Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:21 PM   #1
LeicaMan111
macrumors member

Bitlocker with Boot Camp?

I have very private and sensitive data on my MacBook Pro. Hence I use the full disk File Vault encryption (with Snow Leopard I used to use PGP!).

If I make a partition for Boot Camp and Windows 8, can I secure that partition with Bitlocker or File Vault? So both Mac OS X and Windows 8 are encrypted and secure?

Thanks.
LeicaMan111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:18 PM   #2
iMacDragon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeicaMan111 View Post
I have very private and sensitive data on my MacBook Pro. Hence I use the full disk File Vault encryption (with Snow Leopard I used to use PGP!).

If I make a partition for Boot Camp and Windows 8, can I secure that partition with Bitlocker or File Vault? So both Mac OS X and Windows 8 are encrypted and secure?

Thanks.
I believe it won't work easily due to the requirement of two ntfs partitions, one to bootstrap the other, but unsure if in practice it can be got to work.
iMacDragon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:14 AM   #3
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

Yes but you might not be able to upgrade to anything higher than Snow Leopard because of the extra partition Lion/ML sets up.

IMO you would be better off using Parallels, VMWare or VirtualBox. But if you really want to the steps are bellow (I can't get details right now):

Quote:
  1. Add a 200MB FAT32 partition in Disk Utility
  2. Add a second FAT32 partition for Windows in Disk Utility
  3. Restart into Windows Setup
  4. Open diskpart in a Command Prompt
  5. Re-Format the 200MB partition as FAT32 and Mark it Active
  6. Format the your main Windows Partition as NTFS
  7. Quit the Command Prompt and go through Windows Setup
Note: 200MB in Snow Leopard is not 200MB in Windows, in Disk Utility choose 209.80MB (thats a little more than 200MB in Windows).
Quad5Ny is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac