Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:27 AM   #1
ahmadka
macrumors newbie

New to iOS & iPhone 5 - Have some Q's regarding SMS ..

Hi guys ... Well yesterday I made the move to go from my Android (after 2 years on it) to iPhone 5 ... Spent the whole of yesterday doing all the migration stuff

I have some questions regarding the SMS feature. My business actually requires me to do a lot of communication via SMS, so that's why I need the features listed below. I don't mind buying a paid 3rd party app for it as well, if needed.

1) How can I store 'quick texts' in my iPhone 5 ? That is, store a few SMSs which I'll likely be sending repeatedly to different people ?

2) Scheduled SMS ? Is there a way to have an SMS sent to a specific person at a specific time ?

3) Is there any way to send texts to people via your PC ? Sometime I have to type *really long* SMSs (big enough to get split across 6-7 small SMSs), and so texting via a PC is a blessing for such scenarios ... Is this possible somehow ?

4) Send SMS to an entire group ? I have different groups defined in my Google Contacts, which I was able to bring to my iPhone 5 via a 3rd party app. So suppose I want to send an SMS to an entire group ? Also, manually adding group members to an SMS thread is virtually impossible, as the groups can contain as much as 50 ~ 70 people !

And like I said, I don't mind buying any 3rd party apps to get the above functionality

And lastly, do note that I only intend to send normal carrier-based SMS texts .. Nothing over the internet, and nothing through MMS ..

Last edited by ahmadka; Dec 30, 2012 at 02:36 AM.
ahmadka is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:01 AM   #2
matttye
macrumors 601

1) store them in notes and use the share button to send them from there.

2) not possible with stock iOS but you might want to try this:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/emai...548128380?mt=8

3) not possible with iOS itself but you could try this app:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/sms-...491632249?mt=8

Alternatively buy a Bluetooth keyboard. Works really well. I have one keyboard for my PC, iPhone and iPad, and I just pair it with whichever device I want to use it with.

4) again not possible by default but there's an app:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/text...519077434?mt=8

Hope this helps I haven't tried any of the apps so there may be better ones available.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:13 AM   #3
Gav2k
macrumors 601

1, setting > general > keyboard > add new shortcut
Gav2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:14 AM   #4
Zeromancer
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post

2) not possible with stock iOS but you might want to try this:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/emai...548128380?mt=8

Alternatively buy a Bluetooth keyboard. Works really well. I have one keyboard for my PC, iPhone and iPad, and I just pair it with whichever device I want to use it with.

Hope this helps I haven't tried any of the apps so there may be better ones available.
3) is possible with messages on OSX

and 4) You can just send texts to People at Once with the + button or typing more names.
Zeromancer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:29 AM   #5
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeromancer View Post
3) is possible with messages on OSX

and 4) You can just send texts to People at Once with the + button or typing more names.
3) He said PC, not OS X.

4) He said there's 50-70 people in his group, so adding them all individually is not really a viable solution.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:10 PM   #6
bjb.butler
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bjb.butler Send a message via Skype™ to bjb.butler
You should've stuck with android
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:14 PM   #7
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
3) He said PC, not OS X.

4) He said there's 50-70 people in his group, so adding them all individually is not really a viable solution.
4) Grouping is possible with PC/Mac iCloud syncing or some apps in the App Store like Groups 2.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:25 PM   #8
lelisa13p
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb.butler View Post
How, pray tell, is that helpful to the OP?
lelisa13p is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:51 AM   #9
ahmadka
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies guys ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
1, setting > general > keyboard > add new shortcut
What is this for ?

Quote:
Thanks. I will try this out. Kinda lethargic, having to switch between apps, but at least its better than nothing ..

Quote:

Has extremely bad reviews ... Sounds too good to be true for the iOS platform, but I'll check it out anyways .. Bluetooth keyboard is probably a good idea, but I actually use a laptop, so if I buy this, it'll only be for the iOS devices, which would not be efficient really ..

Quote:

I tried an app named 'Groups' (http://appshopper.com/productivity/g...cts-management) to send an SMS to an already defined group. The group to which I sent the SMS contained 46 people. I asked them if they received that SMS, and so far half of the people have confirmed that they received it .. The other half haven't said anything so far, so I'm assuming that didn't receive it .... Any ideas what might be causing this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb.butler View Post
Yeah that was a bit harsh ..
ahmadka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:24 AM   #10
Gav2k
macrumors 601

It allows you to set up a alphanumeric string that triggers a sentence. Like omw becomes On my way!
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:41 AM   #11
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

I use an app called 'templates' which i got from the uk app store.

With this i can set up texts i send regular.

iPhone 5s 16GB Space Grey - iOS 7.1.2
iPad Air 16GB Space Grey. - iOS 7.1.2
bandofbrothers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:18 AM   #12
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post
I tried an app named 'Groups' (http://appshopper.com/productivity/g...cts-management) to send an SMS to an already defined group. The group to which I sent the SMS contained 46 people. I asked them if they received that SMS, and so far half of the people have confirmed that they received it .. The other half haven't said anything so far, so I'm assuming that didn't receive it .... Any ideas what might be causing this ?
How long did you leave it? 46 text messages would take quite a long time to send, especially around new year when networks are oversaturated with well wishing messages

And I think Gav2k meant that you could use the text shortcuts feature instead of templates, so you could create a shortcut to automatically change "hhau" to "Hello, how are you?" for example.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:55 AM   #13
ahmadka
macrumors newbie

I actually did another test 2 days ago ... I sent those 46 texts to 46 people, in which I asked them to reply back if they received that text ... So far 56% of people have replied back that they HAVE received that text .. The other 44% have not said anything so far .. :/

Also, through my tests I've noticed that some people randomly miss out in receiving group texts ... That is, suppose I send 2 batches of those texts, some people WILL receive the first one, and not the second, and vica versa ..

What can be causing this ? Probably a bug in iOS ?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:24 PM   #14
Rocko1
macrumors 68000

Apple stores offer free classes on how to use the iPhone. Might be a good place to start.
Rocko1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 02:11 PM   #15
ahmadka
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post
Apple stores offer free classes on how to use the iPhone. Might be a good place to start.
lol, I hope that wasn't supposed to be sarcastic

I've figured and resolved everything more or less .. Only this group messaging thing is still not 100% resolved .... If I send out a text to 46 people, about 50% receive it while the other 50% don't ... If I now send another 46 texts to the same 46 people, a different set of about 50% now receive it, while the other 50% dont ... Since there's inconsistency here, I feel its probably an error on the OS's part ? Maybe it skips out on some people randomly ?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 02:15 PM   #16
lelisa13p
macrumors 65816

FWIW, my sister has the same problem. She regularly group-texts friends & family to keep us updated on a family member's progress while in hospital. About half of us don't get the messages and it doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason as to who gets left out of any given batch.
lelisa13p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:02 PM   #17
Rocko1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post
lol, I hope that wasn't supposed to be sarcastic

I've figured and resolved everything more or less .. Only this group messaging thing is still not 100% resolved .... If I send out a text to 46 people, about 50% receive it while the other 50% don't ... If I now send another 46 texts to the same 46 people, a different set of about 50% now receive it, while the other 50% dont ... Since there's inconsistency here, I feel its probably an error on the OS's part ? Maybe it skips out on some people randomly ?
What did Apple tech support say?
Rocko1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:22 PM   #18
ahmadka
macrumors newbie

Haven't asked them yet. Official help doesn't ever really help imo, unless its Amazon

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone