Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:52 AM   #401
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibelf View Post
Parking your car isn't a physical good. Neither is cleaning your house. Or doing your taxes. Or babysitting your kids. People still pay for these things. Why? Because you don't deserve things for free, no matter how self-absorbed and entitled you want to act.

----------

So to you as long as it isn't TOO expensive for your financial situation, it's okay to just steal. Okay then.
I didn't say to steal anything. I just said I JB to get themes and not everyone JB their phone to steal apps.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:21 AM   #402
rutledjw
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpran View Post
If they can differentiate between pirated copy and original copy of the client software, why don't they just restrict access to the server for the pirated one?
I don't think they can tell by connection. What they're saying is that we sold X copies and X+Y connections are showing up, where Y is a VERY large number. Clearly this was an oversight in design. There wasn't a user token or similar in there. I'd imagine they can do some re-design and fix the game. But who knows? Until you get into the code, it's hard to really say what it would take. So any statements are conjecture.

And if they're tapped out on funds, it might not be worth it to them. Either way it sucks. I've long had a dim view of pirates - regardless of large or small companies...
rutledjw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:32 AM   #403
rutledjw
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00min View Post
I'm surprised people don't understand the difference between theft and copyright infringement.

If I were to walk into HMV and steal a CD that's theft, I'm depriving HMV of their item and their ability to sell it. If I were to download a movie I'm effectively taking a copy, the original (if that term is even applicable for downloads) is still there. That's a big difference.
This is probably one of the most pathetic justifications I've read. You're stealing. Period.. You can try to paint it as something different, but you're taking something with providing due compensation. You're "depriving" them of revenue. In a digital world, it's the same thing as taking a physical item. How can that not be obvious?

Clearly you don't build anything for your work, or you would be outraged by what you describe. When I write code for work, I expect to be compensated for it. If someone commits "copyright infringement" (stealing) then I'm not getting what is due.
rutledjw is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:00 PM   #404
m00min
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutledjw View Post
This is probably one of the most pathetic justifications I've read. You're stealing. Period.. You can try to paint it as something different, but you're taking something with providing due compensation. You're "depriving" them of revenue. In a digital world, it's the same thing as taking a physical item. How can that not be obvious?
Firstly, I don't pirate anything. I was trying to explain the difference between stealing and copyright infringement. Both are wrong but there is a difference.

Secondly, one download does not automatically equate to one lost sale. There are serial downloaders who will hoard everything they can get their hands on. They probably never even play/listen/watch it all, and it's highly unlikely they'd have ever bought the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutledjw View Post
Clearly you don't build anything for your work, or you would be outraged by what you describe. When I write code for work, I expect to be compensated for it. If someone commits "copyright infringement" (stealing) then I'm not getting what is due.
I'm a web designer and developer, so I understand exactly what I've described. You seem to have a very simplistic view however.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:14 PM   #405
stridemat

MOD NOTE

Open.

Last edited by stridemat; Dec 10, 2012 at 01:21 PM.
stridemat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:21 PM   #406
rutledjw
macrumors member

Quote:
Firstly, I don't pirate anything. I was trying to explain the difference between stealing and copyright infringement. Both are wrong but there is a difference.

Secondly, one download does not automatically equate to one lost sale. There are serial downloaders who will hoard everything they can get their hands on. They probably never even play/listen/watch it all, and it's highly unlikely they'd have ever bought the thing.

I'm a web designer and developer, so I understand exactly what I've described. You seem to have a very simplistic view however.
Yes, I feel quite enlightened. This debate between stealing and "copyright infringement" is a red herring and I fail to see how your statements add anything nor how my stance is "simplistic". But, by all means, point out the distinction if it makes you feel better.

I'm annoyed with this entire thread
rutledjw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:31 AM   #407
jowie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
2 - I added in some code that assigns each user a unique ID. I can shut down users that pirate the app.
I'd be interested in hearing more about this. Even if you assign each user a unique ID, how do you know which ones are pirates and which ones are legit?
jowie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:19 AM   #408
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 601

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowie View Post
I'd be interested in hearing more about this. Even if you assign each user a unique ID, how do you know which ones are pirates and which ones are legit?
The ID doesn't change when they upload and distribute the app. All I have to do is download the pirated app, check the ID, and I can shut it down.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:21 AM   #409
jowie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
The ID doesn't change when they upload and distribute the app. All I have to do is download the pirated app, check the ID, and I can shut it down.
But where do you get the ID from? If someone downloads your app, hacks it and distributes it, how do you know that app came from a particular user?
jowie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:18 AM   #410
besweeet2
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to besweeet2
Quote:
But where do you get the ID from? If someone downloads your app, hacks it and distributes it, how do you know that app came from a particular user?
My guess is to have the app check for iTunesMetadata.plist within the root of the sandboxed app, since cracked apps tend to remove it. This, to Mme, would be the most basic approach.
besweeet2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:30 AM   #411
jowie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by besweeet2 View Post
My guess is to have the app check for iTunesMetadata.plist within the root of the sandboxed app, since cracked apps tend to remove it. This, to Mme, would be the most basic approach.
I found this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...ios-app-hacked

This leads me to believe that since it is possible to detect that an app is hacked, this Battle Dungeon article is possibly a publicity stunt...
jowie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:52 AM   #412
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 601

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
I found this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...ios-app-hacked

This leads me to believe that since it is possible to detect that an app is hacked, this Battle Dungeon article is possibly a publicity stunt...
I'd suggest they should just release an update that:

1 - Detects if its pirated and disallows online play.
2 - Sends a code that the server verifies that the prior (cracked) version never would have.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:51 PM   #413
muthuka
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to muthuka
Thumbs up Piracy

Piracy is bad. Doesn't matter if it's for Small Dev or big company. They deserve to get paid for their work. Coming with other excuses don't make it a good thing.

I started a company only after I was affected with piracy. We didn't go anywhere since developers didn't believe in trying our solution out. But it's a great thing that itself stopped abruptly this way. Good beginning.
muthuka is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:58 PM   #414
BergerFan
macrumors 68000

Good news on the piracy front - Hackulous is shutting down.
BergerFan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 04:46 AM   #415
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacNicholson View Post
i pirate games, and if i like them i'll buy them. if i dont i delete the game.
i.e. a demo...
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:27 AM   #416
ZacNicholson
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ZacNicholson
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsRgr8 View Post
i.e. a demo...
not all games have a demo
ZacNicholson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 01:07 PM   #417
BergerFan
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacNicholson View Post
i pirate games, and if i like them i'll buy them. if i dont i delete the game.
Such a pleasant fiction.
BergerFan is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 01:16 PM   #418
NewAnger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergerFan View Post
Good news on the piracy front - Hackulous is shutting down.
It won't stop piracy though. I know of several message boards where current and all brand new apps are traded.

Pirated apps will never go away.
NewAnger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 01:51 PM   #419
yusukeaoki
macrumors 68030

I honestly do not mind pirating.
I personally pirate games, ones that dont have demos.

I play it and if I like it, I buy the game.
If I dont, I delete the pirated game.
yusukeaoki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 02:03 PM   #420
Rodster
macrumors 68020

Don't know why people pirate apps? There is so much free which are full paid apps available and Starbucks gives away free codes to full retail apps. I've received codes for Rayman, Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect, Sonic Jump and Sonic Ep 2. That's just a small sampling of the free stuff that's available.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:44 PM   #421
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebritches5 View Post
You can't steal information.
So secret services do not steal information? iLOL

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:01 PM   #422
XboxMySocks
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergerFan View Post
Such a pleasant fiction.
You act as if this is false. It's true. I know a lot of people who do it. Myself included
XboxMySocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:07 PM   #423
shoulin333
macrumors 6502a

Steam/ VAC secure solved this problem for VALVE... Why can't their servers validate the copies against a database of valid keys of some sort. Or even just send a code to their email address when they buy the game, that email contains a unique link necessary to create and account for the game. There will always be hackers/stealers but unless Devs stand up and implement readily available counter measures and stop just giving up they will not be slowed down.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:33 PM   #424
bumblebritches5
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
So secret services do not steal information? iLOL
Hmm, that's a good question, the secret service and fbi and all that do steal information, and the difference is pretty obvious, there's nothing private about a commercial app.
bumblebritches5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:12 PM   #425
MadDawg2020
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamcha View Post
Sad, but I doubt piracy will ever end. I think developers need to find different ways to fund their projects, one example is kickstarter..

People are willing to pay for great ideas or games, it's evident with the success of many projects in Kickstarter.

I'm not sure of the ins and outs of game development, but we gotta find different ways to fight piracy, DRM doesn't really work..

All DRM does is ruin the experience for paying customers. The games get pirated either way.. I remember tons of upset customers because of Ubisoft DRM..

Anyway, I think anyone would be open to good suggestions..
This never makes sense to me, people are more than willing to pay $20 to a hack in a garage using kickstarter campaign to start a 'cool' new project. Why bother? Once that same project is actually up and running as an actual app, it is declared evil, because a developer wants a whole $4.99 the buy the game!
If i am correct there was also a freeware version so you could try the game out before you buy!

If that is too much then maybe we should all go back to playing XBOX and PS3, games only cost about ten times as much there and few if any of those big game developers offer usable demos for their games!

So instead of paying someone a VERY reasonable fee for their work, people just rip them off, overload the system and since many of these copies are illegally stolen, then the developer cannot afford to pay for the server and other resources needed to upkeep and further enhance the game.

----------

Quote:
Yeah and these serial downloaders you speak of... so they just hoard everything they can get their hands on... they would never go and upload it to sites and torrents where others can copy from!!! Because its fun to waste hours downloading and filling terabytes of hard drives with stuff you will NEVER play/listen/watch.

or i dunno maybe in your world they just store them away these files on floppy disk never to be used again?
MadDawg2020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion