi using a new Extreme with up-to-date firmware/updates.

I am using WPA2 Personal with a 16-digit alpha-numeric p/w with special characters for both the master Network and the Guest Network.

I cannot post too much in regards to the "why's" due to the nature of my employer and the work I do there.

I've spent the last two hours scouring the net for answers. I read about DHCP client logs, but can't find them. I read something about NetStat via Terminal, but have no idea how to interpret the results.

I read something about TOR, but that doesn't keep intruders out of your Wi-Fi.

I just need to know: are intruders attempting a breach or evidence that they have hacked my Wi-Fi.

Any advise would be appreciated.

D

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
It's almost certain that with the level of encryption you are using that none but the most determined of teenagers hanging around outside your place and running alphanumeric combinations would even get close to obtaining access. In short, I think your are perfectly safe.

I have a similar setup with an added AE in the bedroom....Encryption is as high as yours....Nobody can get in. I don't think you need to spend money on high level security software unless you live someplace where hacking is rife.

dbales

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Mac Access Control. Not sure what that is.

I should also state that I have the Firewall turned ON. I have not activated Firevault (yet). I have Screen Sharing set to OFF. In the list of Sharing...I have nothing enabled.

These "hackers" have gone to extraordinary lengths to "keep tabs on me". Both cyber and physical.

I have tried to use my Guest Wi-Fi Network, but Mountain Lion keeps wanting to default me back to my master Network.

thanks,

D

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Turn off your guest network, and read up on MAC (your networks cards unique serial number) and enable it on the AirPort Extreme.

You can also install the older AirPort 5.6 app which will give you a better idea of what's connected.

dbales

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Thanks, blueroom.

I just unchecked the box next to the Guest Network, essentially shutting it down. Cool.

If I can set my Extreme to where only my computer can log in, that would be brilliant. But these guys are sophisticated SOBs and may be able to spoof my MAC address. Hacked iPhones, hacked cellphones, hacked GMail, Yahoo AT&T accounts, B&E....are standard fare.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you're that worried about others breaking into your wireless network, perhaps the only real option is to turn wireless OFF, and connect via Ethernet -- even with your laptops...

dbales

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
blueroom/fishrrman,

I did that for a while: going directly from the modem to my thunderbolt port and a Ethernet dongle. But then I read somewhere that that is worse and that it is "safer" to go through a router. i.e. wireless router.

I dunno. I'm just trying to find the safest, most-secure means of using the Internet. Maybe I should look into a VPN.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
On top of MAC access control you could check to "hide your network".
This doesn't broadcast your WiFi name but you'll have to know the exact name to have a chance at connecting to it.
Basically hiding it in plain sight from the avg internet snooper.

There are still ways to find the network so you're essentially throwing some camouflage and hoping noone sees it but with passwords and MAC access control you should be just fine.

dbales

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Does this mean anything to anyone?

Thx.

96ggv4.png

----------

On top of MAC access control you could check to "hide your network".
This doesn't broadcast your WiFi name but you'll have to know the exact name to have a chance at connecting to it.
Basically hiding it in plain sight from the avg internet snooper.

There are still ways to find the network so you're essentially throwing some camouflage and hoping noone sees it but with passwords and MAC access control you should be just fine.

Thank you. I'll find that and do it. I'm going to reboot my Extreme, make new Network names and p/w's, disable the Guest account, and then hide my network.

dbales

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
I'm intrigued
I'd love to know why you are having these issues

Can't get into any detailed specifics on a public forum, due to the nature of my employer/employment. I know, clandestine, but it needs to be.

----------

The AE has a setting under access control for MAC filtering. Easy.

Is this feature in the Airport Utility under the Network tab? There's something called "Enable Access Control", but that looks like something to set the time users have access to the Wi-Fi.

thanks.

dbales

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
If they are trying to steal confidential work data from you, maybe your employer should be securing your network

I am contractually prohibited to work from home. This is more to do with the prevention of personal data/info leaking out to data miners.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
If it is truly that clandestine and vital, there are surely better places to seek advice than a public Mac forum.

Reactions: mwebb

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Go to
Airport Utility ->
Network ->
Check Enable Access Control ->
Click Timed Access Control ->
Under Wireless Clients, Click the + button ->
You should now notice a Description and MAC address bar.

Enter a description for the device connecting and it's MAC address.
Then under Wireless Access Time you may set an amount of time that each device can connect to your network.

Attachments

• .png
    .png
    136.9 KB · Views: 154

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
Does this mean anything to anyone?

Thx.

----------

looks a little strange to me, its possible you have a client side exploit that has been successful on your machine.

some of those IP addresses resolve to locations in Australia, Israel, Iran, and then some in the US.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I cannot post too much in regards to the "why's" due to the nature of my employer and the work I do there.

----------------------------------------------

Can't get into any detailed specifics on a public forum, due to the nature of my employer/employment. I know, clandestine, but it needs to be.

No offense. But if you are using SOHO grade infrastructure components secured only by "WPA2 Personal" in your operations, its not as clandestine as you think it is or needs to be. No sensitive information operation would rely on consumer grade security to protect its information. Especially ones described as "clandestine".

And I'm surprised how many folks still think MAC filtering and SSID hiding are security measures. MAC address filtering and SSID hiding are NOT security measures. The only folks they keep out are users who are too disinterested to circumvent it, and those are not the one you need worry about. The most amateur of network hackers will overcome those measures in seconds. There are a multitude of GUI based utilities readily available (KISMAC for one) that will list in seconds every hidden network in my neighborhood.

And even though WPA2 is pretty damn secure it is not sufficient to protect sensitive information that would be described as "clandestine". You need to implement at least enterprise level wireless keying, solid enterprise firewall device, use secure VPN connectivity out over the internet to client/sister sites, and ensure you have reasonable tempest controls in place. IF you need to be "clandestine".

All that aside, you need not worry about log monitoring and advanced detection practices, WPA2 is plenty to secure your SOHO network from nosey neighbors ;)

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
You could also set a pre-determined amount of IP addresses to be allowed to connect.
I use the 10.0.1.x to make it easier to keep track of than 192.168.254.x.

Say you will only ever have 5 devices connected to the router ever.
You can set static IP addresses for each device.
Allow IP's from 10.0.1.2 - 10.0.1.6
That on top of a hidden network and MAC access control with as long of a password as you can come up with (AlphaNumericCAPS&symbols) should make it quite difficult to gain access to your network.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Okay, I'll stop prying
Just all seems very strange
Not if he's working for or a contractor for the DOD. That'd be perfectly normal. Only one person I know who works as a contractor for DOD, and I know a lot, isn't all that concerned about personal data and that's because there are only a few people in the world that has the knowledge he does so he's not afraid of being fired over a polygraph like the rest are.

To the OP, don't use MAC filtering for security purposes. Not only is it extremely insecure it could actually cause you issues without causing the spoofer any. A good secure WPA2 password, maybe even longer than you have, will take someone longer to crack than they'll live.

If you're paranoid, ethernet is the only way to go. Hackers would have to have physical access somewhere along the chain or hack into your firewall instead at that point. It doesn't matter if it's plugged straight into the modem or through a router in your house.

You could also set a pre-determined amount of IP addresses to be allowed to connect.
I use the 10.0.1.x to make it easier to keep track of than 192.168.254.x.

Say you will only ever have 5 devices connected to the router ever.
You can set static IP addresses for each device.
Allow IP's from 10.0.1.2 - 10.0.1.6
That's a good idea actually.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.